Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Samsung S9 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34046876)

nycdarkness Mar 12, 2018 09:43 AM

I've had every galaxy and note. One thing about samsung phones I don't like is what I like to call the samsung lag. Creeps in slowly overtime, then you just need to factory reset. Granted my iphones have been the same way. Just it doesnt come as quick.

Munkus Mar 12, 2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1338058917)
I've had every galaxy and note. One thing about samsung phones I don't like is what I like to call the samsung lag. Creeps in slowly overtime, then you just need to factory reset. Granted my iphones have been the same way. Just it doesnt come as quick.

Same, although I haven't really noticed it with my iPhones.

0091/2 Mar 12, 2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1338058917)

The Samsung lag is on the note 8? How long do you have use the phone to see it? I've owned my note 8 since OCT and I haven't experienced the Samsung lag yet. :bleh:

nycdarkness Mar 12, 2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0091/2 (Post 1338058923)
The Samsung lag is on the note 8? How long do you have use the phone to see it? I've owned my note 8 since OCT and I haven't experienced the Samsung lag yet. :bleh:

I've had it since a few days before launch. It lags a bit. It's mostly the hickups that weren't there before kinda thing. It's holding up better than prior sammys.

0091/2 Mar 12, 2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1338058925)
I've had it since a few days before launch. It lags a bit. It's mostly the hickups that weren't there before kinda thing. It's holding up better than prior sammys.

DId you change animation speed in developer options? That's what I did, maybe that's the reason the lag doesn't stand out as much for me.:bleh:

nycdarkness Mar 12, 2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0091/2 (Post 1338058926)
DId you change animation speed in developer options? That's what I did, maybe that's the reason the lag doesn't stand out as much for me.:bleh:

Yeah I have. I've noticed it reloads apps more often etc as well. It's just one of those samsung things I've been use to. So it's not surprising.

0091/2 Mar 12, 2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1338058929)
Yeah I have. I've noticed it reloads apps more often etc as well. It's just one of those samsung things I've been use to. So it's not surprising.

App reload is one thing I noticed as well. The phone still has a lot of free ram left I don't understand why it does it. Did you try any of the leaked OREO firmware? Any idea if apps reload just as often in Oreo?

Munkus Mar 12, 2018 11:32 AM

App responsiveness is one of the things I like about iOS. If you could combine that with the flexibility of Android OS, I'd be a happy camper.

Lazy8s Mar 12, 2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338058934)
App responsiveness is one of the things I like about iOS. If you could combine that with the flexibility of Android OS, I'd be a happy camper.

I'm on 7.1.1 Android, and everything opens instantly for me. Essential phone

ice Mar 12, 2018 12:27 PM

I keep reading about how meh the Essential phone is many months after people use it. From camera to stability to speed. Maybe I'm reading old stuff. I just can't use a phone that doesn't have a good camera anymore, I'm too used to how good the Samsungs and Pixels of the world are.

Munkus Mar 12, 2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338058936)
I'm on 7.1.1 Android, and everything opens instantly for me. Essential phone

Good to hear. On my Samsung Tab A tablet and 7.1.1, the lag when opening apps is painful. Of course, it's a slow machine to begin with, so there's that. My Note 3 became a slug after 2 years, despite factory resets and clearing the app cache. Finally ditched it and went with Apple.

Elysian Mar 12, 2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice (Post 1338058942)
I keep reading about how meh the Essential phone is many months after people use it. From camera to stability to speed. Maybe I'm reading old stuff. I just can't use a phone that doesn't have a good camera anymore, I'm too used to how good the Samsungs and Pixels of the world are.

No problems with stability or speed on mine running the Oreo 8.1 beta. Camera has been quite good as well, they've updated it several times since I bought my phone. I don't have a modern Android reference point for camera quality, but it's better than my iPhone 6s+ was.

koralis Mar 12, 2018 01:46 PM

Still waiting to hear whether the unlocked version will support Tmobile 4x4 mimo and other bits (as well as confirming band 71 support actually working, as opposed to nod from Samsung.)

Lazy8s Mar 12, 2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338058953)
Good to hear. On my Samsung Tab A tablet and 7.1.1, the lag when opening apps is painful. Of course, it's a slow machine to begin with, so there's that. My Note 3 became a slug after 2 years, despite factory resets and clearing the app cache. Finally ditched it and went with Apple.

I had several of the Notes as well. Even the 7.1 is night and day from that mess. I haven't installed Oreo yet, because /not savvy enough lol, but according to Elysian and a couple of folks I know personally it's even smoother, and more importantly, quite stable.

I just paired it with a brand new Sammy Gear Sport and that easily rivals or exceeds the apple watch in every way, so I don't see a return to apple, at all. Ever.

Edit: I may end up going with an S9 after all. I want to switch carriers. Several friends have gone with that xfinity mobile and even though they have a byop policy, they don't accept the PH1. It must be too unlocked for them :bleh:

I can get $450 off the S9 if I switch. Tempting....

Rummy Mar 12, 2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338058965)
I had several of the Notes as well. Even the 7.1 is night and day from that mess. I haven't installed Oreo yet, because /not savvy enough lol, but according to Elysian and a couple of folks I know personally it's even smoother, and more importantly, quite stable.

I just paired it with a brand new Sammy Gear Sport and that easily rivals or exceeds the apple watch in every way, so I don't see a return to apple, at all. Ever.

Edit: I may end up going with an S9 after all. I want to switch carriers. Several friends have gone with that xfinity mobile and even though they have a byop policy, they don't accept the PH1. It must be too unlocked for them :bleh:

I can get $450 off the S9 if I switch. Tempting....

My S8 is paid off so i ordered the S9+ and got 360.00 off. Should be here tomorrow.:drool:

Lazy8s Mar 13, 2018 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rummy (Post 1338059002)
My S8 is paid off so i ordered the S9+ and got 360.00 off. Should be here tomorrow.:drool:

Nice!

Elysian Mar 13, 2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338059050)
Nice!

8.1 is official for the Essential now.

Lazy8s Mar 13, 2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338059137)
8.1 is official for the Essential now.

Installing now - thanks :)

Munkus Mar 19, 2018 07:46 AM

Well, I got the S9. Honestly, I'm bored with iOS and its lack of customizability. It's fine and all, but it's like playing an on-rails game. So far the S9 with Oreo is great.

Lazy8s Mar 19, 2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338060036)
Well, I got the S9. Honestly, I'm bored with iOS and its lack of customizability. It's fine and all, but it's like playing an on-rails game. So far the S9 with Oreo is great.

Did you get the 9 or the 9+? The temptation is killing me because of that $450 price cut I can get - that puts it into PH1 pricing territory and therefore sexy as all heck to me :bleh:

Rummy Mar 19, 2018 07:47 PM

I got the S9+ so far this thing is excellent. Never had a problem with Samsung before though.

Munkus Mar 19, 2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338060132)
Did you get the 9 or the 9+? The temptation is killing me because of that $450 price cut I can get - that puts it into PH1 pricing territory and therefore sexy as all heck to me :bleh:

9+ :)

Gotta say, so far I like it a lot

Napoleonic Mar 19, 2018 09:46 PM

Anyone know how to wifi screen mirror s9+ to Sony Bravia TV???

Lazy8s Mar 20, 2018 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338060178)
9+ :)

Gotta say, so far I like it a lot

I think I may have to go test drive one today....

Munkus Mar 20, 2018 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338060218)
I think I may have to go test drive one today....

Here are my impressions so far.

Pros:
Android has come a long way since whatever version was on the Note 3. It's much snappier and more stable.
The ability to configure/customize just about everything has always been Android's strongest suit. iOS is severely lacking in that area. It's refreshing to go back to Android after all these years.
The S9+'s screen is sweet and sexy. The curved screen is a nice touch.
It's fast, but I don't do benchmarks so I can't say if it's any faster than the iPhone 8+.
The camera is incrementally better than the iPhone. The dual aperture is nice.
The fingerprint button is perfectly placed on the back. I don't miss the front-facing home/fingerprint button at all.
The two front-firing speakers (one at the top of the screen, one at the bottom) give a nice stereo feel vs the iPhones two bottom-firing ones. The sound is clear and strong.
Samsung's Android launcher is much improved, with fewer useless bloatware apps.
Face recognition to unlock the phone is sweet. Yes, I know the iPhone X has that, but not the 8/8+.
The 8mm headphone jack! Oh how I've missed thee...

Cons
Bixby is as dumb as a box of rocks. Siri is far from perfect, but she trounces Bixby.
Out of the box, the screen is set to FHD+ (2220x1080) to save battery life. You can up it to WQHD+ (2960x1440) but it's a pretty big battery hit. Either way it's crisp and clear. I went back to FHD+ because of the battery drain.
The jury is still out on the overall battery life compared to the iPhone 8+. Neither lasts more than a few hours if you do a lot of surfing on game playing.
The earbuds that come with the S9+ are subpar. I ended up buying different ones.

Overall my impression is that the S9+ hardware isn't much faster than the iPhone 8+. If it hadn't been free, I wouldn't have crossgraded. But I'm glad I did. I missed Android.

Lazy8s Mar 20, 2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338060230)

Pros:
Android has come a long way since whatever version was on the Note 3. It's much snappier and more stable.
The ability to configure/customize just about everything has always been Android's strongest suit. iOS is severely lacking in that area. It's refreshing to go back to Android after all these years.
It's fast, but I don't do benchmarks so I can't say if it's any faster than the iPhone 8+.
The fingerprint button is perfectly placed on the back. I don't miss the front-facing home/fingerprint button at all.
The two front-firing speakers (one at the top of the screen, one at the bottom) give a nice stereo feel vs the iPhones two bottom-firing ones. The sound is clear and strong.
Face recognition to unlock the phone is sweet. Yes, I know the iPhone X has that, but not the 8/8+.

Cons
Bixby is as dumb as a box of rocks. Siri is far from perfect, but she trounces Bixby.
Out of the box, the screen is set to FHD+ (2220x1080) to save battery life. You can up it to WQHD+ (2960x1440) but it's a pretty big battery hit. Either way it's crisp and clear. I went back to FHD+ because of the battery drain.
The jury is still out on the overall battery life compared to the iPhone 8+. Neither lasts more than a few hours if you do a lot of surfing on game playing.
The earbuds that come with the S9+ are subpar. I ended up buying different ones.

Overall my impression is that the S9+ hardware isn't much faster than the iPhone 8+. If it hadn't been free, I wouldn't have crossgraded. But I'm glad I did. I missed Android.

Thanks for the feedback! Android has come leaps and bounds for sure. I don't think I could go back to Apple after having Oreo on my PH1.

I'd use google instead of Bixby, mainly because I've heard all about lol, but I'll post if I up/side grade myself. It just looks too sweet not to, and I'm weak :p

0091/2 Mar 20, 2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338060230)

Pros:

Cons

Bixby isn't dumb, it excels at doing tasks related to your phone. Use Bixby to control your phone. The best thing about Bixby is you can make voice command macros. Say for example "good night" you can make Bixby turn on do not disturb, set rotation to portrait, turn on blue light filter, switch to the internet app and say "manches" at end of the macro.

Bixby understands context for Samsung and Google Apps. You tell it to search for an app in the play store and install it; it'll do just that.

Bixby isn't good for things requiring internet search. if You ask bixby to convert currency for an example, it'll open calculator and choose a category or pull up a search for the currency. Use google assistant for all things internet.

Lazy8s Mar 20, 2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0091/2 (Post 1338060314)
Bixby isn't dumb, it excels at doing tasks related to your phone. Use Bixby to control your phone. The best thing about Bixby is you can make voice command macros. Say for example "good night" you can make Bixby turn on do not disturb, set rotation to portrait, turn on blue light filter, switch to the internet app and say "manches" at end of the macro.

Bixby understands context for Samsung and Google Apps. You tell it to search for an app in the play store and install it; it'll do just that.

Bixby isn't good for things requiring internet search. if You ask bixby to convert currency for an example, it'll open calculator and choose a category or pull up a search for the currency. Use google assistant for all things internet.

That's good info. All I've seen are complaints so far about Bixby, but I've never heard anyone cover these functions. Thanks for filling in some blanks. :up:

Munkus Mar 20, 2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0091/2 (Post 1338060314)

That's pretty cool. Apparently I have a lot to learn about this phone. :up:

Lazy8s Mar 20, 2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338060341)
That's pretty cool. Apparently I have a lot to learn about this phone. :up:

I need to get my grubby paws on one :p