View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2019, 09:17 AM   #40
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Just to clarify... scanlines are an artifact of 240p/doublestrike on SD CRTs and are most commonly seen with old video game systems like the NES, Genesis, SNES, TG16, etc.... With 240p, the image is drawn twice in the same spot using only half of the scanlines on the screen, giving a low resolution, non-flickering, progressive picture, whilst leaving the interleaved lines black. High resolution CRTs used for computers and HDTV don't generally show any scanlines at all, as they draw all the lines on the screen for each frame. Some early computer CRTs (e.g. Amiga 1080) used interlaced high resolution modes, though anything from the 2000s did not, thus no scanlines.

FWIW, I love the look of true CRT scanlines on retro consoles and keep a 27" Trinitron around for that purpose. IMO, old games look wrong if displayed any other way, though modern shaders can make flat panels look somewhat close. Blocky low resolution console games look horrible when displayed on LCDs,....
Thanks, I guess I've never seen one of the high res CRTs you're referring to in person. I thought I had, back in the late 90's early 2000's we had a 19" Sony Trinitron PC monitor that I believe could do 2560x1600 and I remember its scanlines being visible. But maybe I am wrong.

Agreed on your thoughts of CRT scanlines. Those old games were certainly designed with the scanlines in mind, and just don't look quite right without them.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote