Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » General Radeon Discussion
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Radeon Discussion General discussion for news and rumours about discrete Radeon graphics products. Do not ask for tech support here, instead please use the Radeon Technical Support forum.

"

Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Featherbeard

Featherbeard is still being judged by the masses

Default Good upgrade from 4870x2?

Hey there! I've had my 4870x2 for many a year now, and I was considering finally looking at an upgrade. I'm a little out of touch in the realm of graphics cards these days, so I figured I'd ask here. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good upgrade, or if there is one yet? I'm looking to hopefully spend under 300 if possible, but I know how things can go. I've been been looking at both ATI and Nvidia cards, and I'm a little overwhelmed. Thanks!
Featherbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Dave
King of Manchesville

Dave achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmDave achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmDave achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmDave achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmDave achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmDave achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmDave achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmDave achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmDave achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmDave achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmDave achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Subscriber

Moved to General Radeon forum
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:19 PM   #3
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherbeard View Post
Hey there! I've had my 4870x2 for many a year now, and I was considering finally looking at an upgrade. I'm a little out of touch in the realm of graphics cards these days, so I figured I'd ask here. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good upgrade, or if there is one yet? I'm looking to hopefully spend under 300 if possible, but I know how things can go. I've been been looking at both ATI and Nvidia cards, and I'm a little overwhelmed. Thanks!
Do you want a single GPU card or would you consider 2 cards? What's your most important criteria for the upgrade, just performance or balance of features or noise and heat?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

Try a HD6990.

[EDIT: oh wait you want under 300 bucks? Secondhand 4870x2's still go for 200 !

HD6990 at newegg out of stock: "This product is currently unavailable." Sorry. /edit]

BUT a single 7970 (even a 7950) would be a great upgrade.
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |

Last edited by Blín D'ñero : Apr 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:09 PM   #5
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

I saw a few zotac 570's going for $239 at microcenter yesterday. Seems like a nice upgrade at a good price to me
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Swiftdeathz
7870 CFX

Swiftdeathz is still being judged by the masses

7870x2
Swiftdeathz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:18 AM   #7
noko
Rage3D Veteran

noko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynoko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherbeard View Post
I suggest you look at a number of reviews on various cards and look for ones that reflects how you use your computer. No way for us or anyone here to know what you need. For less then $300 you could CFX two 6870s. Spend a little more like $349 and get a 7870 which is roughly the same speed as a GTX 580, 2gb of memory, DX3.1, great GPU computing etc. Google "HD 7870 review" and see where that leads you, be a good first start. We have no idea what your future plans are as in you want 3d, multiple monitors, video etc. You are the best bet in figuring out what is best for you. Now if you have questions on a given model ask away.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:32 PM   #8
Flavius
Radeon HD 6850

Flavius is still being judged by the masses

I just upgraded from a 4870x2 to a 7870 and achieved:

25% increase in performance
50% reduction in power consumption
lower system temps
drastic reduction in noise
DirectX 10.1 support bumped to 11.1
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 05:14 AM   #9
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

A 7870 would indeed be a good solution for you; check on ebay as well, you might get lucky.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:45 AM   #10
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Get a 670 GTX. Oh wait you can't buy that one...
Get a 7970 instead.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 05:49 AM   #11
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

If he can find a 7970 with $300, gimme one too. Or three
Old May 8, 2012, 06:30 AM   #12
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

7970 used going for 400. I am sure he can nab a 100 for that X2. 300 boners and pumping fastest single gpu that is actually available in the market at lower than MSRP...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Nunz
Rage3D Spammer

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
pumping fastest single gpu that is actually available in the market at lower than MSRP...
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:27 PM   #14
acroig
Master Troll

acroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
He's right as the 680 is not available for purchase where he lives.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:11 PM   #15
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan is still being judged by the masses

I think that applies for many parts in the world (but maybe not the US). The 680 is no where to be found in sweden either.
Antec P180 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | Intel i5-3570K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | ASUS GTX 770 DCU-II OC | SyncMaster 2433BW 1920X1200 | Razer Lachesis | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 8.1 Professional

Google Nexus 4 | franco.Kernel
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 03:43 PM   #16
Nunz
Rage3D Spammer

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Sucks man. We now have 4 GTX680s in the house.

2 rigs running SLI. Sucks that it's not available man, but if you're in the US and complaining about availability then you aren't trying hard enough.

Kidding, of course if the smiley doesn't give it away.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 07:03 PM   #17
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

muzz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Get a 670 GTX. Oh wait you can't buy that one...
Get a 7970 instead.

Last night I was browsing Newegg and saw plenty of 670's for sale....I considered buying one, but decided against it cuz I'm not playing alot of games right now.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Omega53
Trolling like it's 1999

Omega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
Last night I was browsing Newegg and saw plenty of 670's for sale....I considered buying one, but decided against it cuz I'm not playing alot of games right now.
Hes just bitter because he cant buy one where he lives, so he has been bashing nVidia ever since.
AMD Driver Issues
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 09:10 AM   #19
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

muzz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
Hes just bitter because he cant buy one where he lives, so he has been bashing nVidia ever since.
I understand the frustration, he DID try and get one, but didn't have any luck with that, so he had to go and purchase another 7970.

I don't really even need a 670- a bit overkill for just 1 1080P monitor, even though it is 106" !
I don't play MP games either(except LFD2 once in a blue moon- NP there).

Maybe a 660 or a 7850 to replace the 5770 that is currently in my system....pretty sure the highest I would go is $300(and 7870 is currently $329) , as my days of "Playing" 3D Mark have been over for quite some time!