Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

"

Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bounty_hunter
Rage3D Spammer

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

Default PC to TV No sound

Hello all you wonderful people, I have a dilly of a pickle here. Getting back into desktop gaming I decided to use my tv ( with a vizio soundbard connected to it via optical audio cable) for my monitor. Pc is up and running but no sound. Now the PC is connected to the tv via hdmi cable, my xbox is occupying the other hdmi port on my tv. Finally the last bit of information that i think would be useful is that the xbox sound is working fine, my tv audio settings are the same for both. I don't understand what could be the problem other than software? My motherboard is a KA3 mvp motherboard.

system sepcs: Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans-Athlon-64 3400+ - GigaByte K8NS nForce-3 250 Chipset- ATI Radeon X800-Pro 256MB-Western Digital 200 GB 7200 RPM-dvd 16x-sony dvd rw dw-d22a
once in the 70's i tried boy scout cookies, they tasted weird and confusing. -logen
bounty_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:23 PM   #2
lil bastard
Radeon HD 6970

lil bastard is still being judged by the masses

Is the HDMI on a video card or the motherboard?

It could be something as simple as right clicking on the volume icon on the task bar, select playback devices, and make sure the HDMI thats connected to the TV is selected as the default audio device. (windows 7)

I know when I was looking for a receiver a few years ago, not all of them accepted audio from the HDMI cable. You needed to run an optical cable along side it. Is it possible your second HDMI port on the TV is set up the same way?

Depending how old your video card or motherboard is, it might not support audio over HDMI either.

Other than that, I dont know what to tell you.

Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 | i5-2400 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | 60GB OCZ Vertex Plus SSD - SRT | WD Black 1TB | Antec Earthwatts 500w | Vizio 42" 1080P | Sapphire HD7850 OC | ATI Theater 650 Pro

Intel DH67BL | i3-2100 | 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 | 1x2TB WD EARS | 4x2TB Samsung F4EG | Antec Earthwatts 380w | Headless

Lenovo x230t Tablet PC | i5-3320M | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 256GB 830SSD |

lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Sweetz
Rage3D Veteran

Sweetz can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySweetz can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So are the system specs in your sig accurate, or some kind of parody?

If they're accurate: You can't get sound over HDMI with an X800.

Some TVs have an HDMI port specifically meant for PC and will support sound for that input via separate minijack in (which you'd then connect to your sound card) - you'll only be able to get stereo with that though.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

If the vid card has a HDMI port than it can do audio- but you need a special connector to go from your mobo's audio jumper to the vid card. My old 8800 worked this way.
Guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Sweetz
Rage3D Veteran

Sweetz can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySweetz can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybo View Post
If the vid card has a HDMI port than it can do audio- but you need a special connector to go from your mobo's audio jumper to the vid card. My old 8800 worked this way.
That only applies to nVidia cards of older generations.

To my knowledge ATI has never made a card with an SPDIF passthrough for HDMI audio. They all have their own basic integrated sound chips. So if you had a dedicated sound card you couldn't actually use that for audio over HDMI.

Also nVidia went this route with the 400+ series, their new cards have their own sound chip and function as the sound card themselves.

If you want to use a good dedicated sound card in conjunction with a TV these days you'll typically need to hook that up separately via optical (TOSLINK). Though for that to be worthwhile you'd want a receiver and surround system. Might was well just use the video cards' sound processor if you're only outputting to crappy TV speakers.

In any case, an X800, if that is what bounty_hunter has (but methinks he's just trolling) predates all that. He'd have to be using a DVI->HDMI cable if that's actually the video card he's using.

Last edited by Sweetz : Apr 19, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote