Apr 8, 2010, 11:56 AM
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Deposed King of Rage3D
Join Date: Oct 2003
Official Catalyst Application Profiles FAQ!
As you've seen, Rage3D is home to the latest Catalyst Driver Application Profile updates, before anywhere else - even GAME.AMD.COM
. To help clarify what the Application Profile Updates are all about, here is some basic info:
As of 7/28/11 AMD have ended the exclusive posting of CAP's at Rage3D before they appear on AMD.com's own download pages.
- So what's the application profile doohickey thinger?
It's a method for AMD to deliver driver updates and fixes for games faster. Read more about the Catalyst Driver architecture changes here!
- What driver do I use?
Any driver that supports Profile Updates (i.e. 10.2 or newer), but it's recommended to use the latest WHQL driver set released on Game.AMD.com. Or, use the latest Preview driver set posted on AMD Underground!
- Where do I get the Application Profile Updates?
Check our Profile Download page! Keep an eye on the Rage3D front page for the newest releases, too.
- Is this for Eyefinity or CrossfireX only? I'm a regular joe with a single card and display.
Single card, Multiple card, single display, multiple display, mobility - as long as your product is supported by the main catalyst driver, the application profile update applies. Do eeet! Do eeet nauuughh!
- OK, I ran the installer for the profile update - now what?
That's all you need to do! The fixes and enhancements are enabled for the titles they apply to, no need to do anything!
- I don't see anything under CCC - Profiles? Did it fail?
Catalyst Application Profiles are Driver profile updates, not User profiles. You won't see anything under 'CCC - Profiles' that you don't create.
- I've got an older version of ATI Catalyst installed, what do I do?
Use Catalyst Install Manager (in Add/Remove Programs) to Custom uninstall CCC and Display Driver. Reboot, and run the new driver Express Install. Reboot if prompted, Install the Application Profile.
- Are new profiles cumulative and inclusive (newer profiles contain all the fixes from prior profiles) or are older profile 'fixes' included with each driver new release?
Yes. You only need the most current CAP. Fixes are moved into the next driver releases, too.
- I have Cat 10.3 installed with the first 10.3 profile update. What now?
Remove the CAP and Install the latest Application Profile update!
- I have an older Application Profile update, what should I do?
It can be left installed without any problems. However, uninstalling from Add/Remove programs takes mere seconds and doesn't require a reboot.
- I don't like having things installed unnecessarily. How do I keep my system 'clean'?
You can uninstall Application Profiles that apply to older Catalyst driver releases using Add/Remove Programs.
- If I'm having problems and I suspect it's because of driver install issues, what should I do?
This is what the Caveman does for Driver freshness. You'll need two free tools - CCleaner and DriverSweeper. You'll also need to know how to reboot into safe mode, and to be able to use 'common sense'.
- Disable Eyefinity groups, Crossfire, if enabled
- Optional - Enter Device Manager: Uninstall Display Adapters and check box for 'Delete Device Driver'
- Add/Remove Programs: Remove currently installed Application Profile updates (if installed)
- Uninstall CCC and Display Driver, using Catalyst Install Manager Custom mode (Don't express uninstall if you have an AMD Chipset)
- Reboot into safe mode
- Run Driver Sweeper for ATI Display Drivers, don't reboot.
- Run CCleaner for Registry - run Analyze and only select ATI entries for removal.
- Delete the following folders (applies to Vista/7)
- Reboot to desktop, run Express install on desired Catalyst driver & reboot if prompted.
- Install the latest Catalyst Application Profile.
- Re-enable Crossfire; re-create Eyefinity groups; Overdrive/CCC Profiles
If you have further questions, please ask!
List of Changes in Application Profile Update
Last edited by Dave : Jan 5, 2012 at 09:58 PM.