Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Operating Systems » Linux
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Linux Forum to discuss the popular Open Source operating system, plus other *NIX derivatives. Discussions about AMD Catalyst drivers can be had in the relevant subforum.

"

Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 is still being judged by the masses

Default HD7950 as fast as 680 GTX in linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e_gtx680&num=1

Its the first set of official Linux drivers from both camps. To be fair there's a bench or two where the nvidia card jumps out but I'm, pleasantly, surprised that AMD's drivers are as good as they are for Linux.
DiaperJe|\|i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2
noko
Rage3D Veteran

noko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynoko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Trying out LinuxMint 12, loaded Catalyst 12.3 but it has the basic interface. How do I get the advance interface to show if you know? Thanks.
FX8350 4.6ghz, Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro, Asus Sabortooth 990fx, 8gb DDR3 2133, Asus/PowerColor Radeon R9 290x/ 290, XFire, 950w PC pwr & cooling PS, 128gb Kingston SSD and 1tb WD SATA III, 27" IPS YHAMAKASI Catleap. Win7

HTPC - ASUS M5A88-M ATi 880G AM3+ chipset, FX8120, 750w P/S, PowerColor Radeon HD 7970, 8gb Ripjaw DDR3 1600, 1TB SATA III Seagate, MicroATX Silverstone box, 60" LED HDTV, Win8.1 Pro 64
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:00 PM   #3
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

No clue. If I get some free time I'll install fedora core on my main box and find out for ya.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:33 AM   #4
noko
Rage3D Veteran

noko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynoko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I toasted the install, will have to reinstall Mint 12. Used the distro proprietary AMD driver which gave scambled fonts, a real picture show of characters. Anyways I removed that driver which got rid of all graphical drivers so I just boot up into Grub. Not experience enough to get X-org (what ever the graphical layer is) back up. At LinuxMint forums looks like I have to remove the X-org driver then install the AMD 12.3 drivers. When you install the AMD drivers it tells you it will be in basic mode for CCC and says to configure it for advance somehow, very vague. In terminal using aticonfig --help a list of driver commands appear for virtually everything except CCC mode . Aticonfig you can adjust OverDrive, read temperatures etc. Have not figured out how to configure CCC though, documentation for the linux is very weak also following the AMD procedure to uninstall does nothing, command not recognize. So I will start over and see what other trouble I will get myself into and how much more time I can waste. As a note I did get 12.3 installed, it just did not play any games at all, no real 3d.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:10 AM   #5
noko
Rage3D Veteran

Reinstalled Mint and AMD drivers. Actually was able to play a game this time. Figured out that Advance mode in Linux is using the Terminal and aticonfig commands. There is no advance mode CCC in other words. The CCC is old style and basically basic style of the old interface. AMD drivers for Linux (12.3) has way less features then the Windows counterpart. No MLAA, no AA EQ setting, no video filters, no profiles. Playing flash videos the cpu goes over 50% so hardware acceleration is not as good as in Windows if at all. This is 6 cores, PII at 3ghz. Playing a DVD looks like crap when full screen since all the cool video stuff with the drivers in Windows are absent. To read temperatures, GPU/mem speeds, set OverDrive and CFX parameters you have to use the terminal with amdconfig commands.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:54 AM   #6
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

Sorry, I've had not time to try this. The wife has been gone on training and I've been playing single parent for a week.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:36 AM   #7
FiggyG
Rage3D Veteran

FiggyG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFiggyG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Reinstalled Mint and AMD drivers. Actually was able to play a game this time. Figured out that Advance mode in Linux is using the Terminal and aticonfig commands. There is no advance mode CCC in other words. The CCC is old style and basically basic style of the old interface. AMD drivers for Linux (12.3) has way less features then the Windows counterpart. No MLAA, no AA EQ setting, no video filters, no profiles. Playing flash videos the cpu goes over 50% so hardware acceleration is not as good as in Windows if at all. This is 6 cores, PII at 3ghz. Playing a DVD looks like crap when full screen since all the cool video stuff with the drivers in Windows are absent. To read temperatures, GPU/mem speeds, set OverDrive and CFX parameters you have to use the terminal with amdconfig commands.
Yeah dude, video playback on Linux is not good at all with AMD (radeon or catalyst drivers). NV is fine with proprietary drivers that support VDPAU, Intel (VA-API) is good too... they support video acceleration. To what extent, I'll have to find out. You can get Catalyst to use VA-API as well, but it's buggy.
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:12 PM   #8
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:01 AM   #9
noko
Rage3D Veteran

Did some OpenGL testing with famous and utterly used here at Rage3d for every discussion. Kidding aside, Heaven 3, oh boy! Anyways since it has a Linux version and Windows version it helps in comparing the two. OpenGL Linux did better over Windows, DX though was significantly better in the end for performance. Quality wise they look utterly the same. System is HPTC system in signature

Settings used
720p and 1080p
4x AA
Shaders and textures high
Filter Tri
Anso 4x
Occlusion, Refraction and volumetric - Enabled
Tessellation Moderate

LinuxMint ogl/Win8 ogl/Win8 dx11

720p
fps 18.7/16.8/26.6
score 471/423/670
min 11.2/9.6/14.3
max 33.4/32.4/53.2

1080p
fps 10.6/10/16.1
score 268/252/406
min 5.8/5.8/10
max 17.4/17.5/31.7

OpenGL on these tests where better in LinuxMint and 12.4 drivers but DX11 blew away OpenGL performance on this benchmark.
FX8350 4.6ghz, Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro, Asus Sabortooth 990fx, 8gb DDR3 2133, Asus/PowerColor Radeon R9 290x/ 290, XFire, 950w PC pwr & cooling PS, 128gb Kingston SSD and 1tb WD SATA III, 27" IPS YHAMAKASI Catleap. Win7

HTPC - ASUS M5A88-M ATi 880G AM3+ chipset, FX8120, 750w P/S, PowerColor Radeon HD 7970, 8gb Ripjaw DDR3 1600, 1TB SATA III Seagate, MicroATX Silverstone box, 60" LED HDTV, Win8.1 Pro 64