View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2019, 06:47 PM   #63
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziklitschli View Post
Ok then, why not disable downgrades like camera motion blur and depth of field (which can be really blury with TAAs heh) or CA (which actualy has the perf cost heh) to be able to turn on sgssaa x2.
I do turn off motion blur. And chromatic abberation. I hate those with a passion. Neither will free up any frames to offset a 30% to 50% performance loss at 4k resolution. And what you got against depth of field? It's a cool ass effect in cool ass games, yo.

Quote:

In modern games half the graphics menu is to be disabled anyway, super vignettes, lens dirts, chromatic vomit etc.
Those effects are negligble and personal preference, with barely an impact on performance.

Quote:

Yes I'm telling you that 5 sec download and 3 seconds unrar can bring you much better IQ in some games, not all ofc as that depends on engine, compatibility flag and nature of the graphics presented ofc but still, why the f not.
That's fine and dandy, but I'm also telling you you don't need Nv inspector to enable SSAA, and certainly downloading NV inspector just to enable an SSAA variation that is barely negligle from standard at the resolution most of us play (1440p and higher) just doesnt make much sense for most. Maybe at 1080p then the SSAA modes become more important, but I can't see anyone playing at 1440p, 1440p widescreen, or 4k caring about that.

Quote:

Yes TAA is good at resolving aliasing, the price is as I said blur and ghosting that you have to then sharpen. No sharpening is artifact free, and that filter, as I've just read, costs performance, a little but still sounds a bit backwards heh.
By nature TAA will blur but that is easily resolved with a sharpening filter. TAA will do a better job at removing jaggies and shimmering than plain old SSAA, and without the large performance cost. TAA works best at high resolution.

What is this ghosting you are referring to? I've never witnessed any kind of ghosting in any game I used TAA with. That includes Far Cry 5 and more recently Red Dead Redemption 2.

Quote:

On 65' 4k? How far do you sit from that screen?
4 - 5 feet.

Quote:
In Wildlands, with TAA and slightest sharpen (like 10% or sth when the defaut was I think 50 or sth) the drop in quality from sharpening was visible on 24" qhd screen, 40" full hd screen supersampled x4 and 43" 4k screen, sitting slightly below 2m away from the TVs (recommended distance) and over 1m from the monitor (too far). Granted, this tool might be much superior but again, no miracles.
There's no artifacting with Freestyle (or RIS) if you stay within reasonable limits (up to 50% sharpening).

You never tried Freestyle? Then you must watch Hardware Unboxed latest video on Freestyle/RIS. If you own a Nvidia GPU the tool is a must if you downscale.

Quote:

You must have had msaa turned on as well in the menu, 2x2 alone will not eliminate jaggies to perfection like you describe it on 65" 4k
Do you have a 4k screen? Then turn on 2x SSAA in Serious Sam 3 at that resolution and let me know how that looks to you. Was perfect for me, better than the default MSAA and FXAA options. SSAA works very well in this game and I didnt need to download NV Inspector to use it.

Quote:
has the pixel pitch of, simplest to describe, 32.5" 1080p screen.

Ofc, sitting far enough will eliminate all aliasing in the world heh. Or, you're just not that much sensitive to IQ, or particularly to aliasing, shimmer etc.
If you're trying to say that by pixel pitch alone that a 65 inch 4k screen has the same visual fidelity as a 32" 1080p screen then I'm afraid you've discredited your entire argument, because that's absurd. Plenty of others here with a big screen at 4k that will tell you otherwise. I myself have a 27 inch 1080p office screen and my 65" 4k LG has far better pixel clarity at 4-5 feet running the same game. My favorite example is Witcher 3 gwent cards. So much more razor sharp details in the card backgrounds that you can see at 4k that is simply not visible at 1080p.

Quote:

I mean, not long ago you (at least afair it was you) were claiming that DLSS is almost (90% or sth) like native 4k and here we have this guys claiming that even this nV sharpen filter beats it at 0,7 of 4k res, even in Metro:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1903...estyle-vs-ris/
And I still maintain that, because it's pretty much true as countless 4k comparisons have shown with Metro. Whether or not Freestyle beats it is another argument, but that just goes to show the Freestyle / RIS methods aren't just sharpening the picture like the sharpening wheel on your monitor, it's an algorithmic method that is efficient and effective, which is why its good to use it when downsampling. Doesn't beat native 4k though, I'll always maintain that.

Quote:

Not saying this to fire you up, just maybe that's it and good for you if so, I'd be a happier and wealthier man like that, though playing with a worse IQ heh. Anyway, why not just try and have another tool at your disposal, not every new game leaves no headroom with 2080TI at 4k.
I just don't see the value in Nv inspector anymore. at 4k there is much less need for AA. Certainly not enough to justify downloading Nv inspector, which I used to use religiously years ago. Not anymore. It doesn't offer anything that I can't access in the NV control panel thats worthwhile. If I want to use SSAA, I enabled it the control panel. There is zero incentive to use Nv inspector just to change the SSAA method when there will no visible difference, and I won't go any higher than 2x AA at 4k anyways.

For games that can't use SSAA for obvious performance reasons, like pretty much every new game released (sorry I don't play dead space anymore, already did 5 times before and even that was years ago), I use the ingame AA methods which have come a long way and very good at what they do. And even if they dont we have tools in the CP to use (scaling, sharpening, force most common and uncommon AA Modes, etc..)
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad