Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

"

Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Chuki
Rage3D Veteran

Chuki is still being judged by the masses

Default A Bluray player that does it all?

Looking for a bluray player that will allow me to play divx/xvid from usb storage, also has wifi builtin.

All the models I'm seeing from Sony, Panasonic, etc... support most of what I need except divx/xvid, or avi in general.

Unless anyone knows of some software where I can transcode from avi to mp4 quickly. Majority of my video library is in xvid.
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

See if PS3 Media Server fits the bill. I use it to stream to my Seagate something-or-other media box (ever since a Win7 update somehow blocked remote login from that box ) and our 360.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Sazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Subscriber

PS3.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Chuki
Rage3D Veteran

I knew that was what was gonna come up lol. I've got 1 ps3 already, reason I don't want a 2nd is I'm wanting something a lil smaller, use less power, less heat for the bedroom.

Anyone know if any bluray players will play avi over dlna? Thats something I haven't considered or researched yet, but would accept that alternative.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Sazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki View Post
I knew that was what was gonna come up lol. I've got 1 ps3 already, reason I don't want a 2nd is I'm wanting something a lil smaller, use less power, less heat for the bedroom.

Anyone know if any bluray players will play avi over dlna? Thats something I haven't considered or researched yet, but would accept that alternative.
Do you have the regular PS3 or the PS3 slim?

The new one is a lot smaller. Given what you are trying to do, either an HTPC or a PS3 would be the only options to give you the flexibility you are looking for. Obviously an HTPC will probably be a bit more expensive.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Chuki
Rage3D Veteran

I have a slim, it's what I use an HTPC, since it does everything I need to except mkv, which I just transcode anyway.

I want something that has almost identical compatibility, minus the added premium for a gaming console, plus I wanted to double up and get one for my folks, and still be able to bring my portable hdd with me and allow them to watch the videos too.

Looks like thats not going to happen, sony and panasonic have excellent players minus the avi playback. Not sure why, it seems international versions of some of these players have support just fine. Perhaps firmware hacks are avail, I dunno.

I didn't think it would be much of an issue, did some small searching but with so many options thought I'd ask the rage3d gods which one is the best.

So with that aside, any recommendations as to which bluray player would offer the widest compatibility? I guess if I have to I can run my avis through handbrake or something similar to deal with that.

So far Sony seems to have be the most flexible in that regards, but I'm open to cheaper brands since it's just gonna be in the bedroom, hooked up to an old tv.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

If you go Sony, check to see if the player has "cinavia" protection built in. Can be rather annoying little quirk with some Sony hardware.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 8Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - 120GiB HD Samsung 840 -
3TiB Seagate Expansion (USB 3.0 external) - PowerColor Radeon R7 260x TurboDuo - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 8.1 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:28 AM   #8
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynecropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynecropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I know the sony s580 plays xvid... I'm sure the new models do too

But I also know the new players (as well as last year's models with latest firmware) use cinavia
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:25 PM   #9
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
If you go Sony, check to see if the player has "cinavia" protection built in. Can be rather annoying little quirk with some Sony hardware.
Don't you mean if you purchase any blu-ray player period? Every Blu-ray player made in 2012 on should have it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia

Quote:
Cinavia is a digital watermarking and steganography system under development by Verance since 1999, and released in 2010. In conjunction with the existing Advanced Access Content System (AACS) digital rights management (DRM) inclusion of Cinavia watermarking detection support became mandatory for all consumer Blu-ray players from 2012.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:34 AM   #10
Tork64
Rage3D Veteran

Tork64 is still being judged by the masses

Tork64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:48 PM   #11
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork64 View Post
Been keeping my eye on the Dune-series players. Might be my next player.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:37 PM   #12
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
Been keeping my eye on the Dune-series players. Might be my next player.
What are the expansion slots for?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:40 PM   #13
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
What are the expansion slots for?
The Smart series is a completely new take on the Media Streamer segment with its modular component nature. The series is made up of three head units (B1, H1 and D1) and three extension units (BE, HE and ME). While the three Smart head units are all fully functional media streamers, their physical differences provide a particular added functionality.

- The Smart B1 has an integrated BluRay drive.
- The Smart H1 has an integrated hot swappable HDD tray.
- The Smart D1 has a digital display along with space for an internally fitted HDD.

This allows the user to choose the specific Smart head unit that best matches their particular needs.

Similarly, the extension units allow users to easily upgrade their head unit's capabilities to their exacting needs.

- The BE extends the head unit with an external Bluray drive.
- The HE extends the head unit with an external hot swappable hard drive.
- The ME extends the head unit by providing space for two Dune expansion boards (not reviewed).

The extension units have been specifically designed to connect to the head units and provide a seamless experience when connected. Having all six units match in dimension, design and experience, makes the Smart series look great and promise much.

http://www.digitalreviews.net/review...-reviewed.html
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:00 AM   #14
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

My question was about these
Quote:
One of the main features that distinguishes this media player from its competitors is its special compartment for extension boards. The compartment is located behind a panel at the rear of the media player. Up to 2 boards can be installed simultaneously.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:06 AM   #15
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
My question was about these
Ah. More here: http://dune-hd.com/uploads/advertizi...e_hd_smart.pdf

From a forum: ..there are currently no expansion cards available, but there is a rumour that they will be announced in the not too distant future. The likes of DVB-T, DVB-S & DVB-C cards are likely to be released, but possibly other types of cardds as well.

http://www.digitalnow.com.au/whichcard.html
Old May 1, 2012, 11:10 AM   #16
Chuki
Rage3D Veteran

Thanks for the help guys went with a Sony, after reading the manual they do indeed play xvid. Haven't found anything it won't play of mine yet.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2