View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:31 PM   #62
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot View Post
I take back what i said about that suck ass AMD utility. Do NOT use it even if all you have is an amd video card. I ran it in safe mode, after uninstalling video drivers, and it killed all usb ports on the pc. Never had an issue with the older version but i ended up having to clean install all his **** and bought him driverfusion to avoid this crap again
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltC View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you run it in safe mode (and I sure don't understand the reasoning behind manually uninstalling your drivers and *then* running the AMD driver uninstall utility)? I understood that the uninstall utility is designed to be run under a normal boot, and when you boot into safe mode your *device drivers* generally aren't loaded (unless you opt to load your network/Ethernet driver.)

Yea, run it in safe mode and it will take out your installed drivers in places I'm sure--but they won't be the ones you want to get rid of, necessarily (because you are in safe mode.) It seems to me the entire purpose of the uninstaller program is so that you can remove everything AMD without having to resort to safe mode and all of the other crap that we used to do years ago...

Engaged under a normal boot (which I think is the only correct way to use the program), the program worked perfectly for me and did just what it was supposed to do and nothing else. The AMD driver uninstall utility is not a "cleanup program" like many others, it's not a "uninstall your drivers first and then run this program to clean up the residue" program--it is a *driver uninstall utility* that, when used correctly, eliminates any need for a so-called clean-up program, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot View Post
I never run anything like it if not in safe mode, I don't think any app can remove stuff that is in use. But tbh i always thought of it as a clean up utility and it always removed crap left over from a normal uninstall.
But for shits and giggles i ran it on mine, in regular windows mode, and behold my usb ports also stopped functioning as well. We both have z77 boards so I am sure something is going on here with intel drivers
that utility is dangerous and didn't get serious and extended testing. I've been using it more than once in the past two years without any issue. Last week, on a fresh windows install and used as advertised it made my system completely inaccessible. For the first time in maybe 20 years I was forced to reinstall the OS due to a third-party tool acting unexpectedly. This doesn't mean it will mess up everyone's system, but from the few episodes I've read in this thread and after my experience, I believe I have sufficient reasons to avoid it like the plague from now on.

As for these latest betas, Thief performance with Mantle is totally unpredictable (smooth gameplay followed by sudden hitches and stutters when entering a new level) and independent from game settings, not to mention that it can't run with Crossfire enabled, so the only way to run Thief smooth and stable for me is again and still DirectX + single GPU.
Considering the "official" Crossfire bugs these drivers are still dragging behind with them, I can safely say this release sucks major butthole.

Last edited by Lurk : Mar 24, 2014 at 01:44 PM.
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote