Thread: Endless Space
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2012, 01:33 PM   #7
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I took a look around for info on this game and ended up buying it... I like it so far. Definitely not a finished game as there are a handful of bugs and things that seem out of place in an otherwise polished product (way more than I'd expect for an alpha, in terms of content and polish), but its good for the couple hours I've played.

For me the game is very reminiscent of Master of Orion, so if you're into that sort of turn based empire building space opera thing, then it should be right up your alley. The graphics are good and UI/controls are pretty fluid. The tech tree is complete, but it's been difficult for me to really grasp how technology should progress, since you can only research one thing at a time and there are four branching trees. The combat thing is interesting, but I'm not sure I really know how to use the cards properly yet.

A lot of the game mechanics are still a little unfamiliar, and maybe some things will still be fleshed out. From what I can tell, there is a game's worth of content already there, but there is some improvements to be made for notifications, automation, additional information placement, skipping of certain combat phases, etc that I hope to see in the coming months.

A word on the combat though, it's not really turn based. It's sort of a restricted input style - you don't get control over where ships go, what they shoot at, and there isn't a retreat button (I think it needs one), but you do influence the fight by picking 'cards' which are basically tactics or abilities to use in different phases of the fight. Phases are broken down by range, (long, med, short) where different kinds of weapons are most effective and choosing a 'card' that counters the opponents kills any bonuses they would otherwise get for it. So combat isn't turn based, it's just more of a cinematic with limited user interaction. There is an arrival and final stage, but you don't attack or play cards during them.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64

HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote