View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
HunterZ

HunterZ is still being judged by the masses

Default Black/grey/gray/white dots/pixels/boxes

I have a 9700 Pro and am running the 3.10 WHQL Catalyst drivers, WinXP SP1, DX 9.0b. My mobo is an MSI KT4V w/VIA 4-in-1 4.49 and I'm running at AGP 4x for stability reasons. I do *NOT* have the card overclocked in any way! (I'm running at the default 324 core and 310.50 RAM clock rates) I am using the stock cooler on the video card. I also have my computer's case open, so I don't think there are any heat issues (at least not ones that are my fault).

My issue is this: In most applications that use pixel shaders (e.g. Knights of the Old Republic, Deus Ex: Invisible War, 3DMark03 Battle of Proxycon and Troll's Lair tests) I see small stray black boxes, grey dots, or white pixels everywhere. It's really annoying and obviously some kind of artifact that is being produced by the hardware on my video card.

Is this normal for these cards to produce the artifcats I'm describing under the conditions I'm describing? I've seen a few people suggest that maybe it's a video RAM overheating issue, but why would this be happening if I'm not overclocking?