View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
orion24
Radeon R200

orion24 is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation What goes around, comes around (old product support)

Supporting older products costs some money to the company, but if they think that by not doing so they don't loose customers, they have to think again.

This is my story:

In Q4 2006, I friend of mine wanted suggestions for a new PC. I suggested, video card wise, the X1950XT 256 MB, liking its price/performance ratio at the time. He was happy with it until now.

Now, he is buying a new PC again and wants the same. Meantime he sent me his old PC in order to refresh it with a format/reinstallation of OS and of new games as well. I did that and noticed:

- Lastest official driver for the X1950XT 256MB (all OS) is the 10.2 dated 24 Feb 2010 and NOT WHQL!

Whatever, I said, as long as it works fine, it doesn't matter. I went on installing the games and here we go: TIMESHIFT & NEED FOR SPEED HOT PURSUIT NOT WORKING. Timeshift works in 32-bit XP, but not in 64-bit. Need for Speed does not work even in 32-bit. NVIDIA cards of that time (7900-7950GT) are still having driver support and the last one is dated at October 2010 and is WHQL. And the games are working.

Uppon hearing this he is now unhappy with ATI and for his new PC, he said the video card will be one from NVIDIA.
orion24 is offline   Reply With Quote