View Single Post
Old May 22, 2006, 09:35 AM   #5
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N
Maybe you already know this, but here's the difference:

Hibernation saves your memory to the hard disk and switches off the PC. When you turn it back on, the memory contents are loaded from hard disk. That means that both putting the PC into hibernation and turning it on again take some time depending on the amount of memory you have.

Standby doesn't turn the PC off, it usually just switches off hard drives and displays, so it has to be powered but the transitions are very fast.
I don't mind turnign it on, but what I want to know is which one saves the driver files so it doesn't reload them. Until I can find out what the problem is with my dirvers, I'm trying to keep it on but with as little power consumed as possible.

the driver that is causing the problems is TBCWDM.sys I believe. Half the time I reboot or boot into the desktop it gives me a BSOD with this file being the problem. It's the driver to my santa cruz sound card far as I can tell, but reinstalling the driver doesn't do anything.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote