Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

"

Old Feb 6, 2012, 02:34 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Location: Manches All hail king Dave, ruler of all Manchesville
JohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber
Default Android: Why do a lot of the apps and games have over the top permission requirements

I can understand why some apps may require location services or access to the camera if they obviously offer geo location or the app itself involves taking pictures of some form.

But why oh why does almost every other app or game I download have requirements that I think are over the top? Usually wanting access to the address book, personal information, coarse and fine location?

Am I being paranoid about this or is it a legitimate concern?

I was going to install blood and glory to test it out and then I saw the requirements.
JohnEJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:38 AM   #2
SteadVéx
Rage3D Veteran

SteadVéx is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEJohn View Post
I can understand why some apps may require location services or access to the camera if they obviously offer geo location or the app itself involves taking pictures of some form.

But why oh why does almost every other app or game I download have requirements that I think are over the top? Usually wanting access to the address book, personal information, coarse and fine location?

Am I being paranoid about this or is it a legitimate concern?

I was going to install blood and glory to test it out and then I saw the requirements.
I would assume the dev's take googles advice and mine as much data from their users as possible...

I'm pretty anti google mind so i would take my opinion with a pinch of salt, however... it does seem that android's app's take more data than other platforms

Although when I read stuff like this it also makes me think twice

http://paulsparrows.wordpress.com/20...are-full-list/

http://globalthreatcenter.com/?p=2492

It actually makes me ponder about all those years of me using win mo 5 through to 6.1 did i have anything on my phone in the background
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:56 PM   #3
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

A lot of apps use Analytics and/or advertising SDKs. These SDKs require additional permissions to provide better services...such as localized ads to the user (hence coarse/fine location).

Doesn't explain the phonebook permission though.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

LBE Privacy Guard - requires root

All your issues resolved
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:02 AM   #5
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Location: Manches All hail king Dave, ruler of all Manchesville
JohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

Thanks for the replies guys, really considering going root now having looked at LBE privacy guard.
JohnEJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEJohn View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, really considering going root now having looked at LBE privacy guard.
I'll check that out too, nice thread
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:40 AM   #7
TenFour
Rage3D Veteran

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

I'm an app developer. Although I always try to minimize permissions as much as possible, I have some ideas about why other developers use more than necessary.

I think coarse/fine location is usually used so they can show local ads. In Google's AdMob, you can optionally supply the user's location when requesting the next ad to show, which allows adMob to possibly serve local ads, instead of just global ones. Although "local" seems to be anything in a 400mile radius from what I've seen.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:20 AM   #8
SteadVéx
Rage3D Veteran

SteadVéx is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisti View Post

All your issues resolved
Thats pretty cool! shall be showing that to my friends who use android
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:55 PM   #9
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisti View Post

All your issues resolved
Any proof that it works? Not that long ago I read a review of a bunch of these kinds of apps that found that most of them didn't really do much of anything. BTW, what kind of permissions does LBE require and should we trust them more than anyone else?

My solution is to just not install an app if I am not happy with the permissions.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Tizen
Custom User Title

You can set permisions to Deny/Prompt/Allow

When set to Prompt a popup windows shows up asking you if you allow the app to temporarily access something. So it probably works.

If it's trustworthy? I sure hope so D:
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:42 PM   #11
FX-Overclocking
Rage3D Spammer

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I think a lot of app devs might be selling info somehow... is that possible? Why else would they want all that info that don't need?

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:59 AM   #12
Tizen
Custom User Title

Sure it's possible. The problem is with apps that do it in a way that if you deny a permision, it can no longer function properly, e.g. disabling data for SMS application which has access to your contacts list and lots of juice info. No data, no MMS messages.