Thread: Navi
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2018, 08:30 PM   #62
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Honestly, AMD is OK at the moment. As long as their cards continue to sell as a result of cryptocurrency...

As for gaming, marketshare has taken a nose dive because most people can't even find an AMD GPU for the price/performance of an Nvidia counterpart.

This hurts AMD in the software side of things. Badly.

So, AMD needs to make a decision. Large short term gain at the cost of long term stability or Long term stability with a medium short term gain?

As for Vega just "sampling"... Yep. But Global Foundries has been doing high risk production of 7nm silicon since July of 2017. We are now entering "Risk Mass Production" where they are ramping up to mass production with moderate yields. So, I expect that Vega 7nm will see a pro card like the Frontier Edition come out in early-mid 4Q 2018.

If 7nm yields were higher, I'd say sooner, so if GloFo can get yields to rapidly improve.. 7nm Vega gaming cards might see the light of day 2H 2018. If not, they may as well not release a 7nm Vega card and just hold till Navi.
They aren't selling because of Pyramid Currency. AMD's yields are low and the little supply that does come out isn't enough to stock shelves with.

EDIT:

Let me rephrase that, its not that yields are low its that the GPU and HBM2 can not be supplie in proper quantity.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote