View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Well, I'll provide some advice and you can decide if it's useful or not...

In general, sim racing will just never have all of the sensations you get inside of a real car. There are some options to increase the sensations you do get, but they are not cheap and most people aren't going to invest that type of money. I would wager you are likely in that camp. Not that I don't think you 'have' the money, it's just that 'those people' are usually asking these types of questions on dedicated sim racing forum.

With that, there are two things you can control and what affects what you 'feel' when sim driving:
  • The gear you use
  • The sim you use

Both of these will play a big roll in what you feel through the FFB. FFB in general, provides false sensations through the gaming wheel. What I mean by false is that those sensations don't come through a real car's wheel. If it did, we would all jump out of cars thinking something was going to break! We use FFB to try to provide what we can't get by sitting in our houses. Some wheels do it better than others. If you are expecting to pay $150 for a wheel/pedal setup and expect to have life-like experiences, that just isn't going to happen.

With that, you never said what gear you were using. Which wheel/pedal setup are you using?

Similarly, the sim you use will have a big roll in how the feel is.. Unfortunately, the one you are trying to use now has some of the less immersive FFB. I don't have that version, but I do have F1 2019 and it's pretty dead as far as FFB goes. There isn't much communication you get from it compared to other titles. If you are looking to improve your real life driving by the use of sims, I would recommend getting Project CARS 2 and/or Assetto Corsa (standard, not Competizione). Both of those have much better FFB than the Codemaster F1 titles, and they also have street cars which will be able to translate better to real life driving.

If you want to look into getting more immersion in sim racing, the following things can be ideas:

* Cockpit/sim rig

Having a setup that emulates sitting in a car really helps with immersion while sim racing. The downside is that they don't look all that attractive in a house and take up a lot of room.

* Tactile devices (shakers)

Getting tactile feedback helps a lot in immersion and feel when sim racing. It's a little easier to add them when using a sim rig but you can add them to office chairs as well.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad