Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

"
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
dreamwalker
friendly?
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,868
dreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty


Default Galaxy Nexus touch feels 'slow'

I like this phone a lot, but I have an issue with the touch response.

It doesn't have the same smoothness as my iPhone or my gf's WP7 Samsung Focus.

When you navigate the menus of the iPhone or WP7, it is just fluid and crisp, almost organic. With this phone, it is slower and feels like the phone needs to time to think about where I just moved my finger.

I wouldn't notice this at all if I wasn't coming from an iPhone. I'm sure a lot of folks do not notice this because they've never tried the iPhone or a WP7 device.

In general, I've found that apps don't open as fast, Facebook app takes longer to load pictures - I mean seriously? I would expect Facebook to be blazing fast on this device.

I'm not heavily into customizing or downloading ROMs and stuff, I just want it to work faster, battery life not being an issue. I have enabled "Force 2D HW rendering" in the settings menu.

Is there anything else I can do?
dreamwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:17 PM   #2
nrs421
Rage3D Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada Toronto
Posts: 6,283
nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel


Default

nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:11 PM   #3
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: China NYC
Posts: 5,916
nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

Stock nexus isn't too bad. I would say the loading facebook thing your prolly use to your UI being fluid on ios because it stops loading everything when you touch the screen, while android still loads. So wait time is essentially just experienced differently. By default stock ICS does not have completely gpu rendered UI which is quite a drastic difference compared to completely gpu rendered as you would have with a custom rom.

I know your not really into romming and so forth. However, the ICS roms especially add so much customization and additional functionality and it's rather painless and quick to do so. Two roms stick out AOKP by roman and Codename android these 2 roms are blazing fast compare to stock and offer many features that aren't on stock. Even for a first timer shouldn't take you more than 1 hr to get it up and running. Somethings such as titanium back up once you have it you will wish why you never rooted and stuff earlier. It's rather interesting because if you customize and tweek android it runs better, battery life last longer, and gets more functionality. While the same for my 4s has bog it down a bit and made it slower. Honestly, they really should just have the ROM developers from Xda, rootzwiki develop the roms that come on androids. I think majority of complaints would go out the window.
__________________
Under construction



Last edited by nycdarkness : Mar 5, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:20 PM   #4
DaJMasta
Baffoonist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: United States Silver Spring, Maryland
Posts: 11,998
DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
I like this phone a lot, but I have an issue with the touch response.

It doesn't have the same smoothness as my iPhone or my gf's WP7 Samsung Focus.

When you navigate the menus of the iPhone or WP7, it is just fluid and crisp, almost organic. With this phone, it is slower and feels like the phone needs to time to think about where I just moved my finger.

I wouldn't notice this at all if I wasn't coming from an iPhone. I'm sure a lot of folks do not notice this because they've never tried the iPhone or a WP7 device.

In general, I've found that apps don't open as fast, Facebook app takes longer to load pictures - I mean seriously? I would expect Facebook to be blazing fast on this device.

I'm not heavily into customizing or downloading ROMs and stuff, I just want it to work faster, battery life not being an issue. I have enabled "Force 2D HW rendering" in the settings menu.

Is there anything else I can do?

I don't know what it is, but the FB app is absolute **** on my galaxy nexus. Half the time it seems like I load the program and nothing shows beyond the buttons and the white background, but if I leave, kill it in the multitasking screen thing, reopen it, and then it loads everything fairly quickly...

I don't have another machine to compare it to... but that app in particular seems just awful.
__________________
Desktop: Intel Core i7 4770K : 16GB Gskill DDR3 2133 : PNY GeForce GTX 670 : Asrock Z87E-ITX : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Crucial m4 256GB and Samsung 840 240GB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Achieva Shimian QH270 27" LED monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64
Laptop: Acer Travelmate Timeline 8172 : Intel Core i5 470UM : 4GB DDR3 1066 : Intel HD Integrated : Intel HM55 Chipset :
120GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD : 40W Power brick and 6 cell battery : Conexant HD Audio : 11.6" LCD : Windows 7 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600
: Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64


DaJMasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:22 PM   #5
dreamwalker
friendly?
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,868
dreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post

I know your not really into romming and so forth. However, the ICS roms especially add so much customization and additional functionality and it's rather painless and quick to do so. Two roms stick out AOKP by roman and Codename android these 2 roms are blazing fast compare to stock and offer many features that aren't on stock. Even for a first timer shouldn't take you more than 1 hr to get it up and running. Somethings such as titanium back up once you have it you will wish why you never rooted and stuff earlier. It's rather interesting because if you customize and tweek android it runs better, battery life last longer, and gets more functionality. While the same for my 4s has bog it down a bit and made it slower. Honestly, they really should just have the ROM developers from Xda, rootzwiki develop the roms that come on androids. I think majority of complaints would go out the window.
Is there some kind of tutorial that will show one how to apply a custom ROM? If it is a night and day difference as you say, I would like to see what is involved.
dreamwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:28 PM   #6
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: China NYC
Posts: 5,916
nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

Not sure which one u have cdma or gsm

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1336

However if you go to the development section for either you will find video tuts and guides.

Short video

on AOKP by roman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UnjK...eature=related

Battery life was very solid for me when I was running it so I dont know what was up with the guy in the video.

overview of process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poH4qaC0N00

Since I flash all the time with my phones I can flash a new rom within a few minutes and auto run restore and in about 5mins all my apps and data are back up.
__________________
Under construction



Last edited by nycdarkness : Mar 5, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Chuki
Rage3D Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United States Peanutville
Posts: 1,858
Chuki is still being judged by the masses


Default

Facebook App for android sucks. Sometimes it takes forever to load, sometimes it just doesn't respond, and the flow sucks from going events, personal profile, newfeed, etc... It just doesn't work well.

The facebook app is basically a portal to the mobile site, I can't comment on WP7 or iOS though.
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,086
Galmok is still being judged by the masses


Default

I tried the Galaxy Nexus in shops and concluded it was way too slow for my liking. The latency on actions was annoying and the browser didn't render all content all the time. Also, it was sluggish to scroll and zoom. That phone needs a screen resolution that is much lower or a cpu that is much faster. It does have everything else I wanted. I decided the Galaxy S2 was the (much) better choice for me.
Galmok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 01:12 PM   #9
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: China NYC
Posts: 5,916
nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

The s2 packs a more powerful proc. ICS on s2 is very yummy. Ofc it depends on which s2 you get. The world s2, att s2, sprint s2 have the better proc. However, I did not have the issues you stated when I had my GN.
__________________
Under construction



Last edited by nycdarkness : Mar 6, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 02:20 PM   #10
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States Boston
Posts: 4,016
kakarot is still being judged by the masses


Default

Definitely look into the custom roms, it is most worth the small hassle to flash over. All the info you need is at rootzwiki and xda. Even the dreaded recent apps menu is like butter and you will love the battery life
AOKP and Leankernel are my favorite combo and aokp just hit the rock solid milestone 4 last night which is perfect timing for you
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 06:20 PM   #11
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: China NYC
Posts: 5,916
nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

Finally decided to put an ics leak on my sg2 added by some tweaking. Jaw dropping in terms of response and performance. Comparing the GN with custom ics, skyrocket with custom ics, and the sg2. The sg2 stand out
__________________
Under construction


nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:40 AM   #12
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,869
VVanks is still being judged by the masses


Default

I brought this problem up a long long time ago and nobody listens.

Android will always have that issue with the touch response. There are some hardware based solutions (mainly on the Tegra 3) that moves touch based input onto a separate chip coming down the line in HTC's One X and other Tegra 3 devices but that remains to be seen.

The main problem is their garbage collector and the filesystem they use. It creates a certain amount of lag (garbage collection can produce 250ms to at worst case scenario 500ms, and their filesystem might hang the thread until it goes through everything, creating a stutterstep feel to the animation)

It's the reason why a dual core 1.5ghz Android phone sometimes feels slower than a single core iPhone 4 with half the resolution of a retina display. Look at the iPad 3 now, at 2560x1050 or something, it's still blazing fast and natural.

There could be solutions in the future, and from my sources, the android team "knows" about this problem.

On the other hand, BlackBerry, Windows Phone 7 and iOS does touch amazingly well. So I dunno why it's so bad on Android.y

Last edited by VVanks : Mar 17, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:38 PM   #13
dreamwalker
friendly?
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,868
dreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty


Default

I am beginning to dislike this phone.

- Stuff crashes too often, "Unfortunately, X is not responding". When I close it and re-launch the app, it does the same thing over and over, until I go into the settings and 'force stop' and clear all the data. It reminds me of the 90s when I had to go into Windows task manager all the time to free up my paltry 32MB of RAM. I don't want to have to do this in a phone.

- I put a plastic case on the phone. My bars drop down ridiculously, where I cannot even stream youtube from my bedroom. W-T-F. Wifi reception was crappy enough as it was, but it basically made it useless. I need a case for resale value. My iPad 3 gets full wifi in the same exact area - this is an iPad version where people were actually complaining about wireless coverage.

- Updates don't get pushed. I don't get why I'm still on the first 4.0.1 while everyone else is on a different version, hell, it still takes me 3 seconds to go from portrait to landscape.

- I like the game 'Glow Hockey 2'. I waste time with it on occasion while sitting listening to a conference call. This phone cannot keep track of my finger. That is sad.

I'm a fairly busy guy so I didn't have time to 'root' this thing yet, taking the time out to do this is an inconvenience. I shouldn't have to modify this thing to make it work properly.

I may sell this and go to the next generation iPhone unless I actually have time to 'root' this thing, and maybe it will be better. Who knows.

Last edited by dreamwalker : Apr 20, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
dreamwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:42 PM   #14
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: China NYC
Posts: 5,916
nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
I am beginning to dislike this phone.

- Stuff crashes too often, "Unfortunately, X is not responding". When I close it and re-launch the app, it does the same thing over and over, until I go into the settings and 'force stop' and clear all the data. It reminds me of the 90s when I had to go into Windows task manager all the time to free up my paltry 32MB of RAM. I don't want to have to do this in a phone.

- I put a plastic case on the phone. My bars drop down ridiculously, where I cannot even stream youtube from my bedroom. W-T-F. Wifi reception was crappy enough as it was, but it basically made it useless. I need a case for resale value. My iPad 3 gets full wifi in the same exact area - this is an iPad version where people were actually complaining about wireless coverage.

- Updates don't get pushed. I don't get why I'm still on the first 4.0.1 while everyone else is on a different version, hell, it still takes me 3 seconds to go from portrait to landscape.

- I like the game 'Glow Hockey 2'. I waste time with it on occasion while sitting listening to a conference call. This phone cannot keep track of my finger. That is sad.

I'm a fairly busy guy so I didn't have time to 'root' this thing yet, taking the time out to do this is an inconvenience. I shouldn't have to modify this thing to make it work properly.

I may sell this and go to the next generation iPhone unless I actually have time to 'root' this thing, and maybe it will be better. Who knows.
Never had any of these issues don't know what to tell you man.
__________________
Under construction


nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:43 PM   #15
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 37,630
Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'


Default

Friend of mine got a Galaxy Nexus and returned it the next day for crap signal quality and crap battery life. He's much happier with the RAZR Maxx, even without ICS.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
So again you show your ignorance of law and testimony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:15 PM   #16
DaJMasta
Baffoonist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: United States Silver Spring, Maryland
Posts: 11,998
DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'


Default

I like my Nexus well enough, though I am quite disappointed with their lack of OTA updates. 4.0.3 has been available unofficially for months now (and I've read about 4.0.5)... the rumors were flying in early february and I was hearing about better signal strength, quicker screen rotate, etc, etc, etc in terms of bug fixes. Even if an update doesn't fix everything, I really would have liked a patch a month or two ago to get out a few of the kinks that let you know it was the launch phone for a new OS.

I personally haven't had many reboots (maybe 3-4 since I got it) or major issues with anything... but I don't think I'm wrong in saying ICS is getting a lot of attention from developers and we've gotten so little support on our devices. Maybe they ran into a problem with a fix or feature that they considered a deal breaker or something... but I'd much rather get some improvements and bug fixes than none.


My experience has been positive, and most of the sluggishness and things that I notice seems to be limited to specific apps, but damn it's way overdue for an official update.
__________________
Desktop: Intel Core i7 4770K : 16GB Gskill DDR3 2133 : PNY GeForce GTX 670 : Asrock Z87E-ITX : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Crucial m4 256GB and Samsung 840 240GB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Achieva Shimian QH270 27" LED monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64
Laptop: Acer Travelmate Timeline 8172 : Intel Core i5 470UM : 4GB DDR3 1066 : Intel HD Integrated : Intel HM55 Chipset :
120GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD : 40W Power brick and 6 cell battery : Conexant HD Audio : 11.6" LCD : Windows 7 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600
: Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64


DaJMasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
galaxy s2 lte vs galaxy nexus Rad2owns Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing 14 Mar 5, 2012 03:14 PM
So who got their galaxy nexus? nycdarkness Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing 89 Feb 3, 2012 07:51 AM
Galaxy Andromeda reborn as Nexus TimothyB PC Gaming 3 Nov 20, 2003 10:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com
Links monetized by VigLink