Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » CATALYST Drivers
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CATALYST Drivers Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Catalyst Drivers. Please put Linux-specific driver posts and Remote Wonder discussion in their respective forums.

"

Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:34 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
He said that nvidia lacks the 2x+csaa option, not that amd lacks a 2x+eqaa option
my bad if that's the case. Sounded like he was saying CSAA isn't like EQ AA.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:44 PM   #62
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Sounded like what now? I said I like AMD's 2x + eqaa option, and that there is no equivalent 2x + csaa setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
The same reply can be said to anything, basically its swings and roundabouts and its all about personal preference to which options gives better quality and matters do the individual.
Not really. The debate started when a poster said he likes AMD due to better IQ, when infact you can achieve better IQ with Nvidia in a number of ways. But thats not to say AMD doesnt have great things like edge detect and auto lod correction for SGSSAA in DX10+.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:03 PM   #63
Final8ty
Radeon HD 6970

Final8ty is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Sounded like what now? I said I like AMD's 2x + eqaa option, and that there is no equivalent 2x + csaa setting.

Not really. The debate started when a poster said he likes AMD due to better IQ, when infact you can achieve better IQ with Nvidia in a number of ways. But thats not to say AMD doesnt have great things like edge detect and auto lod correction for SGSSAA in DX10+.
Personally i don't use any 3rd party enhancement programs and what is better IQ is a matter of opinion like i have said before when it comes to these extra modes.
Final8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:13 PM   #64
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So.. you feel like correcting me, and not the post about AMD superior IQ, for pointing out there are more features and IQ enhancements with Nv, and think its just my opinion that these extra features and settings actually improve IQ, ok.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:32 PM   #65
Dyre Straits
Rage3D Veteran

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
-100%

Because of this thread, I decided to see if I could run Skyrim. Sure enough, I get the same "Skyrim has stopped working" dialog that others have talked about, after clicking "Play".

I am using a single card, and have no mods installed.
If you have the latest CAPs installed, uninstall and try Skyrim again. That's what worked for me...and others who complained.
~Windows 7 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 7970 3 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Windows 7 Pro x64~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:43 PM   #66
Final8ty
Radeon HD 6970

Final8ty is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
So.. you feel like correcting me, and not the post about AMD superior IQ, for pointing out there are more features and IQ enhancements with Nv, and think its just my opinion that these extra features and settings actually improve IQ, ok.
I said nothing about its just yours.
The fact its still a matter of personal taste even if others share it.

I think No Vsync, MLAA, FXAA, bloom, DOF, motionblurr, ambient occlusion, ect, modes look terrible to me most of the time and some of these SSAA modes depending on the game, MSAA+adaptive is nearly always my preference.
Final8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:52 PM   #67
demo
space cadet

Ok then
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:00 PM   #68
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

Can people learn it's not ect but ETC (of "etcetera") please? Thank you all in this and many other threads. /offtopic]
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:51 PM   #69
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrawdaddy79 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrawdaddy79 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blín D'ñero View Post
Can people learn it's not ect but ETC (of "etcetera") please? Thank you all in this and many other threads. /offtopic]

Et cetera is two words.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:54 PM   #70
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Holy ****....I actually managed to remove the 12.4 betas without causing a blue screen AND managed to install the official 12.3 driver set and the cap profile without having a blue screen.

Then again there were 6 updates from microsoft 2 days ago so maybe that's the difference as i tried it over 10 times a little over a week ago and it was blue screen after blue screen.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:44 PM   #71
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
Et cetera is two words.
Well done!
And etcetera is the one-word spelling and commonly used. /discussion about it in this thread]
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:51 PM   #72
noko
Rage3D Veteran

noko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynoko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Win 8 driver when playing videos full screen will corrupt, works fine in a window. Had issue with Skyrim, beta 12.4, removed Cap 1 and it works fine. No other issues of note on three machines. Once again it makes me want to hold out getting a second card for CFX hearing some of these issues. I maybe going dual graphics mode in the near future which will probably give me a taste of CFX.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:58 AM   #73
badboy
RIP Paul Gray

badboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete stranger

new big games released

nvidia = has ready drivers weeks before release
amd = 2 months after release

thats the biggest problem for me

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:16 AM   #74
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

muzz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
new big games released

nvidia = has ready drivers weeks before release
amd = 2 months after release

thats the biggest problem for me
That's a BIG problem too, I don't care what apologists say about nV dev relations, Ati, and now AMD have talked about spending the $ and getting this corrected, yet time after time after time they are WAY behind in getting "New" and 5 Star EAGERLY awaited games to run properly/comparably on their hardware....some games go longer than 2 months as well.

Extremely frustrating, especially to the guys that spend a boatload of $ on top of the line stuff.

This is an ages old complaint that hasn't been taken care of adequately yet IMO, and I'm certain that we are not the only people that feel this way..
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:18 AM   #75
CurrentlyPissed
1.6 Litres of Fury

CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

My gripes are OC issues, not sticking. Poor game development. Seems like everything I play has issues (Dungeon Defenders, League of Legends, and Tera). Just doesn't perform well at all for what it should. The issues with Afterburner unofficial mode are no longer being supported.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Life is like an Arrow on a bow. It constantly drags you back. But you are just moments away from springing forward.
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:49 PM   #76
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
My gripes are OC issues, not sticking. Poor game development. Seems like everything I play has issues (Dungeon Defenders, League of Legends, and Tera). Just doesn't perform well at all for what it should. The issues with Afterburner unofficial mode are no longer being supported.
Is it only 12.4 Beta that has broken this functionality, or are there others?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:38 PM   #77
CurrentlyPissed
1.6 Litres of Fury

CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
Is it only 12.4 Beta that has broken this functionality, or are there others?
12.3, and 12.4 that I am aware of. I use 12.3.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Life is like an Arrow on a bow. It constantly drags you back. But you are just moments away from springing forward.
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:40 PM   #78
shadow001

shadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So when is the official 12.4 driver set coming out anyhow?.....Hopefully it'll have fixed a lot of issues with the beta 12.4's..
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:45 PM   #79
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
So when is the official 12.4 driver set coming out anyhow?.....Hopefully it'll have fixed a lot of issues with the beta 12.4's..

It better have, or alot of folks will be flooding the bored with complaints!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:49 PM   #80
shadow001

Quote:
It better have, or alot of folks will be flooding the bored with complaints!

I'm mainly asking because in my neck of the woods it's already the 19th of april so there's only 11 days left to the month, and it usually takes 1 to 2 weeks for microsoft certification, so we could already be in may, before we'll get the official drivers that are supposed to be released in april...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:00 PM   #81
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
I'm mainly asking because in my neck of the woods it's already the 19th of april so there's only 11 days left to the month, and it usually takes 1 to 2 weeks for microsoft certification, so we could already be in may, before we'll get the official drivers that are supposed to be released in april...
I'm still waiting to see driver performance gains out of the 7XXX series...nevermind the OC not sticking anymore, or the ridiculous screen tearing and flickering problems some folks are having.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:40 AM   #82
badboy
RIP Paul Gray

badboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
That's a BIG problem too, I don't care what apologists say about nV dev relations, Ati, and now AMD have talked about spending the $ and getting this corrected, yet time after time after time they are WAY behind in getting "New" and 5 Star EAGERLY awaited games to run properly/comparably on their hardware....some games go longer than 2 months as well.

Extremely frustrating, especially to the guys that spend a boatload of $ on top of the line stuff.

This is an ages old complaint that hasn't been taken care of adequately yet IMO, and I'm certain that we are not the only people that feel this way..
yeap.. if I have any problem with diablo 3 then I am going to flip and break my card

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:12 AM   #83
void4ever
Radeon HD 7970

void4ever is still being judged by the masses

It's been stated many times AMD promised 12 driver releases a year, they didn't promise 1 every month.

Void4ever

Quote:

Secondary Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Core i7-920 @ 2.8ghz | 12 gig Triple Channel Gskill 1333mhz 7-7-7-18 | MSI 6970 | X-plosion 7.1 | Westinghouse LCM22w3+Westinghouse VM-42F140S | Corsair CMPSU-850TX | Win7 SP1 x64

HTPC Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 | Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.4ghz | 8 gig Dual Channel Gskill 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 | Sapphire 5770 | X-Mystique 7.1 Gold | Westinghouse VM-42F140S | CoolergiantVHB 480W | Win7 SP1 x64
void4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:48 PM   #84
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by void4ever View Post
It's been stated many times AMD promised 12 driver releases a year, they didn't promise 1 every month.

Void4ever

If they miss a month, doesn't that put even more pressure on the driver team to deliver 12 WHQL drivers in 11 months then?....
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:28 PM   #85
void4ever
Radeon HD 7970

Perhaps but I've seen them release 2 sets in a month before.

Nothing says they can't release 2 drivers per month and finish out the 12 driver cycle in half a year if the wanted. If you think about it all AMD has to do is fix 1 single bug and nothing else and there you have a driver release. Not saying they'd do that but it's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

We'll get our 12 drivers a year. Ever since that commitment they haven't skipped a beat.

Void4ever

Secondary Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Core i7-920 @ 2.8ghz | 12 gig Triple Channel Gskill 1333mhz 7-7-7-18 | MSI 6970 | X-plosion 7.1 | Westinghouse LCM22w3+Westinghouse VM-42F140S | Corsair CMPSU-850TX | Win7 SP1 x64

HTPC Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 | Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.4ghz | 8 gig Dual Channel Gskill 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 | Sapphire 5770 | X-Mystique 7.1 Gold | Westinghouse VM-42F140S | CoolergiantVHB 480W | Win7 SP1 x64
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:07 PM   #86
Athlon-pv
Radeon HD 6870

Athlon-pv is still being judged by the masses

I have had no problems with drivers for a good while now.
Athlon-pv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:08 PM   #87
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by void4ever View Post
Perhaps but I've seen them release 2 sets in a month before.

Nothing says they can't release 2 drivers per month and finish out the 12 driver cycle in half a year if the wanted. If you think about it all AMD has to do is fix 1 single bug and nothing else and there you have a driver release. Not saying they'd do that but it's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

We'll get our 12 drivers a year. Ever since that commitment they haven't skipped a beat.

Void4ever

And then people say we waited all this time and you only got 1 driver fix done?....
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:14 PM   #88
xXH3llRaiserXx

xXH3llRaiserXx is still being judged by the masses

I'm a owner of 5770 CFX and a very frustated owner. I can enumerate lots of games which I have (had) since I've bought the second card. But I'll enumerate only the most annoying.

1- Brink = this game is the most retarded and unoptimized game I ever seen. If any of you played this game you know what I'm talking about LACK OF OPENGL optimization and the CFX...ohh the CFX scales like a grandma.

2- Test Drive Unlimited 2 = this one is not only the AMD fault , but after one year after the release of the game they "improve" the crossfire (btw CFX still dont work) performance of the game ?? Are you serious AMD ??

3- Bioshock 2 = WTH is wrong with the CFX in this game ?? Bioshock 1 works good with CFX and WHY BIOSHOCK 2 DOES NOT HAVE CFX SUPPORT if the engine is the same of the first game?

4- Borderlands = some time ago the performance of this game in my system (with CFX) was so bad which makes you wonder... why god , why ?? I had to use RadeonPro with the Bioshock profile to makes the game playable.

I need to mention also : Batman Arkhan City (DX11), Saints Row The Third (DX11) , Ridge Racer Unbounded (lack of proper eyefinity and CFX scales very bad), DiRT 3 (CFX bug on the cockpit view and on raining races), Alan Wake (CFX scales very bad , atleast here), Warhammer Space Marine (CFX scales very bad), GTA 4 (was better to disable CFX since the performance was almost the same with/without CFX).

I'm also having the idle clocks issue since the CCC 12.2 and this issue gives me screen corruption if I start windows with overclock enabled through Sapphire Trixx... and btw WHY AMD HAS REMOVED THE ATIPDLXX.DLL of the CCC ?? Now everytime I install a new driver I need to put this dll on the system32/syswow64 folders to stop Sapphire Trixx saying "the ULPS is enabled , you cannot overclock with ULPS enabled". With 101% , my next card will be an Nvidia and just one card... no SLI , I'm tired of the lack of optimization with this multi gpus systems and the need to fight with my system to make an game playable.

Last edited by xXH3llRaiserXx : Apr 22, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
xXH3llRaiserXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:09 PM   #89
Sobek
Radeon HD 7970

Sobek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXH3llRaiserXx View Post
I'm a owner of 5770 CFX and a very frustated owner. I can enumerate lots of games which I have (had) since I've bought the second card. But I'll enumerate only the most annoying.

*snip*

With 101% , my next card will be an Nvidia and just one card... no SLI , I'm tired of the lack of optimization with this multi gpus systems and the need to fight with my system to make an game playable.
Hate to say it, but I'm starting to feel the same way. I'm seriously considering buying one of Nvidia's cards at the moment just to enjoy Skyrim properly, let along a bunch of other newer titles. Skyrim's just packed full with lots of CFX-related glitchiness and you can't use ENBseries properly without disabling CFX... Tried a GTX 570 and it was heaven. No problems whatsoever in anything. I can't even launch Left 4 Dead 2 with Crossfire enabled but on that 570 it worked like a charm (and that's one I've been troubleshooting since the dawn of time).

I'm not really upset with AMD, nor angry, but just a bit disappointed. I've been using AMD cards pretty much exclusively since the old Rage days, but they're nothing like what they used to be. I'm spending just as much time troubleshooting driver problems as I am actually trying to enjoy the game I'm playing... And of the few Nvidia-based systems I've built recently, they've all worked flawlessly in the same situations.

I'm a bit torn really - brand loyalty is a bloody tough thing to break.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:12 PM   #90
void4ever
Radeon HD 7970

Quote:
And then people say we waited all this time and you only got 1 driver fix done?....
True, but looking at your join date you've been around almost as long as i have, so you should know around here no matter what ATI/AMD does no one will be happy

Void4ever

Secondary Machine:

HTPC Machine: