Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

"

Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

marqmajere is still being judged by the masses

Default Bought the x51 from Alienware...

Let the hate begin.

Laptop - iBuypower CZ-17 | Intel i7-3850 | 16 gigs DDR3 1600 | nVidia 675mx | Windows 8.1 64-bit |
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 05:46 AM   #2
H001iGAN
Orzysz

H001iGAN is still being judged by the masses

dude you got a dell...
H001iGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

I got an Alienware 4 years ago and it was a fantastic PC. If I could have afforded it I would have gotten another when I upgraded this winter. Excellent support (in the US- well, Miami anyway), excellent hardware, great communication and mine was a great experience.

My current build is inside the case I got with that PC 4 years ago. The case is roomy and well designed so I just reused it along with the psu. The only prob I have with the case is that the 2 USB ports in the front of the case are damaged.
Guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Chuck
Grim Fandango remake!

Chuck once held a door open for a complete strangerChuck once held a door open for a complete strangerChuck once held a door open for a complete stranger

What's there to hate you about? The X51 is one solid machine that can easily serve as a fully-gaming-capable HTPC. Try building a system with the same size that has a high-end CPU and upgradeable PCI-express graphics card. Need not waste your time, it's impossible without modding the heck outta your system.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Sazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqmajere View Post
Let the hate begin.
Enjoy

And...

Pics
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:04 AM   #6
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJZL can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

God, you're a pussy!

Feel better now?

Specs? Link for the lazy?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 05:31 PM   #7
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

Looks like a souped up xbox and about the same size...I like it. Software for customizing it looks sweet too. Hope you enjoy it
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:17 PM   #8
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

I'm a bit surprised by the reaction, to be honest. After reading all of the hate for pre-built systems, I figured I'd catch some flak for buying an Alienware. I purchased the biggest one they had.

i7-2600
8 gigs DDR3
GTX 555
1 TB hard drive

I didn't get the blueray drive. I don't need one on a pc. If this system isn't enough for me, I can throw in my 5850 and be good to go.

Laptop - iBuypower CZ-17 | Intel i7-3850 | 16 gigs DDR3 1600 | nVidia 675mx | Windows 8.1 64-bit |
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once held a door open for a complete strangerRistogod once held a door open for a complete strangerRistogod once held a door open for a complete strangerRistogod once held a door open for a complete stranger

I wear an Alienware hat every day (although I've never owned an Alienware computer).
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:57 PM   #10
bob saget
Low carb, high delicious.

bob saget is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialbob saget is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialbob saget is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialbob saget is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialbob saget is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialbob saget is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialbob saget is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialbob saget is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialbob saget is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialbob saget is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialbob saget is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
I wear an Alienware hat every day (although I've never owned an Alienware computer).
So you wear a Dell hat?
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:45 PM   #11
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

I think the only real hate is the price typically.

Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:55 PM   #12
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJZL can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My Alienware story is from the Radeon 8500 days when Alienware was one of the first boutique computers.

Some guy, a likeable dude, really, had bought one and brought it to the big LAN party, probably thinking he would impress a bunch of us. I'm not sure why, but a bunch of our ghetto home-rolled OC'ed comps were just kicking the bejeezus outa this thing. On paper he had the better computer, but in bench after bench it was getting killed. I'd swear the guy was fighting back tears.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:27 AM   #13
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
I think the only real hate is the price typically.

I hear you. In this case, however, it's pretty close to a build your own pc.

i7-2600 - $300
Asus Mini ITX - $80
8 gigs DDR3 1333 - $43
Comparable video card - ~$100
1TB HD - $110
Windows 7 - $100
Case (which you can't buy) - ~$100 (includes riser card)
DVD drive - $25
Power supply - $75
KB + mouse - $50

That comes out to $983, not including shipping or assembly costs. I was willing to pay a little premium for the look and the size.

The Aurora's and the laptop's are a bit too pricey though...

Last edited by marqmajere : Apr 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 01:21 AM   #14
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

You know, it could certainly be cheaper on your own and if you were deal hunting, but there's also a lot to be said for getting the whole package and the support.

It sounds like you got a decent deal, didn't buy it for the logo, and didn't shell out big bucks for upgrades that would be cheap/easy on your own, so good on you. Hope you enjoy your new system.

Alienware is respectable (though at times pricey and a bit blinged out) in my book. It's great to build your own rig, but it's not for everyone who wants a nice computer.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 4770K : 16GB Gskill DDR3 2133 : PNY GeForce GTX 670 : Asrock Z87E-ITX : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Crucial m4 256GB and Samsung 840 240GB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Achieva Shimian QH270 27" LED monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64
Laptop: Acer Travelmate Timeline 8172 : Intel Core i5 470UM : 4GB DDR3 1066 : Intel HD Integrated : Intel HM55 Chipset :
120GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD : 40W Power brick and 6 cell battery : Conexant HD Audio : 11.6" LCD : Windows 7 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600
: Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 03:30 AM   #15
Alientank
Mr. Pinch point

Alientank is not someone to be trifled withAlientank is not someone to be trifled withAlientank is not someone to be trifled withAlientank is not someone to be trifled withAlientank is not someone to be trifled withAlientank is not someone to be trifled withAlientank is not someone to be trifled withAlientank is not someone to be trifled with

Enjoy your overpriced pc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.
Alientank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 05:35 AM   #16
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Let the hate begin.
So how many jizz pellets?
Also pics or link or something?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:49 AM   #17
Chuck
Grim Fandango remake!

Chuck once held a door open for a complete strangerChuck once held a door open for a complete strangerChuck once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alientank View Post
Enjoy your overpriced pc?
Strange coming from a person who calls himself Alientank.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:52 AM   #18
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

He probably is- enjoying playing games on it and not troubleshooting and reinstalling apps and drivers etc trying to get it to work. Sometimes you pay for simplicity and it's worth it, if you have the money to spend.
Guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 09:53 AM   #19
Nunz
Blueshirt

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I've never had to reinstall apps / drivers to "Try to get it to work"
Custom building is the easiest thing in the world.

Though I think that was a great price, especially for the size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curio on GTA V View Post
I start feeling like crap after a while - and not just from sitting all day playing video games and not taking care of myself; but this **** always makes me real cynical. I start hating people, hating America, hating life in general. I swear this game slowly starts making me a sociopath.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:30 AM   #20
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

I think people remember Alienware when they robbed folk blind with their $6,000+ price tags. I would to laugh my rear off building a faster rig for less than a third of it. But as long as the price is comparable to building it yourself I see nothing wrong with a small premium for the peace of mind, unique look and features that come with a prebuilt pc
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:05 AM   #21
sittal
Rage3D Spammer

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i think you paid $1200 for it, right?

That's not bad at all for the specs. The case is really nice and I love the slim design.

Plus, all of your warranty work would be done through one company, you don't need to keep a word doc full of serial numbers, manufacturers, their third party support company phone numbers, item numbers from newegg, etc.

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:40 AM   #22
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

I normally custom build my own systems, but for the price they are selling the x51 for, I really wanted one. Once it gets here, it'll look great standing next to my PS3 and 360.

Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:40 PM   #23
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittal View Post
you don't need to keep a word doc full of serial numbers, manufacturers, their third party support company phone numbers, item numbers from newegg, etc.
why would you put that in a word doc? a spreadsheet would be the logical choice, doesn't even have to be microsoft office.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:01 PM   #24
sittal
Rage3D Spammer

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
why would you put that in a word doc? a spreadsheet would be the logical choice, doesn't even have to be microsoft office.
some days you are desperate to pick fights jim

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:07 AM   #25
Whiny Mooch

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittal View Post
some days you are desperate to pick fights jim
He is right though. Just use Google docs and you can access it from any device.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:17 AM   #26
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Sazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

Quote:
I normally custom build my own systems, but for the price they are selling the x51 for, I really wanted one. Once it gets here, it'll look great standing next to my PS3 and 360.
So, is it there yet

Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:22 PM   #27
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
So, is it there yet

It'll be here Monday. I'll have a youtube review thingy for it when I get a chance.

Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:11 PM   #28
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Subscriber

Quote:
It'll be here Monday. I'll have a youtube review thingy for it when I get a chance.
I want to find out the noise levels on the sucker when you push it

Look forward to the video
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:54 PM   #29
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyASCI Blue can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Congrats on the purchase, wife and I both use Alienware laptops. I've got a refurb M15x and she's got a M14x. Both have been stellar machines, one thing I'd forgotten about not having a lappy for several years is keeping the fan clean. Solved my overheating problems in about 5 minutes.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:00 PM   #30
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Let the hate begin.
Thought you meant this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-a-m-e View Post
Snatches scare me. I once saw this dude break his elbow doing one :shock:
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote