View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:32 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
animekenji
Radeon R200

animekenji is still being judged by the masses

For anyone who doesn't already know or found this thread in a Google search, the Rage Fury MAXX card CANNOT be used in AFR mode with Win2K/XP. It's not an ATi driver issue, it's the way that NT5 based OS's handle drivers. Trying to get these to work in AFR mode would require a complete rewrite of the way Windows 2k/XP handles drivers. Win 9x/ME OS's allow the switching between the two GPU's on the AGP bus but 2k/XP do not. The best you're going to do with the MAXX on these Windows versions is single GPU operation which means a huge performance hit. You may as well go with an early GeForce or Radeon for your vintage 2k/XP gaming rig and put the MAXX in a 9x based machine that can use it because you probably won't like how your games perform with a single Rage 128 Pro. (I'm assuming higher performance is the reason you bought the MAXX in the first place, right?) I post this information here because from time to time I still see people who recently acquired one of these cards asking the question about getting it to work under 2k/XP and the short answer is that you can't, not as a dual GPU card at least, and if you're going to run it as a single GPU card, there's better alternatives available that will run your older games faster under 2k/XP.

Last edited by animekenji : Jun 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
animekenji is offline   Reply With Quote