View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:21 PM   #25
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
So in 20 years intel couldnt get the talent or the money to do a proper gpu? Its the IP they dont have. So unless either nvidia (we know they havent) or amd sells them a rich IP license they wont be able to produce a gpu imo.

But my take is AMD is or soon will give them enough IP to work from. Its why Raja went to intel he has experience with amd ip.

Question is what did amd get for this. I mean in a normal high tech world non compete contracts would prevent your top gpu guy from going to work for the competition...
No...

What will happen is this:

1.) Raja starts early December.

2.) Intel probably already has a discrete GPU in house ala something like the Larabee again that its been sitting on. Not ready for prime time that Raja can tweak, etc etc.

3.) Over the next year you will see a mass exodus from RTG going towards Intel.

4.) Within 2 years possibly 3 you will see a discrete GPU released by Intel.

That is unless AMD sues them by finding some loop hole in the licensing agreement with the GPU+CPU agreement they have now with Intel. This is where the do no compete clause comes in.

AMD licenses its mobility GPU to Intel, Intel pilfers the RTG team, AMD sues for damages because you know there will be a conflict of interest or accusations of stolen tech/patents ( think of Carmack/ID/Occulus fiasco ).

Worst case for AMD they are forced to sell the Graphics division to Intel who has deep coffers and money to spend on R&D. Then we won't get trash like Polaris and Vega.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote