Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Home Theaters and Photography (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Official Digi Cam Pic Thread! (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33755999)

ThirdEye Oct 19, 2006 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobs0n (Post 1334606460)
Thats the word, is it your pet?

Yup :D

A buddy of mine and me built the habitat.

Chair Oct 20, 2006 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pink_pants (Post 1334614563)
My awesomely blurry photos from the raconteurs gig last night

[img]http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1385/r1fl6.jpg[/img

[img]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7429/r3ya8.jpg[/img

[img]http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3898/r2is1.jpg[/img

I'm a douche and forgot my memory card so could only take about 10 photos and they all turned out blurry :lol:

raconteurs were awesome at the virgin festival here in toronto, I didn't have a camera to take shots at the time though :(

hobs0n Oct 20, 2006 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3p51l0n (Post 1334614812)
Yup :D

A buddy of mine and me built the habitat.

Kewl :up: How long ago was that? How big is the habitat and how hard was it to build it? Whats the size of the lizzi btw? What kind of food do those eat? Would be cool to see a pic of it when it eats :) Are those the ones with ninja fast tongues for taking insects?

hobs0n Oct 20, 2006 07:02 AM

Here´s some more picz from a long walk we had.

Seems there are a lot of beavers in this area, saw several hundred treas bitten down :)

This pic is kinda kewl I think, looks like that crappy DX7 effect thats all over WoW ;) I donno why the camera made it like this, I think we had it on auto for this pic.

Here´s a pic of my GF, Jennifer, in an old part of a dead tree, not much trees in Sweden that are this big! Id like to see some more tree pictures :) I sharpened this pic some in Jasc Paint Shop, didnt make it better..

This one I brightened in Jasc Paint Shop that I just installed, not much of a difference, Im a total newb when it comes to image editing.

This is the big church in Uppsala and the river Fyrisån. The same town Jased lives in.

Whats the deal with the camera that it has to hard to handle it when its not very bright outdoors, like these pictures, the sky is overbright and the groundpart of the pic is overdark, is my Konica Minolta A200 crappy or can this be settled in the camera settings? I tried varios different settings.

ThirdEye Oct 20, 2006 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobs0n (Post 1334615261)
Kewl :up: How long ago was that? How big is the habitat and how hard was it to build it? Whats the size of the lizzi btw? What kind of food do those eat? Would be cool to see a pic of it when it eats :) Are those the ones with ninja fast tongues for taking insects?

It was this summer. The size of the chameleon is about 8 inches excludig the tail. The habitat is 5 feet in height, 3 feet in width and 2 feet in depth. No, it wasn't really hard to build. I feed the little bastard crickets. When I get back from school I'll take some pics and maybe a video, because his tongue is fast.

Cylan Oct 20, 2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobs0n (Post 1334615296)

This pic is kinda kewl I think, looks like that crappy DX7 effect thats all over WoW ;) I donno why the camera made it like this, I think we had it on auto for this pic.

Looks like the "poor man's diffusion filter" aka the "halitosis filter" or, you got some condensation on the lens (usually accomplished by exhaling on the lens).

Quote:

Whats the deal with the camera that it has to hard to handle it when its not very bright outdoors, like these pictures, the sky is overbright and the groundpart of the pic is overdark, is my Konica Minolta A200 crappy or can this be settled in the camera settings? I tried varios different settings.

Your Minolta isn't really "crappy", but as with most P&S digitals, they have a very small dynamic range as compared to real DSLRs or film, which causes bright things to seem too bright, and dark things to seem too dark.

DPReview says:

In common with all cameras based around this sensor, the A200 struggles to capture the full dynamic range of high contrast scenes. In these situations the metering system invariably exposes for the highlights, which is great for preserving delicate sky detail, but tends to render any mid-tone or shadow areas very dark indeed. I found shooting RAW made rescuing this kind of shot a lot easier, and to be fair to Konica Minolta, this is more a limitation of the 8MP sensor than a serious flaw in the camera itself.

drspangle Oct 20, 2006 02:34 PM

YEsterday was ****, but took my camera to University anyway. Wandered around the domain after but got a few nice pics of the wintergardens.

hobs0n Oct 20, 2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylan (Post 1334615474)
Looks like the "poor man's diffusion filter" aka the "halitosis filter" or, you got some condensation on the lens (usually accomplished by exhaling on the lens).

Your Minolta isn't really "crappy", but as with most P&S digitals, they have a very small dynamic range as compared to real DSLRs or film, which causes bright things to seem too bright, and dark things to seem too dark.

DPReview says:

In common with all cameras based around this sensor, the A200 struggles to capture the full dynamic range of high contrast scenes. In these situations the metering system invariably exposes for the highlights, which is great for preserving delicate sky detail, but tends to render any mid-tone or shadow areas very dark indeed. I found shooting RAW made rescuing this kind of shot a lot easier, and to be fair to Konica Minolta, this is more a limitation of the 8MP sensor than a serious flaw in the camera itself.

Excellent info, thanx man :up: It was just that pic that got that way, the pics before and after was totally normal. Ill read up on this info more tomorrow :)

Doozer Oct 21, 2006 10:43 AM

35 x 30 second exposures during an electrical storm in Greece

ScottDoom Oct 21, 2006 11:10 AM

Neat. Is that one frame a plane flying by?

Doozer Oct 21, 2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottDoom (Post 1334616987)
Neat. Is that one frame a plane flying by?

:yes: It's actually a plane taking off :cool:

UDHA Oct 21, 2006 08:17 PM

awesome work! :yep: Shame the camera wasn't more steady, were you using a tripod?

drspangle Oct 21, 2006 08:32 PM

I suspect that he was. 30 second exposures are hard to do by hand :p Probably bumped the tripod setting off the shutter each time.

UDHA Oct 21, 2006 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drspangle (Post 1334617570)
I suspect that he was. 30 second exposures are hard to do by hand :p Probably bumped the tripod setting off the shutter each time.

I've done 5 second exposures by hand: http://warp.udhaonline.net/images/storm/
but they look rubbish in comparison to his

mavis Oct 21, 2006 09:53 PM

Quote:

Here´s some more picz from a long walk we had.

-snip-

You can (partially) compensate for the shortcomings of your camera by using Photoshop ... ;)

Original

Edit

Just a two-second edit, not a very good job - but still ...

drspangle Oct 21, 2006 10:31 PM

What were you using to do that? Saturation seems a bit high :p

Shadow/Highlight ftw

mavis Oct 22, 2006 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drspangle (Post 1334617657)
What were you using to do that? Saturation seems a bit high :p

Shadow/Highlight ftw

Yup, Shadows/Highlights ... I used an insane amount because I wanted the girl's face to be properly exposed ...

hobs0n Oct 22, 2006 01:48 AM

Ah kewlio, Jasc Paint should be able to do that effect too? I dont wanna be a pirate and get Photoshop ;)

The picture look way more "pixly" with the edited pic and the realistic light is somewhere between the original and mavis version, I think drspangles is nearer but still a bit too bright too.

BTW AWESOME Doozer!! What kind of camera you got, cant imagine that my camera can do such nice :heart:

Doozer Oct 22, 2006 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDHA (Post 1334617566)
awesome work! :yep: Shame the camera wasn't more steady, were you using a tripod?

Quote:

Originally Posted by drspangle (Post 1334617570)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobs0n (Post 1334617806)
Ah kewlio, Jasc Paint should be able to do that effect too? I dont wanna be a pirate and get Photoshop ;)

The picture look way more "pixly" with the edited pic and the realistic light is somewhere between the original and mavis version, I think drspangles is nearer but still a bit too bright too.

BTW AWESOME Doozer!! What kind of camera you got, cant imagine that my camera can do such nice :heart:

I was a bit drunk when I took the photo's and kept bumping the tripod between shots :p

Hobs0n, I have a Nikon D50 :) PaintShop Pro can do the same as Photoshop, it's just a case of learning it :yep: I need to learn it more, time for more book reading

UDHA Oct 22, 2006 05:30 AM

The GIMP can do alot too, I've been using it for some time now, it was a bit of a learning curve from photoshop, but I haven't used that since photoshop 7 now, the GIMP does anything I need.

hobs0n Oct 22, 2006 09:42 AM

hehe I just love the name of GIMP and its Linux too! :up:

drspangle Oct 23, 2006 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDHA (Post 1334617961)
The GIMP can do alot too, I've been using it for some time now, it was a bit of a learning curve from photoshop, but I haven't used that since photoshop 7 now, the GIMP does anything I need.

I desperatly want to, but I`m so engrained in how I do things in Photoshop, it literally takes 10 times as long for me to process a photo in the GIMP as it does in CS2, and the results are never to my liking :(

UDHA Oct 23, 2006 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drspangle (Post 1334619546)
I desperatly want to, but I`m so engrained in how I do things in Photoshop, it literally takes 10 times as long for me to process a photo in the GIMP as it does in CS2, and the results are never to my liking :(

yeah I know that feeling. It's only what you are used to, for me it's the other way around now.

Chair Oct 23, 2006 02:36 PM

UDHA Oct 23, 2006 04:29 PM

:arrow_up: whoa, I just had a vision of that junkyard in starwars ep. 1

chew Oct 23, 2006 04:41 PM

Still suprised by my a300

ScottDoom Oct 23, 2006 05:08 PM

Editing for the win!!!11on1ele; :)

Trunks0 Oct 23, 2006 05:30 PM

Kagtooth Oct 23, 2006 10:14 PM

Nicely done Trunks0 :up:

Reese Oct 23, 2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottDoom (Post 1334620464)
Editing for the win!!!11on1ele; :)

holy hell, that look s a jillion times better.