Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

"

Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:34 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryjs View Post
There is something wrong in that picture. If you look towards the bottom right of the pentile icon, it gets closer to what it actually should be. A resized image:
If you look at the bottom of the right image you see text that says "THE VERGE" superimposed on the image. You shink the image down then comment on it?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:20 PM   #32
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

fryjs is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
If you look at the bottom of the right image you see text that says "THE VERGE" superimposed on the image. You shink the image down then comment on it?
Uh... yes? Can you not see that the top of the icon is cyan, whilst the bottom right (above the verge text) is closer to white/grey? It doesn't actually look like that on the phone... it's all the one color:white/grey. If the zoomed image was accurate, it wouldn't be cyan at the top when the same image was resized back to non-zoomed....

Last edited by fryjs : Apr 11, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
fryjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:48 PM   #33
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Oh OK, yes I see what you are saying now.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:28 AM   #34
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

Try THIS article, and be sure to check the images further down.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:31 AM   #35
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

That seems like a reasonable article.

Reading a little more about rod and cone distribution it seems like a non striped configuration could really makes a lot of sense. From hyperphysics I found the distribution of cones by color is "red" cones (64%), "green" cones (32%), and "blue" cones (2%) . Additionally, chromatic aberration causes the blue to be slightly out of focus. However, your brain is more sensitive to the signals from blue cones to compensate but this still doesn't overcome. Additionally, many of these blue cones are outside the forvea which is sort of the high resolution part of your eye. It would therefore seem to make sense to cut the number of blue pixels in favor of more green and red pixels. Not sure what the arrangement would be and you would still want to be able to make pure white. Maybe just replacing half the blue pixels in an RG BG arrangement with white pixels.

Another idea...
I wonder what it would be like if instead of using RG and BG pixels one used three sub pixel types. Something like RedCyan, MagentaGreen, YellowBlue. In this design all pixels would be able to render a perfect greys and 1/3rd the color information. In rg bg neither pixel can render gray but instead render 1/2 the color information. Your eyes have way higher resolution for black and white than color so maybe this would produce a better looking display with fewer sub-pixels.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:51 AM   #36
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PyroPath View Post
Try THIS article, and be sure to check the images further down.
I would pick a RGBW pentile screen over RGB stripe if it were twice the resolution. The energy savings of RGBW would be worth it.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:23 AM   #37
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
That seems like a reasonable article.

Reading a little more about rod and cone distribution it seems like a non striped configuration could really makes a lot of sense. From hyperphysics I found the distribution of cones by color is "red" cones (64%), "green" cones (32%), and "blue" cones (2%) . Additionally, chromatic aberration causes the blue to be slightly out of focus. However, your brain is more sensitive to the signals from blue cones to compensate but this still doesn't overcome. Additionally, many of these blue cones are outside the forvea which is sort of the high resolution part of your eye. It would therefore seem to make sense to cut the number of blue pixels in favor of more green and red pixels. Not sure what the arrangement would be and you would still want to be able to make pure white. Maybe just replacing half the blue pixels in an RG BG arrangement with white pixels.

Another idea...
I wonder what it would be like if instead of using RG and BG pixels one used three sub pixel types. Something like RedCyan, MagentaGreen, YellowBlue. In this design all pixels would be able to render a perfect greys and 1/3rd the color information. In rg bg neither pixel can render gray but instead render 1/2 the color information. Your eyes have way higher resolution for black and white than color so maybe this would produce a better looking display with fewer sub-pixels.
[never mind, you don't talk about the stereotyped misconception about rods and cones, misread it. I'll just leave it here to lift us up from general ignorance]

Don't be fooled by the rod & cone stuff they teach you in most schools. The general perception that you see colors with cones and black and white with the rods is wrong, period. Allthough the rods have no color sensitivity they are mostly used to see contrast in extremely dark sistuations. The funky thing is, you don't use them above more then minimal light intensities. They are used in situations where color information is almost absend and light conditions are extremely low. They use an amplification system that responds to even 1 single photon. Because of this, even at moonlight situation the rods are way too sensitive. Have a look at some "real" textbooks about the inner workings of the eyes and eyenerves and you'll be amazed about the ingenuity of the organ and the processes that take place inside it.

Last edited by The PyroPath : Apr 13, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
The PyroPath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:12 AM   #38
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PyroPath View Post
[never mind, you don't talk about the stereotyped misconception about rods and cones, misread it. I'll just leave it here to lift us up from general ignorance]

Don't be fooled by the rod & cone stuff they teach you in most schools. The general perception that you see colors with cones and black and white with the rods is wrong, period. Allthough the rods have no color sensitivity they are mostly used to see contrast in extremely dark sistuations. The funky thing is, you don't use them above more then minimal light intensities. They are used in situations where color information is almost absend and light conditions are extremely low. They use an amplification system that responds to even 1 single photon. Because of this, even at moonlight situation the rods are way too sensitive. Have a look at some "real" textbooks about the inner workings of the eyes and eyenerves and you'll be amazed about the ingenuity of the organ and the processes that take place inside it.
After doing a little more reading it does appear from a couple studies that visual acuity (sort of like eye resolution) is not very color dependent. It seems like it really has more to do with the ability of one's eyes to properly focus the light. My assumption that an eye would have greater visual acuity with white lite was based on the idea that white light is seen with all the cones while a pure red, green or blue light has to rely on a single set of cones. In practice this doesn't really seem to be the limiting factor.

BTW, apparently the theoretical limit of acuity is 20/8 vision (the ability to distinguish lines separated by 8 mm 0.08 in at 20 ft) . This is based on diffraction of light as it passes through the pupil. For comparison, normal vision is 20/20.

edit: wikipedia says that the denominator is in mm but I don't think that can be right. I know I can distinguish 0.01" at around 1 foot. 20 mm would be almost 1" which is certainly wrong. mm are also metric and mixing metric and English doesn't seem right either. I am guessing they meant 0.02" (centiinch?)

Last edited by aviphysics : Apr 15, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:55 AM   #39
Apocalypsee
Rage3D Veteran

Apocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

My Razr using pentile display, I could definitely sees it if I really, REALLY look close to the display but for everyday use from comfortable distance such as browsing, playing games and watching videos and such its fine. Coupled with reasonable qHD resolution it reduces the pentile disadvantages slightly and SuperAMOLED deep blacks just really nice, but the colors are too much sometimes. I would prefer to have IPS display, color accuracy instead of boosted colors
Apocalypsee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:54 AM   #40
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
I would prefer to have IPS display, color accuracy instead of boosted colors
So you would like an RGB stripe Super AMOLED display then.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:45 AM   #41
wc326
Rage3D Veteran

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
So you would like an RGB stripe Super AMOLED display then.
super amoled is nice. but it also burn your screen that is not avoidable. this is the most weak aspect of super amoled panel.

altho i just got my tab 7.7 which uses super amoled as well, i am so worrying about the burn in issues. However, the screen panel is really one of the best which i odn't thik many will dislike
some user has even reported to have their screen burn-in just after 2 weeks.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Last edited by wc326 : Apr 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:06 PM   #42
ATi VGA Wonder

I use auto brightness and don't turn it up manually unless I'm watching Netflix on my phone. The Charge has an additional power savings option for the screen but I am unsure what exactly it does. Also have the screen turn off after a minute of no use.

As the AMOLED screen ages the burn in should even out.

But that's my phone... of course my tablet is an IPS TF101 so I don't worry there.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:24 PM   #43
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

It looks like they were leaving it on the home screen a lot. Maybe using it as a clock. Personally, I have my phone and tablet set to turn of automatically after a couple minutes. Of course, I don't have any Super AMOLED devices.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:36 PM   #44
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Also amoled needs some time to "burnout" to its proper colors. What you see in that picture is that some pixels are still factory fresh from the use of dark colors.

Over time the image quality stabilizes

Edit:

That also looks like a long exposure shot. The actual burn-in probably isn't that bad, but still it's not nice to see it :\
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:59 PM   #45
Apocalypsee
Rage3D Veteran

Apocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I don't know the burn-in issue with SuperAMOLED screens. And I don't notice any color differences after use it for quite some time now, or maybe I just get used to its color.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:24 PM   #46
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Oh, the burn in is definitely there. Go into landscape mode and watch where the statusbar is in portrait mode. There should be a slight difference in color intensity.

But I never noticed it before, until someone told me to look for it
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:43 PM   #47
wc326
Rage3D Veteran

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisti View Post
Oh, the burn in is definitely there. Go into landscape mode and watch where the statusbar is in portrait mode. There should be a slight difference in color intensity.

not a myth at all. so many user in XDA forum reporting this same issues.
some even have burnin after 2 weeks to 1month short period of time.

My brother's nexus prime is also burnt. as well as his sgs2.

so pretty much this issues is not avoidable with the way icon works. and status bar works

Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:17 PM   #48
shoman24v
Rage3D Veteran

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Go look at the Bionic screen. ****, that is BAD. I'm happy with my Nexus screen.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:29 PM   #49
Apocalypsee
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisti View Post

Nope there isn't any burn in on my screen by the look of it. I usually play fullscreen games and videos so its a non issue as long as it keeps changing
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:42 PM   #50
wc326
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
Nope there isn't any burn in on my screen by the look of it. I usually play fullscreen games and videos so its a non issue as long as it keeps changing
you can notice it easier with full blue or grey screen.

because those 2 color are fastest to burn out