Thread: Samsung S9
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2018, 08:22 AM   #86
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Here are my impressions so far.

Pros:
Android has come a long way since whatever version was on the Note 3. It's much snappier and more stable.
The ability to configure/customize just about everything has always been Android's strongest suit. iOS is severely lacking in that area. It's refreshing to go back to Android after all these years.
The S9+'s screen is sweet and sexy. The curved screen is a nice touch.
It's fast, but I don't do benchmarks so I can't say if it's any faster than the iPhone 8+.
The camera is incrementally better than the iPhone. The dual aperture is nice.
The fingerprint button is perfectly placed on the back. I don't miss the front-facing home/fingerprint button at all.
The two front-firing speakers (one at the top of the screen, one at the bottom) give a nice stereo feel vs the iPhones two bottom-firing ones. The sound is clear and strong.
Samsung's Android launcher is much improved, with fewer useless bloatware apps.
Face recognition to unlock the phone is sweet. Yes, I know the iPhone X has that, but not the 8/8+.
The 8mm headphone jack! Oh how I've missed thee...

Cons
Bixby is as dumb as a box of rocks. Siri is far from perfect, but she trounces Bixby.
Out of the box, the screen is set to FHD+ (2220x1080) to save battery life. You can up it to WQHD+ (2960x1440) but it's a pretty big battery hit. Either way it's crisp and clear. I went back to FHD+ because of the battery drain.
The jury is still out on the overall battery life compared to the iPhone 8+. Neither lasts more than a few hours if you do a lot of surfing on game playing.
The earbuds that come with the S9+ are subpar. I ended up buying different ones.

Overall my impression is that the S9+ hardware isn't much faster than the iPhone 8+. If it hadn't been free, I wouldn't have crossgraded. But I'm glad I did. I missed Android.
Thanks for the feedback! Android has come leaps and bounds for sure. I don't think I could go back to Apple after having Oreo on my PH1.

I'd use google instead of Bixby, mainly because I've heard all about lol, but I'll post if I up/side grade myself. It just looks too sweet not to, and I'm weak