Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected] project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Oct 16, 2019, 03:23 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
jima13
Retired

jima13 is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home Slowdowns?

Noticed a drop in my production a few weeks back. Was checking some systems and noticed gpu's sitting on ready, and while rebooting got them working again it didn't stick so now I get to babysit them more than I'd like...at least the 2080ti is finally putting out what I bought it for. I'll be moving it to my new gaming system shortly
jima13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2019, 12:33 PM   #2
absolutefunk
Insert witty remark here

absolutefunk is still being judged by the masses

There are a couple of servers hosted at Temple which seem to have intermittent network problems. I was also having issues with my GPU slots hanging at WU download up until last week.

AXP-M 2400+ AQYHA; [email protected]
Asus A7N8X-E 1012 trats cpc=on
Crucial 1024mb PC3200; [email protected] (3-3-3-8)
Thermalright SP97 /w Delta 80mm
1X WD 2500JD
1X WD 600BB
Antec P160 /w TruePower 430w
ATi Radeon AIW 9800pro
Adaptec 2490uw SCSI /w 2x Plextor CD/CD-R

Folding @ Home: the only useful way to use that extra CPU... and possible GPU... time!!
absolutefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 09:42 AM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

[email protected]?

Is this a consistent issue? Just rejoined the effort yesterday, so my data range is obviously very limited, but logged into the home Ryzen / Fury rig to see both CPU & GPU sitting idle.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:12 PM   #4
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

Slow here as well. If I let it sit it will go hours without downloading a WU.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 03:40 PM   #5
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quite possibly unrelated, but when I closed down and restarted the client instead of pausing / unpausing it pulled new WUs.

edit: yeah, random. PC here is playing the waiting game, and no level of prompting makes a difference.

Last edited by Lupine : Mar 18, 2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 05:36 PM   #6
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

Yeah, I have to babysit the client to keep it from sitting idle which so far has been pretty easy since I'm working from for the foreseeable future. It seems like there are narrow windows where the servers are up and able to issue WUs and if the client misses the window it just sits idle all day with some absurd long timeout. According to the official [email protected] twitter things should get better in the coming days as more server capacity is brought online. The WUs are there you just have to catch the server at the right time.
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 06:26 PM   #7
jima13
Retired

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
[email protected]?

Is this a consistent issue? Just rejoined the effort yesterday, so my data range is obviously very limited, but logged into the home Ryzen / Fury rig to see both CPU & GPU sitting idle.
Yep, that's all happening. A post on the Fah forums is trying to explain it...the combination of new servers coming online and wu's being uploaded plus the number of new folders thanks to CV caused an overload? shortage?....I wish there was a way to limit the retrys to something like 30 min. max as I see next try in 5 hrs ...unless I reboot, and my hdd already sounds like a machine gun
Old Mar 18, 2020, 08:36 PM   #8
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima13 View Post
my hdd already sounds like a machine gun
HDD? Arcane wizardry afoot!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:56 AM   #9
jima13
Retired

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
HDD? Arcane wizardry afoot!
Yep, relegated to using the storage drive when the Samsung EVO died

I have all the parts for another system, Ryzen 7 3700, x570, 2 Corsair 1tb MP600 M.2 NVMe...will move a 2080ti I have in a office system to the new gaming rig and I'll split the 2 1080ti in this rig...when all is done it will be 2080ti, 3 1080ti in seperate systems and my garage rig with 2 980ti... I know
Old Mar 23, 2020, 03:38 PM   #10
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Turbo_Rage3d_ is still being judged by the masses

I've been having the same problem getting WUs for my GPUs. I decided to start folding on my 3900x and it's pulling WUs consistantly.

Hope they get it sorted out soon. I miss the ppd I was getting with my 5700xt , gtx 1070, & 5700 (flashed to an xt).

Thankfully I'm not seeing any errors on any of the cards, just not get WUs consistantly at all, even killing [email protected] in task manger & restarting. It will get better soon I'm sure.
Turbo_Rage3d_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2020, 03:40 PM   #11
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Rage3d_ View Post
I've been having the same problem getting WUs for my GPUs. I decided to start folding on my 3900x and it's pulling WUs consistantly.

Hope they get it sorted out soon. I miss the ppd I was getting with my 5700xt , gtx 1070, & 5700 (flashed to an xt).

Thankfully I'm not seeing any errors on any of the cards, just not get WUs consistantly at all, even killing [email protected] in task manger & restarting. It will get better soon I'm sure.
After I posted this I decided to log into my main rig at home and finally it got a WU!! Woooohoooooo!! LOL
Old Mar 23, 2020, 06:17 PM   #12
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

And now I'm home, and on attempt 10 to get a WU.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 07:35 PM   #13
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

I think my system crunched six WU all day. It's been really dry.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 03:29 PM   #14
konjini
Radeon Northern Islands

konjini is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc014 View Post
That's Amazon Web Services Elastic Compute Cloud! They're probably devoting spare capacity on their cloud infrastructure to folding.

And that probably explains why I'm getting no GPU WUs again.
https://twitter.com/iMMRufen/status/...679334918?s=19

Make them work!

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk
konjini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #15
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

I don't know if anyone is experiencing point loss, but I'm getting about a 25% success rate of successful WUs complete actually adding to my score.

Third, for all the people that have been emailing me complaining where are their points and what's going on. Let me be clear: I am in no way affiliated with Bowman Lab, Washington University, or the official [email protected] project. I'm just a regular guy like all of you, and I get all my information from all the same public resources. Sorry but I can't do anything about missing points, server problems, or any of that stuff.

After I updated my laptop's drivers, it's been cruising along at 350k PPD but my daily average is 220k? Also my desktop is sporadically producing 40 - 90k GPU WUs and 2k - 30k CPU WUs? 1.2M PPD if I let it run continuously?

I should be averaging about 800k PPD. I just had a big 200k point upload success between the two computers 90 minutes before the next "run" and I got a whopping 0 for that segment.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #16
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
I don't know if anyone is experiencing point loss, but I'm getting about a 25% success rate of successful WUs complete actually adding to my score.

Third, for all the people that have been emailing me complaining where are their points and what's going on. Let me be clear: I am in no way affiliated with Bowman Lab, Washington University, or the official [email protected] project. I'm just a regular guy like all of you, and I get all my information from all the same public resources. Sorry but I can't do anything about missing points, server problems, or any of that stuff.

After I updated my laptop's drivers, it's been cruising along at 350k PPD but my daily average is 220k? Also my desktop is sporadically producing 40 - 90k GPU WUs and 2k - 30k CPU WUs? 1.2M PPD if I let it run continuously?

I should be averaging about 800k PPD. I just had a big 200k point upload success between the two computers 90 minutes before the next "run" and I got a whopping 0 for that segment.
I am missing points too, according to my stats on EXTREME Overclocking. Is that what you are looking at? This is what the developer of the site had to say yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME Overclocking Home Page
It looks like the [email protected] servers have been getting hit pretty hard these past couple days. When things get overloaded, the stats feed become the low priority on the update list (hence, all the 0 updates). Rest assured, any WUs you send back to the servers are safe and will get processed eventually, just please be patient! The [email protected] team has been diligently bringing more servers online, but I think there are so many idle clients out there it still far exceeds all the new capacity.
Take at look at your stats on the [email protected] website. It says that you have 5,306,055 points from 4,262 WUs. Does that look better?

With that being said, however, I could swear that I should have more points in the official [email protected] stats too. Maybe the credit is simply getting lost.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #17
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

I will say that it does look better, but that's the exception, not the rule. Usually the EOC score is higher. Crazy stuff going on. Almost as crazy as our economy flatlining to unsuccessfully slow the virus.
Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM   #18
jima13
Retired

Stats servers are a bit lower on the priority chain, but they'll eventually catch up and you will see a big dump....well, usually