Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   CATALYST Drivers (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   AMD Radeon HD 7970 Driver (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33985690)

spyre Jan 12, 2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJuanlo (Post 1336808406)
Strange, Spyre said they shouldn't work with this version

The 8.93 were the first to offer it in the CCC and for it to be usable and the ones that every site mention too so its not just me, like this one:
http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-...preview-driver

The regular 11.12 drivers aka 8.92 don't have the feature. The 7xxx drivers have been updated a few times so I guess they added it to those after all.

Ristogod Jan 12, 2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Baumann (Post 1336808304)
How much system RAM do you have? With 2x 3GB GPU's the system will want to allocate 6GB of system RAM.

And BF3 in Eyefinity will want to allocate a lot of RAM: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/g...nity_review/18

I've got 8GB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1336808312)
This. Failing that I'd say do a nuke and pave on the OS.

I don't have the time. I did it about 6 months ago anyways (because of other upgrades requiring). In the past the experience has always been a lot of time wasted usually in not resolving the issue. I'm a software developer. I don't believe in nuke/pave. There is almost always a way to fix stuff without the need. If my system was solely mine alone in that I was the only one who interacted with it, it would be simple and I'd do it. But my system is the backbone of my home network and serves many roles for many different machines on the network and it's a huge process to go through setting it back up again.

bill dennison Jan 12, 2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1336808534)
I've got 8GB.

I don't have the time. I did it about 6 months ago anyways (because of other upgrades requiring). In the past the experience has always been a lot of time wasted usually in not resolving the issue. I'm a software developer. I don't believe in nuke/pave. There is almost always a way to fix stuff without the need. If my system was solely mine alone in that I was the only one who interacted with it, it would be simple and I'd do it. But my system is the backbone of my home network and serves many roles for many different machines on the network and it's a huge process to go through setting it back up again.

so do it on a old spare hard drive if you have one
then you can switch back and forth when you need your old setup and you can see if a new install helps

{WOR}lock Jan 12, 2012 04:31 PM

Having a slightly annoying issues on the 8.95. After exiting certain games the desktop hardlocks completely requiring a reset. They are leaked drivers though.

Qualitier Jan 12, 2012 04:42 PM

System RAM/Video RAM issues

(notice that it's info about a patch for Vista included in SP1, so this thing or a better one is likely included in any Vista or Windows 7 system you happen to have and you don't way need this patch, but the link has worth info)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105/en-us

Does this have to do with the said "BF3 memory leak" and/or some issues reported in this thread?

In summary (and if I've caught it right), all DX9 and some DX10 and DX11 games allocate, for their own use, as much application virtual RAM (that is generally limited to 2GB in 32bit OS's and in 32bit apps running in 64bit OS's) as video RAM, not clear if gfx card's inconditionally (3GB in case you have a 7970 with 3GB VRAM) or only the chunk that gets actually used by the game. In DX10 and 11 there's a similar allocation done by the OS in the OS virtual RAM space (generally limited to 2GB in 32bit; application and OS virtual RAM together amount 4GB in such systems), so that modern games don't need to maintain a copy of the VRAM in the application virtual RAM space, although some still do.

What the patch improves is that these costly and potentially impossible allocations don't consume actual virtual space, unless the reserved/allocated memory (not sure about nomenclature and concepts here) gets actually used, or something like that :bleh: .

Notice that these memory reservations/allocations/uses are independent from the use of physical RAM (that's up to the "virtual memory engine" distributed among processor's hw and OS code: the "defined" virtual RAM will be either in available physical RAM pages or paged out to disk) and the physical management of VRAM, that in 32 bit systems is done through a reserved "window" of upper physical memory addresses (upper = close to the 4GB boundary but below it) whose corresponding physical memory turns not usable (as ordinary physical memory at least). I believe that in 64bit systems it's done the same way although with the said window in way higher addresses (notice that you'd need over 4 billion times 4GB to fill a 64bit map!). Such "stolen" memory window is smaller than high VRAM sizes (even smaller than 1GB let alone 3GB) and I dare guess that independent from VRAM size? 512 or 768 MB no matter if 1024, 2048 or 3072MB VRAM? (at least my own 32bit OS's report 3318 MB usable so it's 778MB of physical RAM not usable here, with a 1GB card installed).

Crossfire: doesn't a CF/SLI config have only as much "application and OS usable" VRAM as one of the cards? Of course you'd still have to load all with textures etc, but wouldn't that affect to the window of physical memory addresses stolen from the physical map, and not to the application/OS virtual RAM?

RSHTh Jan 12, 2012 08:03 PM

I've been having random crashes on my Win7 64 system in Skyrim (screen goes white, I can get to desktop, etc. but can only see the screen while I hold down the Windows key) and from the desktop during normal non-video intensive work (system hangs briefly, driver resets and Windows notification comes up that it has recovered). Like Ristogod, I don't overclock my videocard yet the Catalyst overdrive settings were enabled. I've just unchecked the box and have my fingers crossed for stability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1336808191)
I don't overclock my video cards. So I never bother visiting the Overdrive section of CCC. What I had to do last night was visit that section of the software. After going in, nothing looked overclocked at all and it seemed to be showing default settings, which is what I expect and what I want. Despite that, the Apply button was lit up that I could click it. After I clicked it, all my problems with running went away. So someone feel free to explain to me what happened there? I never set up an overclock at any point of any kind. The cards seem to be behaving like they were overclocked in that they kept locking up my system and crashing in games (I do OC my CPU and am aware of how an unstable CPU will behave and my GPUs seemed similar). Despite CCC saying it wasn't overclocked, it allowed me to refresh the default clocks, took the settings and all issues disappeared (except again of course for the BF3 Eyefinity issue).

Otherwise I stand by my claim that install on the drivers are CRAP!

Ristogod Jan 12, 2012 08:44 PM

Doesn't seem to be the page file thing. This is how I have it set I guess after checking.

Ristogod Jan 12, 2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1336808848)
Doesn't seem to be the page file thing. This is how I have it set I guess after checking.

Spoke too soon. Instead of letting windows manage my page file, I manually set it to 8192 and after that BF3 then worked for me.

Back in business I guess. I just hope the next driver installs smoothly.

Falkentyne Jan 12, 2012 10:36 PM

Ok not like anyone cares, but I stopped the BSOD in CS Source in XP32 by copying the ati2cqag.dll from the whql 11.12 drivers into the system32 folder to overwrite the CD version. Fullscreen command prompt is still a no-go, though, instant hard lock and loss of monitor power signal instantly if switched out of windowed mode. Copying ati2dvag.dll (ATI windows display driver) from 11.12 doesn't help this one. Guess I'll have to wait for a proper XP driver for that to be fixed, as the CD XP drivers seem to be hacked together. I wonder what driver file handles fullscreen command prompt...tried each file from 11.12 (except obviously not the direct3d or external event modules) without success...oh well back to W7 unless I want to play AVA or Sacred 2...

Ristogod Jan 12, 2012 11:04 PM

New problem. I can no longer manage any of my audio devices. I frequently switch between my speakers and my G930 headset. That's no longer a possibility.

For instance, if I go into Control Panel\Hardware and Sound, there is a link for "Manage audio devices" Click on that does nothing. I suspect issues with the video card's HDMI audio stuff interfering.

Ristogod Jan 12, 2012 11:10 PM

In fact the only way I've been able to figure out how to work with my audio devices is by using CCC and going into the Audio subcategory.

If I do that I can at least change them. But I can't do much beyond that.

Also, since installing these drivers and having them mess up my audio controls, the majority of BF3 sounds are no longer present. I don't hear half of the stuff I'm supposed to anymore.

Something royally is wrong with these drivers and their audio.

Ristogod Jan 12, 2012 11:51 PM

I uninstalled all of the ATI software again and my audio is all working correctly again. Once again, crap drivers. I'll try reinstalling CCC again. Hopefully they'll bother to install without issue one of these times.

LordJuanlo Jan 13, 2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmanna (Post 1336808365)
Profiles are working fine for me with these drivers. After i reinstalled these drivers again (i should mention) they work fine.

It looks like profiles do work, but not with Assassin's Creed Revelations, the game ignores when I tell to disable Crossfire. I created a profile for TrackMania Canyon and it correctly disables Crossfire. And guess what... it works MUCH better with Crossfire disabled.

Ristogod Jan 13, 2012 01:41 AM

To fix the problem with the audio software interfering, I disabled the audio controllers on both the video cards in the device manager. After installing CCC one last time everything seems well. Skyrim plays without crashing. BF3 Eyefinity now works with a fixed page file size.

I haven't tried any other games. I think I'll try Serious Sam 3 next.

One thing to note about BF3. FRAPS is saying I'm pulling around 60FPS @ 6048x1080 on Ultra settings, with one custom setting of 2xMSAA. Despite that, everything still feels kind of choppy like it's running at half that FPS. I have V-Sync turned off currently and I don't have time to test tonight again. I just figured with it on it would be worse and possibly feel laggy.

Ristogod Jan 13, 2012 01:43 AM

BTW, is the driver listed here for download the same that shipped on the cards CDROM or is it more current? I've only tried the downloaded, so I'm just curious.

cryz Jan 13, 2012 02:29 AM

Code:

FOLLOWUP_IP:
atikmdag+3fb9a2
fffff880`0528e9a2 4584f6          test    r14b,r14b

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  1
SYMBOL_NAME:  atikmdag+3fb9a2
FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner
MODULE_NAME: atikmdag
IMAGE_NAME:  atikmdag.sys
DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  4f05127f
STACK_COMMAND:  .cxr 0xfffff8800c8735c0 ; kb
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_atikmdag+3fb9a2
BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_atikmdag+3fb9a2

Aaaand another BSOD in atikmdag.sys, this time while viewing a bunch of JPEG files with Fast Picture Viewer 64 bit edition. Completely random, tried to view the same images again, no BSOD. I will try cleaning up these drivers and install the CD ones.

LordJuanlo Jan 13, 2012 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1336809028)
BTW, is the driver listed here for download the same that shipped on the cards CDROM or is it more current? I've only tried the downloaded, so I'm just curious.

The driver listed here is newer than the driver that ships with the cards

Skinner Jan 13, 2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1336809025)
One thing to note about BF3. FRAPS is saying I'm pulling around 60FPS @ 6048x1080 on Ultra settings, with one custom setting of 2xMSAA. Despite that, everything still feels kind of choppy like it's running at half that FPS. I have V-Sync turned off currently and I don't have time to test tonight again. I just figured with it on it would be worse and possibly feel laggy.

I can confirm the choppy gameplay in BF3 and Skyrim with HD7970 CF, alltough the framerates are high, it's not smooth, esp. in Skyrim there are a lot of hitches.

It will probably take a few drivers to tune things out.

Higgy10 Jan 13, 2012 07:24 AM

Could be the deferred msaa, im running same settings and 6048x1200 also and get the occasional hitch. Going fxaa only improved it a bit. Another thing i noticed too is that at 6048x1200 with 4xmsaa is the game is using about 2500mb of vram! (well 5161mb/2) and borderline playable too to boot aside from the slight hitch.

caveman-jim Jan 13, 2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1336809028)

AFAIK It's the driver that the press got for testing.

acroig Jan 13, 2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1336808534)

I hear ya. Best of luck Risto.

Qualitier Jan 13, 2012 10:07 AM

I think Vsync ON can improve smoothness in those situations when frame rates are high but gameplay is choppy. At least it does here with COD4-Modern Warfare (and somewhat ancient hw).

Skinner Jan 13, 2012 10:26 AM

There is really still a lot of driverwork to, GTAIV for example is a disaster with HD7970CF, as if the textures are not really loaded into the vidmem, a lot of HD trashing etc.

These things are really fast but it will take a while before we will see it in full potention.

LordJuanlo Jan 13, 2012 10:45 AM

In Lord of the Rings Online I also had to disable CrossFireX to get a decent framerate instead of a choppy lagfest. For now, CrossFireX only shines in Aliens vs Predator and Lost Planet 2. In every other game I have tried I need to disable one card to get the best performance, although I haven't tried so many games (my stupid motherboard dying didn't allow for it). I will try Battlefield 3 this weekend. I tried it for 5 minutes on the motherboard that died and, as far as I remember, it was working fine.

Anyway this is truly disappointing after spending 1000 euro in those cards, and I'm really sorry for the people that bought 3 or even 4 cards. At those prices, I think they should behave much, much better out of the box.

I'm frustrated, but not surprised. When I bought the 6970 one year ago it worked perfectly, but it was a refined version of a mature architecture. I understand the 7970s are completely new beasts, and CrossFireX is only making things worse. BSODs on a newly installed OS just after disabling/enabling/re-enabling CrossFireX leave a very bad taste.

I only hope we get good drivers as soon as possible. The drivers we have right now barely make the cards work.

spyre Jan 13, 2012 10:51 AM

GTA IV has not liked any graphics cards with over 2GB of video RAM with both Nvidia or AMD as you have to tell it the correct amount of video RAM for it to work.

Try the game on a 6990 and 6970 in Trifire for example and it throws a wobbly as it thinks there is too much RAM as it detects 6GB instead of 2GB and it only works at 800 x 600 unless you mess around.

Skinner Jan 13, 2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyre (Post 1336809291)
GTA IV has not liked any graphics cards with over 2GB of video RAM with both Nvidia or AMD as you have to tell it the correct amount of video RAM for it to work.

Try the game on a 6990 and 6970 in Trifire for example and it throws a wobbly as it thinks there is too much RAM as it detects 6GB instead of 2GB and it only works at 800 x 600 unless you mess around.

It ran fine with 2x 3 GB GTX 580's, but that's an intresting note you have there. I will search about this. I know this engine is not the most efficient one :D

I hope they will fixe the The Wicther2 issue, because this GPU have the power to run it the way I want, but also on this engine, ubersampling isn't quite as "efficient" compared to normal SSAA.

Higgy10 Jan 13, 2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJuanlo (Post 1336809283)
In Lord of the Rings Online I also had to disable CrossFireX to get a decent framerate instead of a choppy lagfest. For now, CrossFireX only shines in Aliens vs Predator and Lost Planet 2. In every other game I have tried I need to disable one card to get the best performance, although I haven't tried so many games (my stupid motherboard dying didn't allow for it). I will try Battlefield 3 this weekend. I tried it for 5 minutes on the motherboard that died and, as far as I remember, it was working fine.

Anyway this is truly disappointing after spending 1000 euro in those cards, and I'm really sorry for the people that bought 3 or even 4 cards. At those prices, I think they should behave much, much better out of the box.

I'm frustrated, but not surprised. When I bought the 6970 one year ago it worked perfectly, but it was a refined version of a mature architecture. I understand the 7970s are completely new beasts, and CrossFireX is only making things worse. BSODs on a newly installed OS just after disabling/enabling/re-enabling CrossFireX leave a very bad taste.

I only hope we get good drivers as soon as possible. The drivers we have right now barely make the cards work.

So far out of all the games i tested i havent had to disable cfx to get any working properly lordjuan. I even ran a single card for a few hrs before popping in the 2nd and noticed huge gains at 6048. Theres a few oddball ones too i tested. So far the list includes bf3,crysis2,witcher2,world of tanks,two worlds 2, drakensang,dragon age 2, divinity 2,crysis1(scaling seemed poor on that one 50% each gpu), metro, stalker,mafia 2

Higgy10 Jan 13, 2012 11:09 AM

Add mafia2 to the list, and saints row3

LordJuanlo Jan 13, 2012 12:01 PM

Glad to hear it Higgy, hope I can try a lot of games this weekend

Higgy10 Jan 13, 2012 12:12 PM

A new mobo and fresh windows install might do wonders for you. I dont have lotr or ac:revelations to test so cant help u there unfortunately