Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Intel Matrix RAID - mutliple raid sets on same disks

Thought I'd share a quick couple of benchies, from my GA-EP35-DS3R. This board has the Intel ICH9R storage controller which allows you to create multiple RAID sets on the same disks. I have 6 SATA-II drives attached (4x300Gb and 2x250Gb, all Seagate 7200.9):

system is an overclocked X3210 quad core (3.0Ghz, speedstep enabled) with 4Gb DDR2-800, running Vista x64 ultimate SP1 (patched). All 6 disks are used in both arrays. The OS is installed on the first array, a raid 0 array, and the second array (raid5) is unformatted and both arrays have Write Back Cache enabled from the Matrix Storage Console, and write caching & advanced performance were selected in disk properties. Driver 8.2.0.1001 (dated 5/7/08) was used from install (loaded from USB stick).

250Gb Raid 0 array, HDTune read benchmark

~1Tb Raid 5 array, HDTune read benchmark

Start up time is 1min 15seconds - 35 seconds is the BIOS and controllers initliazing, up to the 'DMI pool verified message'. Shut down time is 16 seconds.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Jul 5, 2008 at 12:04 PM.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:44 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Backup from 250Gb R0 (44.1Gb used) partition to R5 partition using Acronis True Image Echo Workstation (full, high priority, maximum compression) took 20 minutes.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 01:02 PM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

HDtach benchmark:

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 6, 2008, 05:55 AM   #4
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwards

Hard Drive

Holy Crap! Nice benchies.

I'm jealous...
Dr. Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:50 AM   #5
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Reminds me of http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...highlight=RAID

My RAID 5 is faster than yours!
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:28 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

my minimum is higher than yours, and my burst is higher than yours; your max and sustained are only just higher
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:43 AM   #7
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
my minimum is higher than yours, and my burst is higher than yours; your max and sustained are only just higher
Well I can get it up more and do a better job at keeping it there. That's all that counts!

I think you whipped me on RAID 0.

plus we have different versions of the testing software

Last edited by guest : Jul 10, 2008 at 11:47 AM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:50 AM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

you're using newer drives than me too. Mine are all 7200.9
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Seems I have exact same MB options (see Specs) ....few Qs from a noob if you don't mind....

Which is better, the Intel Raid or Gigabyte Raid on these MBs? Pros/Cons? (Why did they even put 2 different raid options on 1 MB?)

Keeping my current dual boot setup untouched, I should simply be able to add 2 drives in Raid0 through bios with both winXP and Vista simply detecting it on boot, correct?

To make things easier, I assume I should install the Raid drivers in both Window version before shutting down, intalling HDs and enabling my Raid0 setup?

thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:07 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

They have two raids on the mobo because the Intel ICH9 only supports upto 6 sata ports. To have more than that you need a second controller, so they used their 'own', to add the extra two ports, plus you could have more flexibility with other SATA devices (such as eSATA and Optical drives).

If you added two more drives to run Raid 0, you have a couple of options - add them to a different controller than the one your existing drives are on, enabling the RAID mode for those ports and then installing the drivers in windows. If you wanted to use the same controller, then you'd need to uninstall the current driver and install the ICH9 raid driver, shutdown and install the drives, and on first boot enable the raid function in the bios. Then you'd need to setup the array, you could do this in windows I think.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:30 PM   #11
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Ok, cool. This will be my first Raid (besides the panty ones ) I've ever done.

Any feeling about which performs or functions better? Gigabyte or Intel?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:02 PM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Intel, more options later on if you want to expand etc., and while I haven't tested the Gigabyte raid, I don't recall anyone posting benchies close to Intel Matrix raid in a long time. nV raid used to be good, haven't tested it in a while though (and the drivers arent as stable as they once were).
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:17 PM   #13
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thanks Cave, got it up and running. Used the Gigabyte Controller cause it was free of drives and I didn't feel like messing around with driver stuff much.

Using these 2 drives in Raid0:
Maxtor 6L100M0 100GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA/150
HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 HDT722516DLA380 160GB 7200 8MB SATA 3.0Gb/s

I find it interesting that I get a 186GB drive from these 2 put together??

For compare:
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:09 PM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

good deal!

for the array size, the overhead of the array formatting does take up a little space, and as we all know 100gb on the box means less in windows, so after both the misnomers of labelling and the array config you get a little bit less drive space.

Enjoy! whatcha gonna do with it?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:07 PM   #15
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

About the same as mine, it`s also on the Graid controller with 2 old maxtor 100 Gig drives, just for comparison.

And just for the heck of it my newest seagate drive.

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 09:07 AM   #16
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
good deal!
<SNIP>
Enjoy! whatcha gonna do with it?
Since it's really not an uber fast Raid like yours or what I'd like, I plan to simply use it for my most recent played games and games that load lots like Oblivion or The Witcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post
About the same as mine, it`s also on the Graid controller with 2 old maxtor 100 Gig drives, just for comparison.
Ha, very nice, here I thought I was alone in my small quest for Raid greatness; indeed, very similar results. Quick but not even close to Caveman quick.

The i-RAM setup is what I really want. Wish they'd get off their butt and put out the new version already.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:20 PM   #17
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

I finally reformatted my pc and decided to make a raid array . I don't know if I'm going to keep it though, at least in raid 0 anyways. My disks have been making a strange noise lately so I'm sure they're going out. Guess I'd better replace them before this Windows install gets "lived in".

It's slow though . Well... faster than one drive. I finally got a 5.9 on my Vista disk score . Whoop dee do, right? Not anywhere near yours though jim. These are those two Seagate SATA II drives I got from you. Take a look at the burst speed... what's up with that? It's not a one time fluke it's that high every time.

Any tips on getting the average speed up?
Jokerzwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:31 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

That's the drive geometry at play, that's a pretty nice bench for just two disk

As far as getting noisy, don't worry about it too much - run the Seagate disc tools software to check it out if you're worried about it, but I think the Intel Matrix raid will report on SMART errors. You'll notice that the two drives you have match four of the six drives I have

The burst speed is because (AFAIK) the Intel matrix driver uses processor cache to improve speed. Thats why it benches so fast.

Do you have disk write caching and advanced performance enabled in the policy for the disk?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:36 PM   #19
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Do you have disk write caching and advanced performance enabled in the policy for the disk?
I tried but it says "this device does not allow its write cache setting to be modified". Wassup with that?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:42 PM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Run the iata82 setup with the -aonly switch, then manually install the raid driver and reboot. should allow you to enable it when you startup again.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:42 PM   #21
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

I fixed it, I had an old version (7.5) of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager installed. I installed the 8.2 version and now it works. Benchmarks are exactly the same though.

Oh, and here's my other raid setup on my son's pc. You gave me these drives too jim . They're Maxtor 80gb SATA 150's. Using a ULi raid setup. This setup is rock solid man... the kids beat the hell out of this thing every day and it's been going strong for prolly close to a year now. Never had so much as a reboot out of this pc.

Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:48 PM   #22
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

lol... my new flash drive

Awesome access time!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:30 PM   #23
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

thats fast for a flash drive! pick me up one next time your at walmart!
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:14 PM   #24
gramboh
Casual gamer

gramboh is still being judged by the masses

Nice post Jim,

Just wondering, with a mixed array setup like that (0 and 5), what happens if a drive fails? Are both arrays toast? I know with RAID 5 you can lose a 'disk', but with virtual arrays it seems like it would get complicated.

Regardless, I like those numbers. Would be nice to pick up 2x 7200.11 500GB's (or whatever the cheapest 7200.11's are) and RAID 0 them for OS/games, but I don't know if I want the heat/power draw of another 2 drives in my system.
1x Seagate 7200.11 1TB SATA2 + 1x Hitatchi 5K3000 3TB SATA3 (plus another two of same for offline eSATA backup)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer w/ Klipsch Promedia 4.1 and Sennheiser HD570
Antec P182B - Corsair 520HX PSU

Windows 7 Professional x64
3DMark Vantage: 22045 / 3DMark11: 4314

Netbook: Asus 1015PN (Atom 1.5GHz, 2GB DDR3, 250GB HDD, NVidia ION2, 10in LCD, Windows 7 Starter)
Now Playing - Battlefield 3, Super Meat Boy, The Witcher 2, SHIFT 2 Unleashed, Jamestown, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2
gramboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:44 PM   #25
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

If I were running raid 0 and raid 5 and lost a disk, the raid 0 array would be toast and the raid 5 array would be degraded. Adding a disk back I could rebuild the raid 5 array, but anything on the Raid 0 would need to be restored from backup or reinstalled. That's why I decided to remove both arrays and build a single 6 disk raid 5 array.