Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

"

Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Iphone5
Banned

Iphone5 is still being judged by the masses

Default What a freaking Nightmare!

Sorry to start a new thread, but this deserves its own. So as I posted in the other thread I was OCing my computer. I ran prime95 stable for 1 hour so I decided to test it out in BF3. Im playing Battlefield when all of a sudden BAM! PC turns off. So I try to turn it back on and nothing.... Im thinking great, I hope the CPU didnt fry, but I know its probably the PSU. So I pull out the PSU and jumper it to see if it will power on and nothing. So I drive a hour to a CompUSA to buy a new power supply. I dont skimp and decide to get a Corsair HX850W. Whilst grabbing the psu I see a Cooler Master N520 Cooler. I say why not as I was trying to OC with the stock cooler and I knew better. So when I get home and try to remove the heatsink it doesnt want to budge... So I pull harder.... and harder.... until out comes the heatsink.... with the CPU STILL ATTACHED! So I sit there with a blow dryer for 15 min before im able to get it off and low and behold, about 50 bent pins . So I spend the next hour with tweezers and a credit card getting the pins straight and finally im able to get it back in the socket. So I got to install the heatsink and damnit!!! I put it on sideways and dont realize it till im screwing back in the motherboard . Fatigue probably had a lot to do with that. But thank God I got it all put together and its working great so far . Im doing a prime95 run as I type with the cpu @ 4.0Ghz and temps are below 60*C So far so good
Iphone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Dungeoncrawler
Rage3D Spammer

Dungeoncrawler knows why the caged bird singsDungeoncrawler knows why the caged bird singsDungeoncrawler knows why the caged bird singsDungeoncrawler knows why the caged bird singsDungeoncrawler knows why the caged bird singsDungeoncrawler knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphone5 View Post
Sorry to start a new thread,
Count yourself very lucky . Glad everything worked out and be more careful next time
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultytraitoR can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Glad it's up and running, nothing worse than ruining something thats running fine because you decided to screw around with it.

Usually i gently twist heatsinks that are stuck on real good, much safer.

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan is still being judged by the masses

This exactlyhappened to me aswell XD Bent like two rows of pins haha
Antec P180 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | Intel i5-3570K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | ASUS GTX 770 DCU-II OC | SyncMaster 2433BW 1920X1200 | Razer Lachesis | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 8.1 Professional

Google Nexus 4 | franco.Kernel
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Ninbri64
Radeon HD 6770

Ninbri64 is still being judged by the masses

Wow, it still works after all of that? thats awesome!
Ninbri64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:49 AM   #6
Iphone5
Banned

Stable intel burn test for an hour. Haven't had one crash yet, so it looks like I dodged about 50 bullets .
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:22 PM   #7
CurrentlyPissed
2.0 Litres of Fury

CurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird sings

I am extremely shocked it ever booted again. I can't remember how the PIIs are held in, but man if you pulled out an 1155 like that, you just cracked the chip in half.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Life is like an Arrow on a bow. It constantly drags you back. But you are just moments away from springing forward.
CurrentlyPissed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Iphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
I am extremely shocked it ever booted again. I can't remember how the PIIs are held in, but man if you pulled out an 1155 like that, you just cracked the chip in half.
I know, half the pins were sideways