Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Fusion, Integrated and Mobility Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Fusion, Integrated and Mobility Support Discussion and technical support forum for AMD integrated and mobility graphics platforms including Accelerated Processing Units, Netbooks, Ultra Portables, Notebooks, HTPC and SFF.

"

Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default AMD Previews Trinity, Hondo and Brazos 2.0 at CEBIT '12

Whenever we're at CeBIT in Hanover, or IFA in Berlin, we visit AMD and ask nicely if they have anything new and exciting to show us. At IFA 2010 it was Brazos, at CeBIT 2011 it was Llano, and last year’s IFA brought us an early look at Bulldozer. So, what did AMD give us this year? Two things, actually. For one, we got a look at AMD’s upcoming Trinity APU in action – and for another, a video of said demo that we’re actually allowed to show you guys.

AMD’s Saša Marinkovic kicked off by giving us an rundown on what to expect during the next couple of months. As we already know, the second-generation APU code-named Trinity will be arriving in summer, with exact dates to be announced. The same goes for the tablet-bound Hondo and Brazos 2.0, which will be updated with TurboCore and USB 3.0. Those last two will still be built on a 40 nm process, but by next year, AMD says all of its parts will be 28 nm.

Toms Hardware
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:19 PM   #2
noko
Rage3D Veteran

noko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynoko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sounds impressive, may wait for TrinityII with GCN next year. Eyefinity with intergrated graphics is actually impressive . Sounds like during that Eyefinity demostration something like SMAA should have been used or something similar for AA IQ. Hopfuflly Nvidia new FXAA will drive this on AMD drivers.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:38 AM   #3
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Sounds impressive, may wait for TrinityII with GCN next year. Eyefinity with intergrated graphics is actually impressive . Sounds like during that Eyefinity demostration something like SMAA should have been used or something similar for AA IQ. Hopfuflly Nvidia new FXAA will drive this on AMD drivers.
Trinity already has GCN graphics in it, or do you mean that you think it will be not powerfull enough for you and thus you will wait for the next generation?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:14 AM   #4
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Trinity has VLIW4 graphics in it.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:09 AM   #5
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Trinity has VLIW4 graphics in it.
Think I missed the final word on that, rumors were it would use GCN
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird sings

Kewl.

Bedroom PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - AMD 1100T @3.7/4GHz - H50 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7870 OC - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 640GB Blue - Xonar DX - LG BDROM - Logitech 6110 - TT Volos - Antec 900 - CM 500W PSU - Samsung 32" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - BIC L/R & MTX Surround Speakers - Mission C70 Center - Sony 10" Sub - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

HTPC - Gigabyte GA-890GPA~UD3H - AthlonII X4 630 - HD6450 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - WD 500GB Black - WD 640GB Green - WD 2TB Green - LG BDROM - Ceton InfiniTV 4 w/ MCE Remote - Logitech MX5000 Laser Desktop - Corsair 450W - Silverstone LC10B-E - Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - PE 15" Sub - Classic Mission Speakers - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Office PC - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Intel 3570K - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7950 FLEX - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - Xonar DX - CM 500W PSU - Antec ON1E - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD - Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

4x Presentation Machines - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - FX-8350 w/ FX WC - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 5870 or 7870 Eyefinity 6 - 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - WD 500GB Black - DVDRW - Cooler Master Sileo 500 - 600W PSU - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - Office 2010 Pro
Dr. Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:33 AM   #7
caveman-jim
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PyroPath View Post
Think I missed the final word on that, rumors were it would use GCN
There's been no final word yet, but the little birdies who cheeped in my ear last time I was in Austin told me that.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:07 AM   #8
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

Quote:
There's been no final word yet, but the little birdies who cheeped in my ear last time I was in Austin told me that.
Ah, ok, tnx. Thought I missed it but feel a bit better now because I didn't, too bad for it not using GCN though...
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:20 AM   #9
bobvodka
No longer here.

bobvodka once held a door open for a complete strangerbobvodka once held a door open for a complete strangerbobvodka once held a door open for a complete strangerbobvodka once held a door open for a complete stranger

It's a shame we don't know if the GCN-Fusion devices will use the FM2 socket or a new FM3; the whole reason I've held off on any sort of Fusion system atm is knowing that FM1 was a dead upgrade path - if I knew that GCN-Fusion would work in an FM2 socket I might be tempted to build an FM2 system in the summer and then just drop in the new CPU next year when it appears.
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:21 AM   #10
caveman-jim
Retired

It's not clear from the road maps but I think that the APU's with GCN in them will have a new socket, because they're also moving more system functions in to the chip.

I think for APU's AMD are trying to get SoC functionality onboard as much as possible, no need for any external chips. Plus they want to get to Steamroller cores, too
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:04 PM   #11
bobvodka
No longer here.

bobvodka once held a door open for a complete strangerbobvodka once held a door open for a complete strangerbobvodka once held a door open for a complete strangerbobvodka once held a door open for a complete stranger

Aye, true true, that makes sense with regards to the new socket.

I was half pondering a Trinity Fusion CPU to replace my i7 920 for general day to day use; while no doubt an Ivy Bridge CPU is going to push more x64 instructions around the idea of combining an APU with my HD7 card yields some intresting ideas in the realms of physics or audio processing... but I'd rather wait for GCN before playing with that as it's just a better GPU arch than VLIW4, certainly for that kind of work load anyway.

I'll just focus on my graphics plans instead for now
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:14 PM   #12
caveman-jim
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvodka View Post
Aye, true true, that makes sense with regards to the new socket.

I was half pondering a Trinity Fusion CPU to replace my i7 920 for general day to day use; while no doubt an Ivy Bridge CPU is going to push more x64 instructions around the idea of combining an APU with my HD7 card yields some intresting ideas in the realms of physics or audio processing... but I'd rather wait for GCN before playing with that as it's just a better GPU arch than VLIW4, certainly for that kind of work load anyway.

I'll just focus on my graphics plans instead for now
I'm pretty sure that Trinity APU's with CFX with GCN GPU's.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:24 PM   #13
bobvodka
No longer here.

It might but I'm not thinking CFX anyway; I'm after a CPU-close compute unit to chew on things while the GPU does graphics and the x86 cores sort other stuff/queues up future work.

(Which is the kind of setup I've been dreaming of since before the words 'Fusion' or 'APU' were even uttered... )
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:25 PM   #14
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics once held a door open for a complete strangeraviphysics once held a door open for a complete strangeraviphysics once held a door open for a complete strangeraviphysics once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
It's not clear from the road maps but I think that the APU's with GCN in them will have a new socket, because they're also moving more system functions in to the chip.

I think for APU's AMD are trying to get SoC functionality onboard as much as possible, no need for any external chips. Plus they want to get to Steamroller cores, too
It was very cool when I once opened up my HP 32SII calculator and found only a single chip inside. Not so much as a stray diode lingering on the board. Someday opening up a laptop and finding the same thing would blow my mind. (not that I expect that anytime soon.)