Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

"

Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber
Default Anyone have some tips for a rusted rock chip?

Have 3 little tiny rock chips on the front of my prelude that have rusted. Anyone have some tips for dealing with it? Rust converter pen? Light wet sanding? Just touch up paint em? I wish I had tackled it earlier, but the longer I leave this I imagine the worse it will get.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 8Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - 120GiB HD Samsung 840 -
3TiB Seagate Expansion (USB 3.0 external) - PowerColor Radeon R7 260x TurboDuo - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 8.1 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Skynet
Babulerman Apprentice

Skynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Por-15 is the best product I've used to stop rust. Even if you don't use the paint itself before your top coat, the cleaner and prep are awesome. Beware though, if you use the paint (3rd step) when it dries it is hard a rock and nearly impossible to remove, so if you put too much it's work to sand it down.

But the basic step is to remove as much rust as possible, either by sanding or some other friction method, use a rust killing product, rust inhibiting primer, then your touch up paint.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:25 PM   #3
nrs421
Rage3D Veteran

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

i think i remember reading somewhere that you should cover the surrounding area with painters tape and then wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper to remove the rust.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:43 AM   #4
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
i think i remember reading somewhere that you should cover the surrounding area with painters tape and then wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper to remove the rust.
Have you ever tried 2000 grit sandpaper on rust?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:59 AM   #5
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
Are you trying to polish the rust with that 2000 grit?
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:42 AM   #6
Skynet
Babulerman Apprentice

Skynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The easiest way to take the rust off is a prep disc, you can get them pretty small about 1" in diameter. But if you do that, then you will have to carefully feather the paint around the area by wet sanding. It all depends on how far you want to go with the repair, the proper way is to go to bare metal, feather sand, use the etching compound/rust killer, fill in with body filler or glaze if needed, prime, then paint.

The cheap and dirty way is to use the rust killer, then hit it with touch up paint. It will slow down the rust but it will come back eventually.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:53 AM   #7
nrs421
Rage3D Veteran

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Have you ever tried 2000 grit sandpaper on rust?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
Are you trying to polish the rust with that 2000 grit?
lol. never tried it. maybe it was use a sanding pen and then sand excess paint with 2000 grit.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:33 AM   #8
DeathKnight
Rage3D Spammer

DeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Sand to remove loose crap then use rust converter on it (I use the Rust-Oleum stuff). You also won't have to repaint right away as it seals and primes the surface.
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 2 x 4GB G.SKILL DDR3 2133 | Gigabyte GTX 570 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD | Maxtor 300GB SATA Ultra16 | Seagate 500GB 32MB SATA2 | WD 640GB Black | Toshiba 2.5" 500GB in eSATA enclosure | Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD/RW drive | Antec P180B w/700w Thermaltake TP modular PSU | Win 7 Pro | 1920x1080 w/LCD TV
HT: Philips 42PFL3603D/27 42" 1080P LCD HDTV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX APO | Sigma EX APO 1.4x TC | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead

My New Photo Gallery (prints available)
Old Gallery
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote