Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

"

Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Gone

xCLAVEx is still being judged by the masses

Default I can has job? May have FINALLY found long term employment.

I've been doing mostly contract work with an acting job (complete with script and everything) for the past couple years. It pays very well, but is too far and between and offers no benefits (considering each case is a contract job).

Recently, I did some work for UPS over the holidays and over the past couple of months they have called me in for a tour (invitation only), then a preliminary interview, and as of last Friday, a secondary interview. Though it's not official, I am 90% sure I got the job and will be loading those 18 wheeler trucks (they said about 1000 packages a night and 200 of them are estimated to be 75lbs+). At least I won't have to deal with obnoxious customers and will have a full days workout by the time I'm done with my shift. I'm going to be sore, but going to be pumping up teh sh0rTs! Better yet, after working for them for a year they offer a very strong benefits package, and they are a VERY rare Monday - Friday job (though my hours are in the evening) with Saturday/Sunday off and holidays off. After 90 days, I get a $1.00 raise and am then available for promotions.

It's a good start.
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:42 AM   #2
DorXtar
they're real

DorXtar is still being judged by the masses

UPS pays good. Mainly because it's union.

I hear drivers make 70k. Nice.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance... it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:43 AM   #3
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

My package is pretty hefty.
Fuku2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Fuku2 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar View Post

Not that hefty.
Fuku2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:47 AM   #5
xCLAVEx
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar View Post

That is my main goal, not to become management, but to be a cargo driver. That is what I did during the seasonal help, and while it is HARD work, it is satisfying. The pay isn't that good to start off actually, but it gets more rewarding the longer you stay with them. It's not a dead end job (so I hear anyway).

Last edited by xCLAVEx : Apr 15, 2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:48 AM   #6
JonZ
ka-shing

JonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Acting + UPS = Ace Ventura

2x GTX680 SLI
Core i7 4770k 3.50ghz Haswell @ not OCed yet
Corsair TX850M PSU

G.Skills 4x2gb ddr3 1600mhz

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H mobo
Corsair H100i cooler
OCZ 120 SSD Vertex 3 SATA3 (OS).
Samsng 480 Pro 256gb (capture/swap)
4xWestern Digital 2gb HDD
some other old WD HDDs
Asus Xonar DX PCIE soundcard

Triple Dell 2713HM Monitors 2560x1440
Logitech G700 mouse and G19 keyboard

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Intel Quad Core Q9650 @ 400FSBx9 3600ghz
Asus P5Q-EM

4x 2gb DDR2 800mhz CORSAIR RAM (5-5-5-18)
Corsair 550w PSU
Hauppauge 1850 PCIE capture card
2x2tb HDD Western Digital RAID mirrored
Toshiba 40" LCD tv screen
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:51 AM   #8
xCLAVEx
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case_Sensitive View Post
Good Luck. I did the same job for one summer during my 1st year of university. The union guys are some of the most laziest, overpaid pieces of sh!t you will ever see in your lifetime. Really made me hate unions.

Good luck dude, i hope you are in shape if not you will be in 6 weeks.
I worked as a driver helper for a month. The cargo drivers I was with were very hard workers, and the job is constantly "GO GO GO GO GO GO". While I was working, I was going through a bad bout of Bronchitis and an ear infection (I didn't know it at the time). I kept thinking I must have really been in bad shape if after the second week of working I wasn't able to catch my breath, but being sick (thought it was just a stubborn cold) will kick your ass any time. They claim being a cargo driver/driver helper is among the hardest of the jobs there (especially when delivering to apartments OMFG those suck ass). I worked my ass off and the drivers said they put in a good word for me at the yard. I even had a problem with one of my paychecks, and one of the drivers I worked with offered to help me sort it, and he did! Really nice guy.

And yes, they said "If you have a gym membership, cancel it...you're not going to need it after you start working here".

Last edited by xCLAVEx : Apr 15, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:01 AM   #9
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

have
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:26 AM   #10
xCLAVEx
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
Acting + UPS = Ace Ventura
lol
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:13 AM   #11
lumpyhed
nyannyannyannyan

lumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

What is your current role?
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

swaeet dude! good to get stable job!!
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:19 AM   #13
Pr3tty F1y
Rage3D Veteran

Pr3tty F1y is still being judged by the masses

Hope you get it, man.

PS. If you see any suspect activity from your co-workers (i.e., shaking boxes to check the "contents"), please notify your supervisors immediately. I've lost way too many packages due to unscrupulous UPS employees as of late and it's always the warehouse guys.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Whiny Mooch

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Good Luck. I did the same job for one summer during my 1st year of university. The union guys are some of the most laziest, overpaid pieces of sh!t you will ever see in your lifetime. Really made me hate unions.

Good luck dude, i hope you are in shape if not you will be in 6 weeks.
What jobs were the lazy people in? I have never had a late package from UPS so I'm curious.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:31 PM   #15
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultytraitoR can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
What jobs were the lazy people in? I have never had a late package from UPS so I'm curious.
His post contradicts itself, first he says they are the laziest POS's ever then he says, you will be in shape in 6 weeks, LOL, lazy POS's don't usually get workouts from being lazy, no ?

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:03 PM   #16
Whiny Mooch

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post
His post contradicts itself, first he says they are the laziest POS's ever then he says, you will be in shape in 6 weeks, LOL, lazy POS's don't usually get workouts from being lazy, no ?
I know. From a service standpoint I normally receive my 3 day packages in 2 days and often receive 2 day deliveries in 1 day. That is not indicative of lazy workers.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:05 PM   #17
Fat_Daddy_Cool
Poundmaker's Descent

Fat_Daddy_Cool can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFat_Daddy_Cool can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
I've been doing mostly contract work with an acting job (complete with script and everything) for the past couple years. It pays very well, but is too far and between and offers no benefits (considering each case is a contract job).

Recently, I did some work for UPS over the holidays and over the past couple of months they have called me in for a tour (invitation only), then a preliminary interview, and as of last Friday, a secondary interview. Though it's not official, I am 90% sure I got the job and will be loading those 18 wheeler trucks (they said about 1000 packages a night and 200 of them are estimated to be 75lbs+). At least I won't have to deal with obnoxious customers and will have a full days workout by the time I'm done with my shift. I'm going to be sore, but going to be pumping up teh sh0rTs! Better yet, after working for them for a year they offer a very strong benefits package, and they are a VERY rare Monday - Friday job (though my hours are in the evening) with Saturday/Sunday off and holidays off. After 90 days, I get a $1.00 raise and am then available for promotions.

It's a good start.
Good to hear.
Fat_Daddy_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:13 PM   #18
Alientank
Mr. Pinch point

Alientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
The union guys are some of the most laziest, overpaid pieces of sh!t you will ever see in your lifetime. Really made me hate unions.
Painting everyone with the same brush. You must go nuts when you see a black person eat watermelon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.
Alientank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:50 PM   #19
Whiny Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
That is my main goal, not to become management, but to be a cargo driver. That is what I did during the seasonal help, and while it is HARD work, it is satisfying. The pay isn't that good to start off actually, but it gets more rewarding the longer you stay with them. It's not a dead end job (so I hear anyway).
I don't think it's a dead end job either. Hope you get it and good luck.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:53 PM   #20
Stingray
Banned

Stingray is still being judged by the masses

Looks good. Good luck!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:20 AM   #22
Whiny Mooch

Quote:
drivers will never help you lift a box, hated them so much.
Oh, so you were the lazy ass union worker! That explains it. I bet you never helped them deliver packages either.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:01 AM   #23
Stingray
Banned

Stingray is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Oh, so you were the lazy ass union worker! That explains it. I bet you never helped them deliver packages either.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:51 AM   #24
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird sings

Good luck. Hope you get it.

Bedroom PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - AMD 1100T @3.7/4GHz - H50 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7870 OC - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 640GB Blue - Xonar DX - LG BDROM - Logitech 6110 - TT Volos - Antec 900 - CM 500W PSU - Samsung 32" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - BIC L/R & MTX Surround Speakers - Mission C70 Center - Sony 10" Sub - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

HTPC - Gigabyte GA-890GPA~UD3H - AthlonII X4 630 - HD6450 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - WD 500GB Black - WD 640GB Green - WD 2TB Green - LG BDROM - Ceton InfiniTV 4 w/ MCE Remote - Logitech MX5000 Laser Desktop - Corsair 450W - Silverstone LC10B-E - Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - PE 15" Sub - Classic Mission Speakers - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Office PC - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Intel 3570K - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7950 FLEX - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - Xonar DX - CM 500W PSU - Antec ON1E - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD - Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

4x Presentation Machines - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - FX-8350 w/ FX WC - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 5870 or 7870 Eyefinity 6 - 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - WD 500GB Black - DVDRW - Cooler Master Sileo 500 - 600W PSU - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - Office 2010 Pro
Dr. Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote