Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

"

Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:10 PM   #2671
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Not everyone has side exhaust and mostly looking at chassis design one exhaust vent is all there is and sometimes it's even a huge 25cm diameter fan like those found on Thermaltake cases. Even then we would need an adapter to drop it down to 120mm from the looks of the rad to attach it, then you need to take in to consideration is there enough clearance between the side panel, rad and video card? In most instances I doubt it especially in a push pull scenario.

Again, great concept but not realistic. I can see this being great for a small Lanbox but not for the gamer such as ourselves.
IDK, mounting those antec coolers (astek) on video cards seem pretty popular on OCN. It works friggin amazing. I got rid of my FT-02 mostly because it made aftermarket cooling and mods a pita. The FT-02 and RV-02 that you own are good for stock blower coolers and thats it. There are other cases like the HAF series or the NZXT swtich or Corsair's cases that will accommodate those coolers and many other configurations with ease. I've passed on several video cards like the Asus direct cu-2 and coolers since they wouldn't fit in my FT-02. The case has drawbacks.

Also, as long as you have good airflow I don't find coolers that don't exhaust to be a big deal. I wouldn't hesitate to have the air from the rads blowing into my case.
BababooeyHTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:10 PM   #2672
Higgy10
Rage3D Veteran

Higgy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Lol well I am now at my GF's, stopped in to the local shop, no 680's anywhere they are only getting in 1 or 2 at a time which sucks and they don't expect that to increase till late May early June... They have an HIS Radeon 7970 on for $519.99 an XFX on for $529.99. Went and had lunch and contemplated what I should do, went over bill payments, groceries, nice trip planned to Sandiego in early June that I am saving for.... I can afford it but then never went back.

Still gpuless in the tower and stuck on the 560m.....
The ncix ones all sold out for $479? Tigerdirect had visiontek ones for $509 also(i picked up one of those) to bad i didnt wait and would have saved a few more bucks. I would go for one of those unless u want to wait and be gpuless until 680s get into stock. Same deal in ontario too, virtually nonexistant stock.
CFX 290
24" Samsung LCD x3
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:16 PM   #2673
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHapatingjaky can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
The ncix ones all sold out for $479? Tigerdirect had visiontek ones for $509 also(i picked up one of those) to bad i didnt wait and would have saved a few more bucks. I would go for one of those unless u want to wait and be gpuless until 680s get into stock. Same deal in ontario too, virtually nonexistant stock.
I would prefer to not purchase from NCIX, bad experiences with them. I would like to purchase in town so I can use it immediately. I am a little worried, I haven't had the system on in about 2 months, hasn't even been plugged in, worried the h70 will leak...
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.8GHz/Uncore, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, GSKILL 16GB DDR3 2400MHz CAS9, Asus R295x2 + MSI 290x OC Gamer Edition Creative Labs Soundblaster Z, OCZ Vector 512GB Raid 0, Corsair AXI 1200i PSU, SilverStone Temjin TJ11, Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Naga 2014, Samsung U28D590 4K Display, Windows 8.1 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2674
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post

Shadow and noko both rocking 8 cores of gaming powa
Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post

I have 12 cores in total remember....I just numbered those not doing anything while gaming....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2675
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
I have 12 cores in total remember...
Sorry I dont pay much attention
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:45 PM   #2676
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I just numbered those not doing anything while gaming....
It would probably be even more than that most of the time.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:59 PM   #2677
shadow001

shadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
It would probably be even more than that most of the time.

I'm so far ahead of the curve that it needs it's own zip code, at least for gaming...
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:02 PM   #2678
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
I'm so far ahead of the curve that it needs it's own zip code, at least for gaming...
Not really, my 2500k is faster in most games.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:07 PM   #2679
shadow001

Quote:
Not really, my 2500k is faster in most games.

I meant in terms of hardware not being used...
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:09 PM   #2680
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quite an achievement.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:12 PM   #2681
H001iGAN
Orzysz

H001iGAN is still being judged by the masses

by the time they have games using this many cores my iphone is going to be faster then your rig
H001iGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:23 PM   #2682
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
by the time they have games using this many cores my iphone is going to be faster then your rig

Heh...I'm planning a 20 core/40 thread setup by the end of this year or early next for professional applications depending on when ivy bridge EP is released.....Gaming performance is lagging behind on actually using the hardware, and i simply refuse to wait for developers and/or publishers to get their thumbs out of their collective asses...

The one good thing about it, is that i'm good for years with the 4 HD7970's at the slow ass pace games are developed to even really begin leveraging all those resources.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:30 PM   #2683
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Heh...I'm planning a 20 core/40 thread setup by the end of this year or early next for professional applications depending on when ivy bridge EP is released.....Gaming performance is lagging behind on actually using the hardware, and i simply refuse to wait for developers and/or publishers to get their thumbs out of their collective asses...
What about all of that future proofing that you've been raving about?

Quote:
The one good thing about it, is that i'm good for years with the 4 HD7970's at the slow ass pace games are developed to even really begin leveraging all those resources.
With three 2560x1440 displays? or better yet upcoming 4k displays? What about with AA or other IQ enhancements?

I tell you right now that my GTX680 is not enough for a single 1440p display. I would be surprised to find out that four 7970s is enough for three of the very same resolution displays.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:41 PM   #2684
shadow001

Quote:
What about all of that future proofing that you've been raving about?

With three 2560x1440 displays? or better yet upcoming 4k displays? What about with AA or other IQ enhancements?

I tell you right now that my GTX680 is not enough for a single 1440p display. I would be surprised to find out that four 7970s is enough for three of the very same resolution displays.

If it was exclusively gaming, i am future proof for years but it isn't just gaming and the other applications are meant for work wich are meant as a living from wich i make money, so it's a little bit more important than playing games.

Upcoming 4k displays will be made by samsung using a new process and come straight from japan, and given the novelty factor and the exchange rate with japan, cheap they won't be anytime soon....Basically don't count on them being mass produced in some chinese sweat shop so they'll be affordable to buy anytime soon...

As for current games with the HD7970 setup, i keep in mind that the drivers for these cards, and the GTX680's for that matter, are very raw and will need months( if not more) to get all the kinks worked out and see their full speed, and in any case it's still a partial picture of their true capabilities since in all cases, they're benchmarked in games that were released to retail before the cards were out for developers to play with them and see what their can really do.

Once software is specifically written to really take advantage of either one to their fullest potential is when we see what they can truly do, but by then there will be even faster video cards anyhow...
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2685
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Your buying hardware that you have no use for, other than for the sake of buying it it's really that simple. Cores you will never have use for and soon more cores you wont have use for. A 4th card which contribution to your fps is around 10 or less for the most part. Your epeen impresses only yourself too bad you don't realize that. This concept of future proofing when you plan on upgrading on a fairly quick schedule makes 0 sense. Unless your going to keep your cpu setup for the next 6+ years (which you wont) you aren't future proofing anything. It's not how many legs you have it's how many are used and how fast they are. Your setup while impressive on paper for real world application of your use is like having an even bigger AMD bulldozer.

Last edited by nycdarkness : Apr 14, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:55 PM   #2686
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Your buying hardware that you have no use for, other than for the sake of buying it it's really that simple. Cores you will never have use for and soon more cores you wont have use for. A 4th card which contribution to your fps is around 10 or less for the most part. Your epeen impresses only yourself too bad you don't realize that. This concept of future proofing when you plan on upgrading on a fairly quick schedule makes 0 sense. Unless your going to keep your cpu setup for the next 6+ years (which you wont) you aren't future proofing anything. It's not how many legs you have it's how many are used and how fast they are. Your setup while impressive on paper for real world application of your use is like having an even bigger AMD bulldozer.

I use my current setup on professional applications that already leverage all 12 cores, and only go for upgrades when there's at least a 50%+ increase in CPU performance for those applications, as those pay the bills ....Gaming is hopelessly behind, well it's their own fault as they seem to have forgotten that killer software sells hardware mantra.

So don't come and tell me what i will or won't do with my system or how it performs...
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:10 PM   #2687
icecold1983
Rage3D Veteran

icecold1983 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziklitschli View Post
Just imagine your wrath if accidentaly AMD releases a performance driver that makes it faster than 680...
will certainly not happen

http://gawker.com/5002269/the-cruise...ed-to-suppress

AHAHAHAH WTF IS HE TALKING ABOUT??????????
icecold1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:47 PM   #2688
Ziklitschli
Rage3D Veteran

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold1983 View Post
will certainly not happen
Stock I suppose so but OCed to 680 numbers I have the feeling it should have better results than it has now. Maybe nV totaly outsmarted AMD with this architecture though, who knows, the quote was mainly trying to annoy KickAssCop a bit more anyway.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.

Last edited by Ziklitschli : Apr 14, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:57 PM   #2689
Ziklitschli
Rage3D Veteran

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Also, as long as you have good airflow I don't find coolers that don't exhaust to be a big deal. I wouldn't hesitate to have the air from the rads blowing into my case.
I agree, have no problems with a HAF 922 and OCed Fermi, those cases push enough air and have proper air circulation speed (at least those with 20cm+ fans) for aftermarket gpu coolers.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:23 PM   #2690
demo
space cadet

Good review of the EVGA GTX680 SC+ (sorry if its been posted before)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-review-2.html
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2691
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

**** Kepler and the horse it rode in on... I just purchased a 7970 again considering it is only 480 usd now and available. My word, what a miracle...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:39 PM   #2692
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
**** Kepler and the horse it rode in on... I just purchased a 7970 again considering it is only 480 usd now and available. My word, what a miracle...
LLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:43 PM   #2693
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
LLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Yeah man, got pissed off at no availability and was being told don't think about it for next 2 weeks once again. I am going to go to the market tomorrow. If I find a 680 for cheaper than 545 USD, I will buy. Otherwise 680 can choke on my nuts. It is selling for about 605 used. I paid 535 for a brand new 7970 including import duties (which I will probably get a refund on). So all in all my price would be 500 USD after shipping all the way from US of A!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:44 PM   #2694
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAkumajo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Well it seems like you got a deal $$ thats great... I was waiting for Kepler for that precise reason to once again see competitive pricing.

Anyways I am on the fence I am definetly thinking of getting either a Radeon HD 7970 .... or a Kepler based GTX 680 depending on the price, package and deals but I will wait just a tiny painful minute (months) more, I already got a new AMD cpu and mobo so I am getting all kinds of excited for the 2012 tech...

WHo knows maybe AMD will revive the Pro or XT and Nvidia the Ultra... but more than likely by the time the dual gpu cards prolly...

Helghast... till the end of days!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ52epZ6nWw Gaming Crisis!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNu_-deVemE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp9SQduS_r0 Why u mad tho?
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:46 PM   #2695
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumajo View Post
Well it seems like you got a deal $$ thats great... I was waiting for Kepler for that precise reason to once again see competitive pricing.

Anyways I am on the fence I am definetly thinking of getting either a Radeon HD 7970 .... or a Kepler based GTX 680 depending on the price, package and deals but I will wait just a tiny painful minute (months) more, I already got a new AMD cpu and mobo so I am getting all kinds of excited for the 2012 tech...

WHo knows maybe AMD will revive the Pro or XT and Nvidia the Ultra... but more than likely by the time the dual gpu cards prolly...
Go to Amazon.com. Type in Diamond 7970. Purchase for 480 USD. Apply for a 20 rebate. End price about 460 USD. Enjoy!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:49 PM   #2696
Roadhog_
Sausages

Quote:
Yeah man, got pissed off at no availability and was being told don't think about it for next 2 weeks once again. I am going to go to the market tomorrow. If I find a 680 for cheaper than 545 USD, I will buy. Otherwise 680 can choke on my nuts. It is selling for about 605 used. I paid 535 for a brand new 7970 including import duties (which I will probably get a refund on). So all in all my price would be 500 USD after shipping all the way from US of A!
Should have just stuck with your 7970 in the first place. It looks to be faster than a 680 clock for clock anyways.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:10 PM   #2697
demo
space cadet

No its not. Clock for clock has never been directly comparable between different video card archs anyway. You need to give the 7970 a 15% oc to match stock clocks of 680, and its still slower.

and lol @ KAC
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:12 PM   #2698
Roadhog_
Sausages

Quote:
No its not. Clock for clock has never been directly comparable between different video card archs anyway. You need to give the 7970 a 15% oc to match stock clocks of 680, and its still slower.

and lol @ KAC
So then why did it trade blows with a 1070mhz clock at higher resolutions?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:15 PM   #2699
demo
space cadet

Where did it trade blows in that review? It had a 15% oc and was still slower in every test except for AvP.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:22 PM   #2700
Roadhog_
Sausages

Quote:
Where did it trade blows in that review? It had a 15% oc and was still slower in every test except for AvP.
This review.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...gb-review.html

The 680 won 24 game tests, while the 7970 won 29 game tests. The 7970 was even clocked lower than the 680. :|