Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

"

Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Default Microsoft Introducing More Ads in Xbox Live Apps

$60 a year to watch more ads?

Quote:
According to a post at CVG, Microsoft is set to add 15-30 second TV-style ads to even more of their media apps. UFC, TMZ and Crackle all currently feature ads, and those are set to be joined by even more apps, including but not limited to ESPN, Manga Entertainment, last.fm, Gamespot and MUZU.TV. This is part of an over-arching strategy to monetize as much of XBox Live as possible, a strategy first outed in a LinkedIn profile a while back.
CVG
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Canesfan2020
Rage3D Veteran

Canesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCanesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So what's your point?
Canesfan2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:01 PM   #3
zebra 204
Rage3D Manches Veteran

zebra 204 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canesfan2020 View Post
So what's your point?
If their are ads why is their even a payment option?

To Play List: Everything else
zebra 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra 204 View Post
If their are ads why is their even a payment option?
Exactly. Even the free PSN doesn't have as many ads as XBL.

But then again Canesfan2020 is that yes XBL is superior when it comes to solid servers, app services, etc..etc. But if you guys are paying $60 on top of HBO Go, Netflix, and whatever other apps your paying for do you guys agree that paying customers should have less ads?
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Canesfan2020
Rage3D Veteran

Canesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCanesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
Exactly. Even the free PSN doesn't have as many ads as XBL.

But then again Canesfan2020 is that yes XBL is superior when it comes to solid servers, app services, etc..etc. But if you guys are paying $60 on top of HBO Go, Netflix, and whatever other apps your paying for do you guys agree that paying customers should have less ads?
If you pay $60 for XBL the joke is on you.

What other services to paying customers get less ads on though? Not tv, not magazines, not hulu, etc
Canesfan2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:40 PM   #6
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

I'm all for less advertisements but as far as intrusiveness goes, Live is not bad at all. Hulu, xfinity and the other ads are not controlled by MS, neither are the other 3rd party services. Now the one area MS controls in the dashboard I see one small square with a silent ad that only does audio when I select it so it's not intrusive at all IMO. The Xfinity on demad ads are the same if I watch it thru my cable box or by the Xbox live app.

I agree we shouldn't get ads for a paying service but many around here treat it like it's a MS only thing when every service does this, Cable, Satellite TV, Satellite radio, Hulu etc.....

Now Hulu I do not mind because I can stand 5 minutes worth of commercials much better than 20 minutes for a 1 hour show and the hulu commercials tend to be of the funnier variety and push other network shows and not female products and other worthless drivel.

It will get worse before it gets better though as I just went back to Comcast TV as Dish was ripping me off which a few years ago when I had it there was no commerials with on demand where now there is. The worst part is you can't forward through them, but unlike watching it regularly scheduled, like hulu there are fewer commercials in general. I just hate not being able to FF thru them.

MS is not the only pay service to provide commercials. It is how intrusive it is that matters more and MS has it down better than most. Bottom line is the companies pay more than we do and if they want product placment they will win every time unfortunately.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:56 PM   #7
lazyx
Rage3D Veteran

lazyx is still being judged by the masses

I'm fine with it. It's allready in the crackle app, crackle offer alot of free movies. It's just a simple ad that pops up before you watch the free movie.