Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

"

Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4081
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Exposed
Rage3D Veteran

Exposed is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Yeh that would be pretty win, open source 3D for the masses iZ3D dynamic convergence is a nice feature, but iirc didnt they have issues with AA, SLI, and DX10+ like Tri-Def??
They fixed AA and added support for DX10/DX11 for games in the last beta driver. SLI support was never added, but I'm sure once open sourced it would just be a matter of time before it is.

I specifically want to see frame sequential support added to 3DTV's. At minimum this would allow 1080p 30hz in 3D, but potentially might open up "unofficial" modes to max out current HDMI chips.

3DTV Play officially supports frame packing only (and therefore limited to 720p 60z/1080p 24hz), even though many 3dTV's can do frame sequential. Of course if they supported frame sequential then they wouldn't be able to charge $49.

The only way to get frame sequential to work (and therefore the benefits of 1080 30hz+), is to hack the driver into thinking it's connected to a CRT so 3DVision is used instead of 3DTVPlay (which is just 3DVision crippled to support HDMI modes only). Too bad recent drivers defeated this hack, but it sure makes an open source 3D driver all the more desired.

Last edited by Exposed : Apr 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:55 PM   #4082
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Of course if they supported frame sequential then they wouldn't be able to charge $49.
Why is that?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:30 PM   #4083
Exposed
Rage3D Veteran

Frame sequential is all ready built into 3D Vision, which is free since its integrated with drivers. It can be used with TV's with frame sequential support simply by overriding the EID into thinking its a CRT. Nvidia charges $49 for 3DTV Play, which is the "official" way for HDMI 1.4a 3dtv support, and it's not even extra software. They are basically charging you to enable 3D access to a TV.

Last edited by Exposed : Apr 14, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:59 PM   #4084
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Frame sequential is all ready built into 3D Vision, which is free since its integrated with drivers. It can be used with TV's with frame sequential support simply by overriding the EID into thinking its a CRT. Nvidia charges $49 for 3DTV Play, which is the "official" way for HDMI 1.4a 3dtv support, and it's not even extra software. They are basically charging you to enable 3D access to a TV.
They just shouldn't have removed generic monitor from the options, that was a dick move.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:09 AM   #4085
Biccy
Radeon HD 6670

Biccy is still being judged by the masses

Dead Space 1-2

Dead Space 1 Helix Fix
Dead Space 2 3d Helix Fix

Dead Space 2 - 3d Screenshots

Completely fixes the shadows and lighting. Can't wait to go through Dead Space again!

Deus Ex 3

The closest you can get to fixing Deus Ex 3 is to use this program created by Flugan, over on The Nvidia Forums:

DXHR 3D Settings Fix

This will let you boost the 3D Depth past the games max default of 20% while also letting you change the convergence plane.
The game does still have its problems though. Sometimes the shadows only appear in one eye for example... Its probably the worst 3d I've seen so far frankly and I only played it in 3d because I was 2 levels away from the end, plus the DLC was short.

Deus Ex 3 screenshots

Last edited by Biccy : Apr 15, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Biccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:45 PM   #4086
Exposed
Rage3D Veteran

Was playing Mass Effect 3 last night with Helix's fix. This was on a 46" Samsung LED 3DTV. 1080p with interpolation on (120hz per eye).

Even to this day I am simply amazed how 3D gaming is mind blowingly fantastic. Walking through the dust and smoke particles were startlingly real, the contours on faces were incredibly lifelike, like "REAL" people. 3D objects have amazingly fine grain depth, even the distant scenery (especially the beautiful alien landscapes) were breathtakingly far and vivid, as if I was actually standing there looking out. I think some of this has to do with a big screen 3DTV at a comfortable distance giving the extraordinary depth perception. I can't wait to get my hands on a 55" 4k 3DTV!

I have zero ghosting with Samsung 3DTV. Even with the 1080p 24hz limitation interpolation still gives an overall smooth experience (120hz). I just can't imagine going to back to 2D gaming, even if was higher resolution. 2D is 2D and is black and white compared to 3D.

Do people not truly understand what they're missing without gaming in 3d????
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:16 PM   #4087
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I cant play at 24hz even with interpolation, theres just too many artifacts & tearing, plus poor input. I can with 60fps vsync + interpolation np, it looks perfect to my eye, not a single artifact. So for me its 720p with uber filtering for console ports on the TV and gamepad, and 1080p on the monitor with KB/M.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:41 AM   #4088
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Do people not truly understand what they're missing without gaming in 3d????
Not everyone sees depth correctly, and so not everyone will get as much out of it as we do. That's about all I can come up with anyway, as 3d gaming is amazing. I can game in 2d just fine, but 3d can make a great game legendary.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:55 AM   #4089
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It just makes games more real. Always enjoyed the depth or the illusion of depth so going 3d stereo makes so much sense for me. To feel like one is inside the game and at times the game-play comes out of the game into my realm of existence.

It's been a hoot to see the engineers try to improve and solve the limitations as 3d stereo is maturing. Have to give accolades to nVidia for investing and evangelizing 3d stereo so strongly.

All from this little data point:

http://www.cnet.com.au/nvidia-to-mak...-339288550.htm

Just when you thought the world and its forums were doomed; a new hero saves the day: http://i26.tinypic.com/okpfs8.jpg
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:23 AM   #4090
Biccy
Radeon HD 6670

Latest Mass Effect 2 fix from Helix Mod

http://helixmod.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ore-after.html

I don't think the crosshair fix link in there is correct though, so look above, in this thread, on how to fix it manually.

And, yeah, 3D films (cinema/pictures), PS3 3D, 3DS...I agreed with my mates that they were just gimmicks. I own a 3DS, I've seen films in 3D and, thanks to my Asus VG278H monitor, I've played Uncharted 3 in 3D as well. Got to admit, they all feel very lifeless.

PC 3D...unbelievable. Until you've had a chance to try it out, you'll never know I think. It's really invigorated me again to play more games.

So tempted to install some older games to see what they'll look like.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:03 PM   #4091
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biccy View Post
Latest Mass Effect 2 fix from Helix Mod

http://helixmod.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ore-after.html

I don't think the crosshair fix link in there is correct though, so look above, in this thread, on how to fix it manually.

And, yeah, 3D films (cinema/pictures), PS3 3D, 3DS...I agreed with my mates that they were just gimmicks. I own a 3DS, I've seen films in 3D and, thanks to my Asus VG278H monitor, I've played Uncharted 3 in 3D as well. Got to admit, they all feel very lifeless.

PC 3D...unbelievable. Until you've had a chance to try it out, you'll never know I think. It's really invigorated me again to play more games.

So tempted to install some older games to see what they'll look like.
Have you played all of the official 3d ready stuff yet? Batman AA and AC are legendary.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:18 PM   #4092
Biccy
Radeon HD 6670

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
Have you played all of the official 3d ready stuff yet? Batman AA and AC are legendary.
Yeah, playing AC:Revelations at the moment and played Batman AC. Already went through Batman AA twice already though, before the 3d monitor, and I tend to do everything in the games the first time round. So it might be a little while before I go back to that one again.

Just installed Alice Madness Returns. Had the game on the back burner since it came out. Physx + 3D, gotta be a good mixture
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:30 PM   #4093
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biccy View Post
Yeah, playing AC:Revelations at the moment and played Batman AC. Already went through Batman AA twice already though, before the 3d monitor, and I tend to do everything in the games the first time round. So it might be a little while before I go back to that one again.

Just installed Alice Madness Returns. Had the game on the back burner since it came out. Physx + 3D, gotta be a good mixture
The batman games are worth playing again in 3d. Gliding around in 3d is awesome, as are the 3d in-game scenes.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:09 PM   #4094
Nunz
Rage3D Spammer

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I don't know but I just couldn't get into 3D.
This monitor is a heap of ****, the only thing it's good for is 120hz.

I might try the new Batman in 3D.. I just can't handle the crosstalk that happens. Plus, I never got that awesome "popout" feeling that you guys talk about. Sure, I would get a little.. but some of you guys make it seem like you're getting so much more than I am.

I did play Crysis 2 in 3D when it came out for the majority of the game, and it was great. That was the last time I touched 3D.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:33 PM   #4095
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post

I might try the new Batman in 3D.. I just can't handle the crosstalk that happens. Plus, I never got that awesome "popout" feeling that you guys talk about. Sure, I would get a little.. but some of you guys make it seem like you're getting so much more than I am.

I did play Crysis 2 in 3D when it came out for the majority of the game, and it was great. That was the last time I touched 3D.
Like I said, not everyone sees 3d depth the same way. If crosstalk is a problem, you can try lower depth with higher convergence settings like sirpauly seems to enjoy.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:10 PM   #4096
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

Honestly there are much better games in 3d than Crysis 2. I know that Demo had that display for the longest time. If its crosstalk that you're having issues with in certain games ask him for some advice. I know that he gave me some great advice that really helped me out when I first got into 3d.

Also for pop out almost no games have any pop out by default. You need to go into the Nvidia control panel in the 3d vision settings area select "set keyboard shortcuts" and there should be an option to enable advanced setting or something like that. Then in game hit F7 by default to increase convergence. Try it out in a game like Trine, really can make all of the difference in the world.

It honestly sounds to me like you never game 3d vision a fair chance. I mean I thought that the fake 3d in Crysis 2 was awful. There are far more impressive 3d experiences than Crysis 2.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:13 PM   #4097
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Like I said, not everyone sees 3d depth the same way. If crosstalk is a problem, you can try lower depth with higher convergence settings like sirpauly seems to enjoy.
With the newer monitor -- up to 60 percent depth now.

Just when you thought the world and its forums were doomed; a new hero saves the day: http://i26.tinypic.com/okpfs8.jpg
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:18 PM   #4098
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
Honestly there are much better games in 3d than Crysis 2. I know that Demo had that display for the longest time. If its crosstalk that you're having issues with in certain games ask him for some advice. I know that he gave me some great advice that really helped me out when I first got into 3d.

Also for pop out almost no games have any pop out by default. You need to go into the Nvidia control panel in the 3d vision settings area select "set keyboard shortcuts" and there should be an option to enable advanced setting or something like that. Then in game hit F7 by default to increase convergence. Try it out in a game like Trine, really can make all of the difference in the world.

It honestly sounds to me like you never game 3d vision a fair chance. I mean I thought that the fake 3d in Crysis 2 was awful. There are far more impressive 3d experiences than Crysis 2.
Can receive insane pop-out in games, but try to find the right balance for me. The convergence setting is very important to me.

Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:30 PM   #4099
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
With the newer monitor -- up to 60 percent depth now.
Indeed, newer screens are better. I am loving my BenQ. It's a shame about the company's crappy customer service though.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:26 PM   #4100
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

You need to manually adjust convergence for pop out. Yes that display had some crosstalk issues, about the only game I really played on it in 3D was SC2 because it had zero crosstalk. 100% depth and ~10% convergence in SC2's own 3D options works well. This is why I was using the TV for 3D games like Batman etc, no crosstalk. New display is excellent as there is next to no crosstalk in any game, plus a far brighter and more vibrant image, I love it.
Crysis2 looks pretty terrible compared to proper 3D, I get the feeling you havent seen proper 3D set up correctly.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:44 PM   #4101
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
You need to manually adjust convergence for pop out. Yes that display had some crosstalk issues, about the only game I really played on it in 3D was SC2 because it had zero crosstalk. 100% depth and ~10% convergence in SC2's own 3D options works well. This is why I was using the TV for 3D games like Batman etc, no crosstalk. New display is excellent as there is next to no crosstalk in any game, plus a far brighter and more vibrant image, I love it.
Crysis2 looks pretty terrible compared to proper 3D, I get the feeling you havent seen proper 3D set up correctly.
That's the notion I'm getting too if Crysis 2 was his best experience.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:19 PM   #4102
Exposed
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Not everyone sees depth correctly, and so not everyone will get as much out of it as we do. That's about all I can come up with anyway, as 3d gaming is amazing. I can game in 2d just fine, but 3d can make a great game legendary.
That's true, everyone is different. When it does work though, with properly set stereo settings, it's like you're living a second life through your character. I thoroughly enjoyed Skyrim in 3D and just recently Mass Effect 3 (saddened by the ending).

Now I think it's time to replay Risen in anticipation of Risen 2.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:21 PM   #4103
Exposed
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
I cant play at 24hz even with interpolation, theres just too many artifacts & tearing, plus poor input. I can with 60fps vsync + interpolation np, it looks perfect to my eye, not a single artifact. So for me its 720p with uber filtering for console ports on the TV and gamepad, and 1080p on the monitor with KB/M.
For me it depends on the game. For most games 1080p is fine even with 24hz, I am used to the control response and slight visual tearing. Only very fast paced games like Serious Sam and Need for Speed do I have to switch to 1080p checkerboard (IZ3D) or 720p FP (3DTVPlay).
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4104
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
For me it depends on the game. For most games 1080p is fine even with 24hz, I am used to the control response and slight visual tearing. Only very fast paced games like Serious Sam and Need for Speed do I have to switch to 1080p checkerboard (IZ3D) or 720p FP (3DTVPlay).
Even LA Noire at 30fps felt awful to me, I'm spoiled.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:01 PM   #4105
demo
space cadet

Well you can play at 24hz without vsync and input is fine, however I cant stand looking at 24hz without vsync, plus frame interpolation, makes my eyes bleed

Really it has to be 60fps vsync in 3D for me, and interpolation on top if I'm using the TV.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4106
Nunz
Rage3D Spammer

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I played Just Cause 2, which had pretty good popout and I enjoyed it but performance was still low on the GTX480s and I also had massive crosstalk issues.
Call of Duty: Black Ops was probably my best experience with 3D, mostly because it was very smooth and I was able to run lots of depth / convergence with little to no crosstalk.

I played that game from start to finish in about 2 days because 3D made it awesome.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4107
demo
space cadet

Put it this way nunz, since upgrading my display I have about triple the games to select from in 3D, probably more, simply because many looked like ass on the old display and I couldnt consider playing them. Even Portal 2, which was horrid on the 23", can be played with 100% depth and looks fine to me.

On the topic of pop out, you wont see much in FPS games like CoD due to the perspective, where for something to pop out, it must be inside your characters head Really need to play 3rd person, RTS etc to see pop out. In ArmA2 for example I can have a chopper hover in the middle of my room on the TV, or a good foot or two out of the montior, looks very cool.

Last edited by demo : Apr 16, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:12 PM   #4108
Nunz
Rage3D Spammer

Yeah.. no way I'm dropping $$ on a new display when 3D really hasn't impressed me to begin with.
Honestly this monitor is one of the biggest regrets I have in terms of computer hardware in the last 2 years.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:18 PM   #4109
demo
space cadet

Play some SC2, it has pop out aswell, you can make the airborne units hover outside the display. Set 100% depth and 10-15% convergence using the in game 3d settings. That is probably the best 3d you will get out of that display.

I liked that monitor anyway, was good for 120hz online gaming which was my main reason for buying it, I didnt even seriously consider 3D back then, but now that I know what can be achieved with 3D I love it. Shame you dont live close by, I'd invite you around to see 3D "done right" on the TV and new monitor.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:21 PM   #4110
Nunz
Rage3D Spammer

Yeah, it's great for 120hz and that's all. I have a defective monitor, hard to explain.
I need to RMA this damn thing and my PSU.