Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General News News as it appears on the frontpage of Rage3D.com

"

Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwards

AMD AMD updates the Catalyst release schedule; pre-DX11 hardware updates 4 times a year

This afternoon we received an email from AMD explaining their new Driver Support model for older hardware:

AMD will be moving the AMD Radeon™ HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series of products to a new driver support model. We will continue to support the mentioned products in our Catalyst releases, but we’re moving their updates to a quarterly basis, whereas our AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later products will continue to see monthly updates. The Quarterly Catalyst releases will focus on resolving application specific issues and critical updates.

The reason for the shift in support policy is largely due to the fact that the AMD Radeon HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series have been optimized to their maximum potential from a performance and feature perspective.

The 8.97 based driver, released in May 2012 will be the first driver for the AMD Radeon HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series under the new support model; it is an extremely stable and robust driver branch for these products and will be the baseline for our quarterly updates.

Our main development and testing efforts will now be focused on the AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 and later products. This is the best use of our resources, as the AMD Radeon HD 5000, AMD Radeon HD 6000, AMD Radeon HD 7000, and future products have the greatest potential for further performance and feature enhancements.

Also with regards to Windows 8 support for the AMD Radeon™ HD 2000, 3000, 4000 Series of products; the In-the-box AMD Graphics driver that ships with Windows 8 will include support for the AMD Radeon HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 Series, and it will support the WDDM 1.1 driver level features. The AMD Catalyst driver for Windows 8 will only include support for WDDM 1.2 support products (AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later).
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:38 PM   #2
kn00tcn
zero-zero

kn00tcn is still being judged by the masses

coincidentally an 8.97 'win8' leak happened & it's looking interesting
OpenGL startup crash fix #1 / fix #2 (for < radeon 6000 cards?)
better crossfire for Section8 Prejudice, Hydrophobia, UDK
kn00tcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3
poohbear
Rage3D Veteran

poohbear is still being judged by the masses

makes total sense. why update this old hardware every month when most of the updates don't even apply to them? better to focus on the new stuff and let those with 4 year old cards get quarterly updates.
2500k @ 4.4ghz @ 1.35v on Noctua NH-D14, 16GB (2x8gb) Crucial Ballistex @ CL9-9-9-24, Gigabyte Z68 UD4 B3, Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI, 240gb OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition & 2TB WD Black, Auzentech Forte 7.1, Seasonic 760wt Platinum, Corsair 300R, Win7 64
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan is still being judged by the masses

Your card is 4 years old next year. Youre okay with it going legacy by then? What if you had two 5870s?
Antec P180 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | Intel i5-3570K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | ASUS GTX 770 DCU-II OC | SyncMaster 2433BW 1920X1200 | Razer Lachesis | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 8.1 Professional

Google Nexus 4 | franco.Kernel
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:22 AM   #5
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
Your card is 4 years old next year. Youre okay with it going legacy by then? What if you had two 5870s?
Most, the overwhelming majority, people upgrade every 24-36mo. Few people upgrade every 12-18mo., and fewer still under that, but similarly at the other end of the curve, upgrades at 48-60mo at scarce.

In September of 2013, when the 5000 series is 4 years old, we might be in a different position; I don't think this decision indicates a written in stone policy decision.

AMD have to support their APU's as well as discrete graphics AIB's, and those APU's use the same graphics hardware as the 5000 series. This might push the support for that series of graphics products out a lot longer.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Clockwork
Rage3D Spammer

Clockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete stranger

I still have a 4890 and honestly haven't felt the need to upgrade. It performs vastly better than what I get out of a console, and that's good enough for me.

I'm not too happy that we won't see Catalyst controls.

(I'm running the Win 8 CP)
"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides." - Carl Sagan
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:50 AM   #7
poohbear
Rage3D Veteran

poohbear is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
i'll upgrade by then, but regardless if they give me a new driver every 4 months i'd still be happy. I don't update my driver every month, only if it addresses a game i play regularly, so no biggie.
2500k @ 4.4ghz @ 1.35v on Noctua NH-D14, 16GB (2x8gb) Crucial Ballistex @ CL9-9-9-24, Gigabyte Z68 UD4 B3, Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI, 240gb OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition & 2TB WD Black, Auzentech Forte 7.1, Seasonic 760wt Platinum, Corsair 300R, Win7 64
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:55 PM   #8
LivDoug

LivDoug is still being judged by the masses

I was planning on upgrading my 4870x2 over the next couple months, after this news I dont think ill be sticking with amd any longer. I have always been loyal. But my current card basically being shunned by them when it still work great for most every games on the maeket today. I was looking forward to the 7970, but if they stick to their guns on this(im sure they prob will). Nvidia will have my business from here onout
LivDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:36 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivDoug View Post
I was planning on upgrading my 4870x2 over the next couple months,

it still work great for most every games on the maeket today.
so.... why are you upgrading?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Litennörd
Radeon HD 6870

Litennörd is still being judged by the masses

In regards to upgrading, well, enthusiasts are enthusiasts

My mindset though, I prefer to upgrade when my GPU struggles in the games I play (graphical differences depends on the games, but let's set the bar somewhere below medium)...And with the majority of games still being DX9 console ports, that hasn't yet happened

I've seen quite alot of people say that they see no reason to go for a upgrade their aged GPUs yet, because they don't play the games where it really makes a difference
Litennörd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:23 AM   #11
caveman-jim
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litennörd View Post
I've seen quite alot of people say that they see no reason to go for a upgrade their aged GPUs yet, because they don't play the games where it really makes a difference
In that case, won't they be unaffected by the change in support as they're not playing the titles that need the fixes?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Litennörd
Radeon HD 6870

Litennörd is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
In that case, won't they be unaffected by the change in support as they're not playing the titles that need the fixes?
New titles may need new fixes, regardless if they are demanding or not

To make an extreme example, if AMD had moved their DX10/10.1 cards to legacy at this time last year, all these users had been forced to wait for much longer to get Rage fixed
Litennörd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Clockwork
Rage3D Spammer

Clockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I don't care about the time they take. I care about the fact that I don't have the Catalyst Control Panel in Win 8 and according to AMD I won't.
"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides." - Carl Sagan
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:53 PM   #14
caveman-jim
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
I care about the fact that I don't have the Catalyst Control Panel in Win 8 and according to AMD I won't.
Are you sure? Windows 8 will have inside a HD 2000 - 4000 driver, you think there will be no way to install CCC?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Clockwork
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Are you sure? Windows 8 will have inside a HD 2000 - 4000 driver, you think there will be no way to install CCC?
Not in a way AMD supports.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:48 PM   #16
caveman-jim
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
Not in a way AMD supports.
You're sure?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 09:43 PM   #17
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

Linux as well? or is Linux support still going to be EOL'd as reported?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:36 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Retired

Linux support isn't EOL AFAIK.