Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

"

Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eluder
Radeon HD 6870

Eluder is still being judged by the masses

Default Radeon 7970 Issues - Frustrated

So last night, I started experiencing an issue with my system hard locking with simple desktop use and also hanging on bootup at the Windows logo. I had this a while ago, which lead me to format, but the format didn't resolve it, so I attempted a BIOS reset (removed the CMOS battery), and that seemed to resolve the issue as it didn't occur for a few weeks, until last night.

I can't figure out what the source of the issue is, but it seems to go away when I go to a single GPU setup, whether it's the Gigabyte or the Asus that I'm using. I'm not sure if I have a bad PCIE slot on my mobo, or if it's somehow one of the cards going bad. Also, I have no clue why in the world it was working fine for a few weeks. It only started when I was tweaking voltages on the Gigabyte (lowering it to reduce loads temps). Now it hard locks when I'm just browsing and listening to music. I know IE has hardware acceleration enabled, so maybe that's what's triggering it, but still, it's not exactly tasking.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I'm thinking of getting a new motherboard, but before that I plan on flashing the BIOS of the Gigabyte as there is a new one out, doubt it'll resolve the issue though.

System specs in sig running Win7 Ultimate x64... note the system hard locks with stock GPU clocks. Thanks for any help you may provide.
16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
2x EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
Crucial M4 256GB
Seagate 4TB ST4000DM000
LG GGC-H20L
Pioneer BDR-205
Seasonic M12D-850W
Corsair Obsidian 650D
Dell U2711
Eluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

Test each of the cards individually under load. If it each of them works fine in that scenario, it is possible there is a problem with your motherboard/slot. It also could be that you're having an overheating problem when both cards are running in your system. Excess heat/heat pockets in your case can lead to all sorts of hard to track down problems/crashes.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Ichneumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:23 PM   #3
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

After you cleared CMOS did you load optimal defaults, save and reset before making any further changes? Are you testing at stock or overclocked?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 9, 2012, 02:00 PM   #4
meerkat154
Radeon 7870

meerkat154 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
So last night, I started experiencing an issue with my system hard locking with simple desktop use and also hanging on bootup at the Windows logo. I had this a while ago, which lead me to format, but the format didn't resolve it, so I attempted a BIOS reset (removed the CMOS battery), and that seemed to resolve the issue as it didn't occur for a few weeks, until last night.

I can't figure out what the source of the issue is, but it seems to go away when I go to a single GPU setup, whether it's the Gigabyte or the Asus that I'm using. I'm not sure if I have a bad PCIE slot on my mobo, or if it's somehow one of the cards going bad. Also, I have no clue why in the world it was working fine for a few weeks. It only started when I was tweaking voltages on the Gigabyte (lowering it to reduce loads temps). Now it hard locks when I'm just browsing and listening to music. I know IE has hardware acceleration enabled, so maybe that's what's triggering it, but still, it's not exactly tasking.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I'm thinking of getting a new motherboard, but before that I plan on flashing the BIOS of the Gigabyte as there is a new one out, doubt it'll resolve the issue though.

System specs in sig running Win7 Ultimate x64... note the system hard locks with stock GPU clocks. Thanks for any help you may provide.
I would take a look at the PS also...I see from your footer you have a Seasonic M12D-850W which should be more than enough juice. However maybe your PS is not supplying the correct or inconsistent power to the video card.
-Kat
meerkat154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Eluder
Radeon HD 6870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
Test each of the cards individually under load. If it each of them works fine in that scenario, it is possible there is a problem with your motherboard/slot. It also could be that you're having an overheating problem when both cards are running in your system. Excess heat/heat pockets in your case can lead to all sorts of hard to track down problems/crashes.
Doubt it's heat as I have a 230mm bitfenix spectre pro blowing directly on the cards. I don't believe it's a heat issue, and things seem to work just fine with a single card. I'm going to try the secondary PCIE16x slot to see if it causes any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
After you cleared CMOS did you load optimal defaults, save and reset before making any further changes? Are you testing at stock or overclocked?
Yes sir, did that, running OC on the system CPU, but I've Prime95 stress tested the system. Getting the hardlock while the GPUs are stock though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat154 View Post
I would take a look at the PS also...I see from your footer you have a Seasonic M12D-850W which should be more than enough juice. However maybe your PS is not supplying the correct or inconsistent power to the video card.
-Kat
I thought about the PSU, but it is sufficient juice, but I guess it could be going bad, but would the GPUs need much juice during the Windows boot up screen? Could it really be the GPUs causing the hard lock at boot up?

Oh, just wanted to ask, what do you guys suggest I use to stress test each component that could be the source of this problem? Ie: CPU, Ram, etc.

Last edited by Eluder : Apr 12, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Eluder
Radeon HD 6870

Ok, might be a RAM issue, at least based on what happened.
Was running the Windows 7 memory diag and it hung 21% into the Extended mode. Going to reset my BIOS to stock to see if it still hangs.

Might be a false alarm, going to skip the win7 diag and use memtest86+ instead.

Last edited by Eluder : Apr 12, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:11 AM   #7
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yeah run memtest and verify your memory, at both stock and OC settings. Might need to tweak your timings or adjust memory controller voltage on your CPU.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Eluder
Radeon HD 6870

Confirmed, RAM is not the issue.
Ran memtest86+ for roughly 13 hrs (6 passes) with the OC settings and not a single error.

Off to check my CPU's OC to see if that could be the cause.

Last edited by Eluder : Apr 12, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:56 PM   #9
Eluder
Radeon HD 6870

So 12hrs of OCCT 4.2.0 with my OC and no issues reported, so now I'm a little baffled as to what it would be.
PSU, Motherboard (though both slots seems to work ok), or could it be the SSD even?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

Having validated all the things you've tested, it's more likely its a motherboard component than your SSD. If all your individual parts work and test ok independently then it's probable the issue is somewhere on your motherboard (or less likely your CPU).

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Ichneumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Eluder
Radeon HD 6870

I also think motherboard, but the thing is it's so intermittent.
Last night I put both cards back in and it seems to be working fine, so it's quite difficult to pinpoint.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:50 PM   #12
Eluder
Radeon HD 6870

I might have figured out the issue. My gigabyte card has an asic score of 75% which I may have mistaken as a card with a core voltage of 1.1125, rather than 1.174 which msi ab set as the defaults. Anyway, I've set the gigabyte to a 1.174mV card and so far so good, but I need to give it time to confirm that was it.
16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
2x EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
Crucial M4 256GB
Seagate 4TB ST4000DM000
LG GGC-H20L
Pioneer BDR-205
Seasonic M12D-850W
Corsair Obsidian 650D
Dell U2711
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:18 PM   #13
Eluder
Radeon HD 6870

Well, the problem reared its ugly head again a couple of nights ago.
Now I'm just at a loss as to what it is...
I'm going to give one of the cards to my bro in law to see if he has the issue since he has a 7970 already. Also might try borrowing his card to see if it happens again, but boy is this starting to piss me off.