Thread: .AVI converter
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:40 PM   #5
TIKtak
Me

TIKtak is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinestus View Post
I dont really know how to use this software.
how do I convert an .avi to mpeg?
Err...umm...hmm...okay. I'll try to make a very simple tutorial for you.

Step 1: Download the 7-zip version of Mediacoder and extract it (I prefer the zipped version rather than the installer version since I prefer to not install too many software on my computer. Installers usually put a few files in different places without telling you where).

Step 2: Launch Mediacoder by double clicking on mediacoder.exe inside the extracted folder.

Step 3: When launching Mediacoder for the first time, it will open your default web browser that has a page with a button in it to start Mediacoder. Check the little box below it to avoid seeing this screen again after the initial launch and click the button.

Step 4: Add the file that you wish to transcode...

Step 5: Select the rendering mode that you desire. Each of these modes may affect your video quality but I can not go into describing each mode right now as I don't want to overwhelm you. For me, I would personally select Two-Pass. Choose your bitrate by typing it into the box or moving the slider next to it. Basically, the higher your bitrate, the better the quality. If you click on the Summary tab to the right (not shown here), it will show you the estimated size of your transcoded video in megabytes (MB) based on the bit rate that you have chosen.

Step 6: Select the format that you desire for your transcoded video. In your case, you mentioned MPEG which is a bit broad as there are a few different MPEG formats out there. In this tutorial, I will select MPEG1.

Step 7: Select the container that you wish to use. For more information on containers, click this link. For simplicity's sake, select either Default or MPEG1 as your container. Ignore the settings to the right as they only apply to the x264 and XviD video formats.

Step 8: If your original video has audio, click on the Audio tab to choose your audio settings. Unfortunately, the sample video that I used for this video has no audio so the options for audio are greyed out.

Step 9: When you are done choosing your basic settings, select the target folder that you want your transcoded video to be placed in. When you have selected your target/destination folder, press F5 or click on Transcode near the top of the window and select 'Start Transcoding'. The transcoding process will take a bit of time, depending on the settings that you have chosen for your video and the speed of your computer.

Step 10: If you feel a little adventurous, click on the Picture tab. This tab allows you to change the resolution of your video, crop your video, change it's framerate and aspect ratio. Another feature is the effects button. Clicking on the effects button will open a new window that will allow you to change certain effects on your video. You can see the effect applied on your video as it plays back in real time but this may require a 'souped up' computer to do. If your computer is not up to par, stop the video, change an effect, click Apply, and play the video to see the effect applied. Based on my personal experience and on the videos that I worked on, this feature has been quite unstable. Maybe it might be different for others. Once you are satisfied with the effect modifications that you have done to your video, click OK and then transcode your video.

Feel free to explore and tinker around with different settings. Use Google to look up a term that you are unsure off. It's a great way to learn new things.

Any questions regarding this tutorial? Ask and I will try to answer them. Did I miss something? Hate my tutorial? Please feel free to say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinestus
and how do I join clips together, take background music out of the clips, and put my own custom music on the background once they're all joined? (in that order)
Personally, I would use another freely available program called Virtualdub to do this. There are many Virtualdub tutorials floating around the internet if you can Google them. If you're feeling lazy, I can make a tutorial for you but I'll reserve doing that for some other time.

Last edited by TIKtak : Sep 3, 2008 at 11:59 PM.
TIKtak is offline   Reply With Quote