Thread: Navi Reviews
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2019, 06:45 PM   #59
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Nobody should buy a 2000 series card based on DLSS. But when it's implemented properly (Metro Exodus), its superior to any sharpening filter. Because it isn't a sharpening filter. A sharpening filter won't magically add in texture detail because all it's doing is sharpening. The idea behind super resolution image processing is to take a lower resolution image and produce a near identical higher resolution image. This isn't new, this kind of image processing existed for years (medical, satellite, photography), requiring machine learning as well. Nvidia calls their version DLSS, they're the first to bring it to gaming. Metro Exodus does this well and even Hardware Unboxed, who love to crap on Nvidia, had to admit the DLSS image looked better vs RIS but then went on to complain about DLSS performance (which doesn't matter with a 2080Ti).

Lastly, If you really want to discuss this further there's another thread for that in the other graphics card section.
Eh.. don't really want to discuss it further since my opinion is DLSS is largely worthless (too much effort, for too little pay off), and I don't even care enough to argue about it. We're obviously not going to agree so what's the point of even saying anything more about it?

The one thing I'll say about RIS, is that at least it's a straightforward implementation that should pretty much work with every game out of the box. I doubt I'd ever use it either, myself. (For that matter, since I now have a G-sync monitor I'm "locked in" to Nvidia so it's kind of a moot point anyway. )
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote