View Single Post
Old Dec 7, 2019, 02:15 PM   #425
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Here's my basic perspective when it comes to anything new with Star Wars:

(1) I endured the Holiday Special
(2) then I endured the Ewoks, including two TV movies
(3) then I endured the "Special" Editions
(4) then I endured the mixed bag of the Prequels
(5) then I endured the one viewing each of Farce Awakens and Least Jedi.

Thats over 40 years of enduring crap. Despite all that poodoo there's a lot to love, and that's why we are fans.

In (1) there was the cartoon where we were introduced to Mandalorians, including Boba Fett. Not accidentally, the Mandalorian of the TV show is that Mandalorian we saw, other than his name. He is that character in all but name, but here we're seeing him grow as a person and character. That's pretty darn cool, IMO.

In (2), well they're Ewoks. I don't like them. Only watched them once and that was because they were something Star Wars when there was nothing but the original trilogy and a few Han Solo and Lando books, which I read.

In (3), well they were our favorite movies back on the big screen and we could go see them with our friends. Again, these were the only new non-printed material we had besides the OT, and this was pre-DVD. Laserdisc was rare and very expensive and then there was VHS, non-widescreen.

In (4) there was a whole new trilogy!! We got Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, the Jedi Council, the Old Republic, Darth Sidious, and the political intrigue we read about way back in '76 or '77 in the Prologue of Episode IV's novelization, plus the clone wars. Plus various neat things here and there. It also brought us the original Clone Wars cartoon series, which was excellent.

With (5), they don't exist. I don't know what you're talking about.

With the Mandalorian, we have a Western set in SW universe, following around basically the guy we saw way back in the Holiday Special.

Find the good where you can, and leave the rest, because *if* there's anything good to be found, it's always going to be a mixed bag.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote