Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jan 25, 2008, 04:04 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default 8800GT and 3870 prices about the same on Google

May I ask why the prices on the 512MB versions of the 3870 And the 8800GT are just about equal when I search Google shopping? Am I not correct thinking that the 8800GT beats the 3870 in almost all the benchmarks? So why isn't it at least a good $30 cheaper or so? Not that the 3870 isn't a fine card, but who would pay the same price for a slightly limper card? Are we seeing price gouging on one side (3870) while theres flooding on the other (8800)?

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 07:33 AM   #2
BENCHMARKMAN
Radeon Caribbean Islands

BENCHMARKMAN is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
May I ask why the prices on the 512MB versions of the 3870 And the 8800GT are just about equal when I search Google shopping? Am I not correct thinking that the 8800GT beats the 3870 in almost all the benchmarks? So why isn't it at least a good $30 cheaper or so? Not that the 3870 isn't a fine card, but who would pay the same price for a slightly limper card? Are we seeing price gouging on one side (3870) while theres flooding on the other (8800)?
Because that is what AMD is selling it to manufactures at. Just because its slower than the 8800GT doesn't mean it costed less to produce or that it was cheaper R&D wise.
BENCHMARKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:03 AM   #3
metalfatigueca
Radeon R420

metalfatigueca is still being judged by the masses

it's still cheaper to get a 3870 in canada. for many people video playback is just as important as fps. so a trade of a few fps to gain better playback and hdmi out(vid and audio)is acceptable.

if video playback takes a backseat to those few extra frames, get the 8800gt.
metalfatigueca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:40 AM   #4
HonestJohn
More Brains

HonestJohn is still being judged by the masses

Just curious, why would you tell someone for a .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfatigueca View Post
few extra frames, get the 8800gt.
when you think ....

Quote:
metalfatigueca >
nice try but the g92 is gonna be known as the all time heat prone rma'd card in graphics history i'm sure.

As you previously said? Looking at your last several posts you don't seem to like the 8800GT very much. Why exactly do you keep it and why didn't you return it? Do you have the video playback quality issues you mentioned?
HonestJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:50 AM   #5
metalfatigueca
Radeon R420

you're just curious huh?

imagine that.

does the hdmi audio/video out add value to the 3870? does the gt have a faster framerate? yes or no?

i think i was pretty straightforward.

Last edited by metalfatigueca : Jan 25, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:01 AM   #6
HonestJohn
More Brains

Quote:
As far as pricing goes, now that the dust has settled a bit, the 8800GT is finally approaching the prices we all expected the card to be sold for in the first place. Also the introduction of the 8800GTS 512MB had something to do with it for sure. If you look at where the price of the GTS is now, it's about where the GT was a few months ago.

Regarding the HD3870, it was meant to compete with the 8800GT and it can in many respects and the HD3870 is just a step or two behind in most cases. Many people buy their cards based on other things besides performance however. Some prefer the Catalyst Control Center instead of Nvidia's Control Panel while some prefer Mermaids and Ogres to RedHeaded Vinyl-Clad Ass-kickers. So it's not always about the performance. Me? I can go both ways. For this round I went where the performance was. On the last round of cards, I chose the Ass-kicking Redhead and the 2900XT even with all the bad press the card had gotten.

Last edited by HonestJohn : Jan 25, 2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:04 AM   #7
HonestJohn
More Brains

Quote:
you're just curious huh?

imagine that.

does the hdmi audio/video out add value to the 3870? does the gt have a faster framerate? yes or no?

i think i was pretty straightforward.
I didn't argue that point and I totally agree with you, the HDMI Audio/Video out is a great feature of the 3870.

Back to my other question though which you didn't answer. I'm still curious. Why exactly do you keep the 8800GT and why didn't you return it when you seem to have such a low opinion of the card and virtually nothing good to say about it besides it's a few fps faster? Just trying to understand your mind set. Please don't take offense.

Last edited by HonestJohn : Jan 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:12 AM   #8
metalfatigueca
Radeon R420

er, i've said good things about the card as well. i call em like i see em. i'll talk smack about whatevr irks me. why did'nt i return the card? because i knew how to solve the problem for one. the other is i live a weeks worth of shipping from the retailer i bought it from. so thats one week to get there, however long to process my rma, then a weeks worth of shipping back. i'm not interested in having 2-3 weeks dowtime for an issue i can fix myself.

satisfactory?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:21 AM   #9
HonestJohn
More Brains

Quote:
satisfactory?
Very much so and thanks for sharing your experience.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:37 PM   #10
fivefeet8
Radeon R200

fivefeet8 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
if video playback takes a backseat to those few extra frames, get the 8800gt.
Unless there is a huge difference between the video playback capabilities of either cards with video's you'll be playing, it takes a back seat to gaming performance.
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:10 PM   #11
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
at the time when I was posting in the thread I created for 3870 for $229, 8800 gt was going for $280+.
there was about 50-70 bucks difference at that time.
and clubit did even sell 3870 for $209 as well which made it even cheaper.

and since ATi managed to sell a lot of 3870s because 8800gt was more expensive, they probably didn't need to lower the prices on 3870.
thus now they are about equal.

it is very simple if you think it that way.

by the way,I reached to 5000 posts..... wow.
and I don't even post that much lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC

Last edited by nomore : Jan 25, 2008 at 01:13 PM.
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:14 PM   #12
HonestJohn
More Brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
at the time when I was posting in the thread I created for 3870 for $229, 8800 gt was going for $280+.
there was about 50-70 bucks difference at that time.
and clubit did even sell 3870 for $209 as well which made it even cheaper.

and since ATi managed to sell a lot of 3870s because 8800gt was more expensive, they probably didn't need to lower the prices on 3870.
thus now they are about equal.
This was your 5000th Post. Where do I send the Keg of Beer ...
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:28 PM   #13
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestJohn View Post
This was your 5000th Post. Where do I send the Keg of Beer ...
right into my mouth please.!
Quote:
Old Jan 25, 2008, 05:10 PM   #14
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
right into my mouth please.!
Along with everything else!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 06:29 PM   #15
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Because the x2 is on it's way, Nvidia is slashing prices so they don't get sandwiched too much. ATi will respond back. The game plan is to have a nice gap and the flexibility in cost of the RV670 allows them to do this.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:16 PM   #16
HonestJohn
More Brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Along with everything else!
Glad you said it, instead of me. I think you should report yourself.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:21 PM   #17
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestJohn View Post
Glad you said it, instead of me. I think you should report yourself.
He knows I kid because I love, right nomore?

yoz
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:18 PM   #18
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
He knows I kid because I love, right nomore?
yes, I do know that.
and that is why only you are allowed to make those kinda jokes.
or you are the only one that can get away with it. hehe
Quote:
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:43 AM   #19
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
yes, I do know that.
and that is why only you are allowed to make those kinda jokes.
or you are the only one that can get away with it. hehe

yoz