View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2011, 03:52 PM   #139
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Bandwidth? I'd rather spend a few minutes copying over media rather than letting it run for an hour across WiFi (been there, done that and hate it). The technology is available, why not use it? It's not like only the rich can afford USB ports. I see no reason not to offer the capability. As OverclockN mentioned, using either USB or memory cards is a much quicker approach to migrating data between the two devices.
I think we're getting our wires crossed here. If you rip media to a portable format, you have that on a PC. Why not plug the tablet into that PC to move it over, right? Having no USB port on the tab in this case makes no difference.

And I don't know what's wrong with your wifi, 350-700MB files copy pretty fast for me (1-2 minutes). With mobile formats being smaller than standard rips, it'd be even quicker.

Quote:
I don't actually keep movies on my home network, and don't intend to. I rip movies only for traveling and only the ones I plan to watch for that trip (I currently use a Viewsconic VPD400 for this). After the trip, the movies are removed. I already have a wall with the physical copy of the movie, so storing it digitally is a waste for my use case.
Then I still don't see what having a USB port on your tab does for you while you're on the road. If you've already ripped at home, transfered to your tab, you should be good to go. Unless you mean you're bringing both devices (the VPD400 AND a tab) in which case your portability case makes me

Quote:
My need is to be able to use my media when WiFi is not available or reliable. I'm not going to use media through the device when I'm inside my household. I don't need it when I'm sitting in a bar. If I'm playing with a tablet in a bar, I obviously need a different kind of help.

Being able to move, alter, manipulate media on a tablet quickly and easily is one of my needs. It may not be yours, which is ok, but it is one of mine. I will not buy a tablet which either does not have a USB port or can take memory cards. I would prefer support for memory cards, but either one would allow the use I expect for my needs.
Like I said, I agree that external mem cards would be good for expansion. I still don't see how having a USB port changes what you do unless you don't want to keep your media on the tablet and on a USB device for some reason.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote