Jul 27, 2010, 03:44 PM
Deposed King of Rage3D
Join Date: Oct 2003
I'll jump on this dog pile, too:
- If I'm having problems and I suspect it's because of driver install issues, what should I do?
This is what the Caveman does for Driver freshness. You'll need two free tools - CCleaner and DriverSweeper. You'll also need to know how to reboot into safe mode, and to be able to use 'common sense'.
- Disable Eyefinity groups, Crossfire, if enabled
- Optional - Enter Device Manager: Uninstall Display Adapters and check box for 'Delete Device Driver'
- Add/Remove Programs: Remove currently installed Application Profile updates (if installed)
- Uninstall CCC and Display Driver, using Catalyst Install Manager Custom mode (Don't express uninstall if you have an AMD Chipset)
- Reboot into safe mode
- Run Driver Sweeper for ATI, don't reboot. [Do not remove entries pointing to WinSxs folders]
- Run CCleaner for Registry - only select for removal ATI entries (click on Registry button on left, Analyze, then only remove Entries listed for ATI).
- Delete the following folders (applies to Vista/7)
- Reboot to desktop, run Express install on desired Catalyst driver & reboot if prompted.
- Install all Application Profiles newer than Driver release (i.e. 10.3whql/a/b would use both March & April profile updates).
Last edited by caveman-jim : Feb 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Reason: added new directories to delete