View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2018, 06:49 PM   #7
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
I have no knowledge of how DNS works other than it translates the web site’s name into an actual numeric Internet address, but I don't understand how it can be a DNS issue if it works fine with Edge, but not Chrome. If it was a DNS issue, wouldn't it effect BOTH browsers and not just Chrome, since it would be sending the exact same web address translation to both browsers?
Whoops, didn't notice he used his ISP dns on chrome, just edge. In this case, there is most likely a problem with his dns cache in chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
I'm currently using it with DNScrypt on my router. Is this the best way to use it on a router? I'm guessing if setup in WAN or LAN DNS the lookup will be unencrypted. Would it be redundant to setup to use over TLS or Https?
How do you set it up to use DNS over TLS and HTTPS? Is this something I need to set up for every client?
DNS encryption via the router will be the best way to go as requests from all devices on the network that use the router for DNS will be protected. I say will be, since DNS over TLS or HTTPS isn't currently supported in just about any router. DNScrypt and DNSSEC are quite capable, but TLS and HTTPS is the endgame, as it will hide that you are even making a DNS query.

Setting up DNS over TLS or HTTPS through the browser is a relatively new thing, but I think Firefox 62 now supports it via manual configuration. This will also not be redundant, as this will bypass your router being the DNS, but for the time being until your router supports it, this will have to be configured on every capable client.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote