Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

"

Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:34 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Rage3D Spammer

Razeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I never thought I'd said this, but I'm really impressed with SkyDrive. MS finally figured this one out fantastically, plus I can create documents from the 'cloud' a la Google Docs. So it's a nice blend of Dropbox and Google Docs executed very well. This is a service I'd pay for if I should ever need more space.

My only issue it doesn't seem to perpetually sync. I have to close and re-open the app to get the syncing going again when I add new files and folders.

Question: When these guys say they are giving you 5GB or 25GB's, is the FULL 25GB's or are we taking hard-drive like capacity?

Last edited by Razeus : Apr 25, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:26 PM   #32
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Im pretty sure they mean real 25gbs, but i guess i havent seen anything in that sort of detail. As for your issues with sync, hmmm odd... i havent seen that. As soon as i make a change, rename add...etc, the changes are quickly pass through all of my devices.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Apr 25, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:10 PM   #33
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwards

My Google Drive is self aware
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:53 PM   #34
Razeus
Rage3D Spammer

Razeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRazeus doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
Im pretty sure they mean real 25gbs, but i guess i havent seen anything in that sort of detail. As for your issues with sync, hmmm odd... i havent seen that. As soon as i make a change, rename add...etc, the changes are quickly pass through all of my devices.
Apparently, I just needed to reboot my Mac. Works great now.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:54 PM   #35
Razeus
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
My Google Drive is self aware
How are you going to use your cloud storage "solutions"?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:22 PM   #36
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I think dropbpx will be the first casualty for me. Too many restrictions when uploading files. I havent seen anything yet but are they size restrictions when uploading to gdrive or skydrive?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:25 PM   #37
Razeus
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
I think dropbpx will be the first casualty for me. Too many restrictions when uploading files. I havent seen anything yet but are they size restrictions when uploading to gdrive or skydrive?
Skydrive max file size is 2GB
GDrive max files size is 10GB
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:48 PM   #38
ViCyniC
Rage3D Spammer

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

Amazon Cloud Drive pricing plan is a joke compared to Skydrive and especially GDrive. I actually would like to use Amazon for media archiving, but not at their current prices, now that I know what the competition are asking for.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:32 PM   #39
Razeus
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCyniC View Post
Amazon Cloud Drive pricing plan is a joke compared to Skydrive and especially GDrive. I actually would like to use Amazon for media archiving, but not at their current prices, now that I know what the competition are asking for.
Doesn't Amazon give 25GB when you buy an album? To be honest, I forget they had a solution. The last I checked you could only upload stuff.

I just checked Amazon and apparently they have a "Cloud Drive" service too that gives 5GB of space. It seems they got left out of the "data in the cloud" comparisons going around lately. I'm not quite sure why Amazon wants to get into the documents in the cloud business.

I also have Box.net, which gave me 50GB of space a few months back with some promotion.

If you were able to get 25GB off SkyDrive, then that is the best deal if you need to buy additional space.

Last edited by Razeus : Apr 26, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:41 PM   #40
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Doesn't Amazon give 25GB when you buy an album? To be honest, I forget they had a solution. The last I checked you could only upload stuff.

I just checked Amazon and apparently they have a "Cloud Drive" service too that gives 5GB of space. It seems they got left out of the "data in the cloud" comparisons going around lately. I'm not quite sure why Amazon wants to get into the documents in the cloud business.

I also have Box.net, which gave me 50GB of space a few months back with some promotion.

If you were able to get 25GB off SkyDrive, then that is the best deal if you need to buy additional space.
I have unlimited Amazon storage for buying albums on Amazon. Don't pay for crap. Not sure if it's related to Amazon Prime or not.
Quote:
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:04 PM   #41
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynecropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynecropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I have unlimited Amazon storage for buying albums on Amazon. Don't pay for crap. Not sure if it's related to Amazon Prime or not.
not related to prime at all... amazon mp3 purchases are not counted against cloud drive storage (they even went retroactive on this and gave people all the music they previously ordered from amazon mp3 on their cloud drive)

now they do offer unlimited storage for all music but only if you have one of the paid cloud drive options (this includes people who got in on the deal for a free upgrade to 20GB for buying an mp3 album)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:09 PM   #42
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropimp View Post
not related to prime at all... amazon mp3 purchases are not counted against cloud drive storage (they even went retroactive on this and gave people all the music they previously ordered from amazon mp3 on their cloud drive)

now they do offer unlimited storage for all music but only if you have one of the paid cloud drive options (this includes people who got in on the deal for a free upgrade to 20GB for buying an mp3 album)
I must have that free upgrade to unlimited, I bought an album as soon as the 20gb was offered and it eventually turned into unlimited.
Quote:
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:21 AM   #43
monkeydust
Rage3D Spammer

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Thanks for the heads up. I got gdrive and skydrive now. I need more than the 5g free that gdrive offers. So, with skydrive, is there a way just to point to an existing folder I want to be backed up? I got 7gb of pictures/videos in an existing folder that I don't have space enough to copy to new skydrive folder and I have programs that automatically write to that folder.
EVGA GTX 670 SC
Intel G2 160GB & 120GB & 240GB SSD
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:44 AM   #44
nrs421
Rage3D Veteran

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I got gdrive and skydrive now. I need more than the 5g free that gdrive offers. So, with skydrive, is there a way just to point to an existing folder I want to be backed up? I got 7gb of pictures/videos in an existing folder that I don't have space enough to copy to new skydrive folder and I have programs that automatically write to that folder.
when you set it up skydrive gives you the option of what folder to use. you could just point it to your folder instead of the default folder.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:03 AM   #45
Razeus
Rage3D Spammer

If you didn't use the Dropbox Beta, you can now get more space from them buy uploading 1 photo from your camera phone and get more space buy uploading more photos:

http://blog.dropbox.com/?p=1165
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:48 AM   #46
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynecropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynecropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

my one complaint about the camera upload feature is there is no way to set it to not upload videos

pictures that are always under 2MB each is fine... but videos that easily exceed 100MB i'd rather just dig out my usb cable
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:29 PM   #47
Razeus
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropimp View Post
my one complaint about the camera upload feature is there is no way to set it to not upload videos

pictures that are always under 2MB each is fine... but videos that easily exceed 100MB i'd rather just dig out my usb cable
I have an options in Preferences to uncheck "automatically upload photos and videos" or something like that. I think you have to go into Autoplay settings on Winblows. Are you saying it still uploads videos anyway?

I have 8.5GB of space for Dropbox now, so if anyone needs a referal, holla at me.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:52 PM   #48
monkeydust
Rage3D Spammer

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
when you set it up skydrive gives you the option of what folder to use. you could just point it to your folder instead of the default folder.
How? I'm in there again and I don't see how I can point to a specific existing folder.
EVGA GTX 670 SC
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:59 PM   #49
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Seeing that its already set up you need to unlink it from whatever folder its using now. Right click on the icon in the taskbar - settings - about and at the bottom of that page click UNLINK.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:49 PM   #50
Razeus
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
How? I'm in there again and I don't see how I can point to a specific existing folder.
Are you trying to do a Cloudception?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:02 PM   #51
monkeydust
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Are you trying to do a Cloudception?
I don't think so!

I see my folder as the shared folder now. But, I have subfolders that I want backed up but I don't see them listed.
EVGA GTX 670 SC
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:50 PM   #52
necropimp
666 Flavors

Quote:
I have an options in Preferences to uncheck "automatically upload photos and videos" or something like that. I think you have to go into Autoplay settings on Winblows. Are you saying it still uploads videos anyway?

I have 8.5GB of space for Dropbox now, so if anyone needs a referal, holla at me.
i have option to turn camera upload on or off but i want to set it to upload photos and ONLY photos

has nothing to do with windows or autoplay it's the dropbox app on my phone that i would like to have a little more control over
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:35 AM   #53
Thr0tt
Rage3D Veteran

Thr0tt is still being judged by the masses

Hmmm, would be nice if the windoze app showed me the speed of uploadvor gave me the option to pause rsther than exit. Drive is poor on android unless im missing a way to upload more than 1 file at a time'?
Specs: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P | AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4GHz | Sapphire RADEON HD 7850 (Latest Cats) CCC | 8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel | Hanns-G HH281 28" LCD | X-Fi Ultimate Gamer (5.1) | LiteOn DH20A4P DVD-RW | Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick | Win7 Ultimate
Thr0tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:54 AM   #54
monkeydust
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
But, I have subfolders that I want backed up but I don't see them listed.
I still can't figure out how to back up subfolders. Right now, it just wants to back up the files in the top level directory that I point to. This is of little use to me without subfolder storage capabilities.

EDIT: Well, I decided to just create a SkyDrive folder and pull everything into it. Now it is complaining that some of the things I have in my subfolders have too long a name. On the bright side, it can see my subfolders.
EVGA GTX 670 SC
Windows 8.1 64-bit

Last edited by monkeydust : Apr 28, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:40 AM   #55
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

I haven't even touched my SkyDrive since setting it up and putting some files in it
Quote:
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:08 PM   #56
RealyPssd
Rage3D Veteran

RealyPssd is still being judged by the masses

I think I'll steer clear of Hotmail/MS/Skydrive, going to migrate everything over to Gmail.

Since for some mystical reason I can't access emails in my Hotmail account using Chrome anymore.
RealyPssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:52 AM   #57
Razeus
Rage3D Spammer

Just signed up for SugarSync too. Free 5GB accounts + extra space for doing certain things + options for referals. I do like how you can just pick the folders you already have on your computer to synced.

My referral link below:
https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?r...reEvent=123198
Old May 2, 2012, 02:26 PM   #58
Razeus
Rage3D Spammer

Amazon's desktop app for Cloud Drive is now available. FYI.