Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Battlefield 3 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33946969)

{0}Salamander{0} Aug 4, 2010 07:19 AM

Just thought that I would announce that the official BF3 forum is now up on the EA site...
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/

At least a couple of things are confirmed then, it will be multiplatform (no surprise there really). :rolleyes:
Oh and there will be no XP support, Vista / Win 7 only which means DX10 and DX11.
Apparently optimised for 64-bit.

Odd how it seems DICE had no clue about the half arsed "announcement" which wasn't really an announcement, it seems to be all EA's doing.

Chubz Aug 4, 2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} (Post 1336330603)
At least a couple of things are confirmed then, it will be multiplatform (no surprise there really). :rolleyes:

Yep, Battlefield is officially dead. Another incredible PC franchise crushed.

Bearclaw Aug 4, 2010 09:12 AM

I just hope BF3 is more refined than BC2. That release felt like a Beta.

spindoctor Aug 4, 2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw (Post 1336330683)
I just hope BF3 is more refined than BC2. That release felt like a Beta.

it definitely did feel like a beta at release. i'm expecting the same from bf3 too... there aren't many developers who will spend the time and money polishing their games before release. they'd much rather put out patches afterwards.

Bearclaw Aug 4, 2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spindoctor (Post 1336330714)
it definitely did feel like a beta at release. i'm expecting the same from bf3 too... there aren't many developers who will spend the time and money polishing their games before release. they'd much rather put out patches afterwards.

Ya, I agree. Kind of makes me angry - "Oh, we can just casually do this as we can work on patches later"

Well, 1) Not a great approach and 2) Look at BC2 - The patch took forever to get out and it was spotty at best.

Granted, it's an amazing game but I can safely say I will wait this time around to buy it.

spindoctor Aug 4, 2010 10:23 AM

i have some sympathy for developers though... the kind of crunch that comes at the end of a project can lead to mistakes and oversights. it's poor project management rather than bad developers as such... this is true in most cases. sometimes though, you just have to wonder how the hell they let certain glaring problems go unfixed in the gold version.

Kain Aug 4, 2010 04:14 PM

What's the difference between the "Battlefield" line of games and the "Battlefield: Bad Company" lines of games?

lumpyhed Aug 4, 2010 04:19 PM

bad company was spawned on the consoles as a spinoff of the franchise with a proper single player experience (hard to sell on consoles otherwise) and an experiment with destructable terrain and buildings. Its also a more condensed infantry orientated series whereas battlefield is all about the combined arms loving.

xNaquada Aug 4, 2010 08:49 PM

There is now an official BF3 forum on the EAUK (DICE) Forums!

{0}Salamander{0} Aug 5, 2010 01:56 AM

I've got my pitchfork ready and waiting for this one...

theshadowcult Aug 5, 2010 08:49 AM

What a coincidence! I have a torch!

Bearclaw Aug 5, 2010 08:53 AM

n00b question here: Just got into the battlrefield game recently when I bought BC2. Are the Bad Company games different/a different game more or less than Battlefield?

Dave Aug 5, 2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Just thought that I would announce that the official BF3 forum is now up on the EA site...

Oh and there will be no XP support, Vista / Win 7 only which means DX10 and DX11.

Odd how it seems DICE had no clue about the half arsed "announcement" which wasn't really an announcement, it seems to be all EA's doing.

so no Directx 9 and its on the xbox 360 and ps3? am i missing something here or can the 360/ps3 do dx10 now?:bleh:

I think im going to reinstall BF1942.

KAC Aug 5, 2010 12:41 PM

Keep throwing turd at the customer. EA policy. True story!

bigtabs Aug 5, 2010 02:30 PM

I have a feeling BF3 PC will be quite different to the console versions. :)

xNaquada Aug 5, 2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw (Post 1336331626)
n00b question here: Just got into the battlrefield game recently when I bought BC2. Are the Bad Company games different/a different game more or less than Battlefield?

YES.

Think of BFBC2 as very infantry centric. This is due in part to the BadCompany line being a "console line" of the Battlefield series, where as BF2 for example was devloped and supported solely on PCs with PC Gaming in mind, (BFBC2 is a port)

Battlefield series (BF2 and hopefully BF3) is the whole experience.... Jets that will rape gound armies to the ground, helicopter gunships that can actually circle strafe and flip unlike the ****ty flying bricks in BC2, and the rest of the goods, tanks, APCs, etc. Everything is very powerful, and powerful enough noone ever needed a hardcore mode in BF2 because it found the perfect balance.

Battlefield 2 was one and still is one of the best games I've ever played. BFBC2 is nice (graphically), and the destruction is nice, but if they just ported BF2 to this engine it would be absolutely amazing.

This is what everyone is hoping BF3 to be.

Chubz Aug 5, 2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNaquada (Post 1336332185)
YES.

Think of BFBC2 as very infantry centric. This is due in part to the BadCompany line being a "console line" of the Battlefield series, where as BF2 for example was devloped and supported solely on PCs with PC Gaming in mind, (BFBC2 is a port)

Battlefield series (BF2 and hopefully BF3) is the whole experience.... Jets that will rape gound armies to the ground, helicopter gunships that can actually circle strafe and flip unlike the ****ty flying bricks in BC2, and the rest of the goods, tanks, APCs, etc. Everything is very powerful, and powerful enough noone ever needed a hardcore mode in BF2 because it found the perfect balance.

Battlefield 2 was one and still is one of the best games I've ever played. BFBC2 is nice (graphically), and the destruction is nice, but if they just ported BF2 to this engine it would be absolutely amazing.

Except please, DICE, please don't bring back the artillery. Anything but that! :cry::cry::cry: BF2's artillery makes BC2's mortar strikes seem like a walk in the park!

dawdler Aug 5, 2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

No its not :bleh:

Still many of us Battlefield fans that consider BF2 one of the worst BF games.
- Highly unbalanced jets due to broken AA. WWII planes was better and even the Vietnam jets where better (handheld AA was atleast available).
- It stripped the awesome class system found in Battlefield Vietnam, where you had more choices and turned it into point based unlocks. BF2142 was another twist on equipment and it was FAAAR superior to BF2.
- Simplistic armor penetration on most vehicles. BF1942 did this better (BF2142 brought it back).
- The squads was a nice idea, but ultimately flawed. It wasnt refined until BF2142 which did them ALOT better - best in the series so far (including BC2).
- Commander, same as above. Decent idea, poor execution. Carpet bombing every minute? Uh, stupid. The EMP/precision strike combo in BF2142 is so much better on a gameplay level its almost silly.
- Etc and so on.

Sure it brought better graphics, physics and sound to the series, plus revival and ammo handouts, which is about the only good things it did.

I want BF1942 2 with the added features of BF2142 (adapted of course) on the BC2 engine. Dont even need to bother with BF2.

{0}Salamander{0} Aug 6, 2010 02:29 AM

They should just make "BF3" a high res texture update for "BF2", then I would be happy!

acidosmosis Aug 6, 2010 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubz (Post 1336330673)
Yep, Battlefield is officially dead. Another incredible PC franchise crushed.

Consoles LOVE to ruin fun for PC gamers. I don't know how console gamers put up with such lack luster BS for games.

The BF franchise began to be ruined once they implemented that commander artillery BS in BF2. Outside of that BF2 was absolutely awesome, but that aspect nearly ruined it. Since then, nothing has been good. God I miss the days of BF1942 and it's expansions. I have 2 copies of BF1942 + expansions and two copies of BF2. I've NEVER spent that much on any other game, ever.

demo Aug 6, 2010 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawdler (Post 1336332423)
No its not :bleh:

Still many of us Battlefield fans that consider BF2 one of the worst BF games.
- Highly unbalanced jets due to broken AA. WWII planes was better and even the Vietnam jets where better (handheld AA was atleast available).
- It stripped the awesome class system found in Battlefield Vietnam, where you had more choices and turned it into point based unlocks. BF2142 was another twist on equipment and it was FAAAR superior to BF2.
- Simplistic armor penetration on most vehicles. BF1942 did this better (BF2142 brought it back).
- The squads was a nice idea, but ultimately flawed. It wasnt refined until BF2142 which did them ALOT better - best in the series so far (including BC2).
- Commander, same as above. Decent idea, poor execution. Carpet bombing every minute? Uh, stupid. The EMP/precision strike combo in BF2142 is so much better on a gameplay level its almost silly.
- Etc and so on.

Sure it brought better graphics, physics and sound to the series, plus revival and ammo handouts, which is about the only good things it did.

I want BF1942 2 with the added features of BF2142 (adapted of course) on the BC2 engine. Dont even need to bother with BF2.

Agreed, BF2 was fail imo. Far too much spam and poor gametypes and dolphin diving.. arggg how annoying, when in doubt go prone and throw 5 nades.. fail.

And I love the rush game type in BC2, sure beats running around in circles shooting each other in the back capturing flags if you ask me... titan mode in 2142 was ok, I'd like to see an adaption of that in BF3, like someone else said take out the enemy base or something.

Bearclaw Aug 6, 2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

YES.

Thanks for explaining this to me. Sounds good. Can't wait for BF3 now... :D

TriGGlety Aug 6, 2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Come on kids. There out to make money.
PC gaming is dead. Console gaming like on PCs is alive.

Live with it.

Scart Aug 6, 2010 09:16 AM

Multiplatform means absolutely nothing. If the game is DX10/11 and 64 bit optimized, it means that there are two very different games being developed.

{0}Salamander{0} Aug 6, 2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scart (Post 1336332721)
Multiplatform means absolutely nothing. If the game is DX10/11 and 64 bit optimized, it means that there are two very different games being developed.

Frankly I am getting confusing messages.

Yes DX10/11 does sound good as it means (in theory at least) that the game should be better optimised and make better use of current hardware. However I seem to recall hearing something similar about Bad Company 2? Wasn't BC2 meant to be DX10 and DX11 only, and they had to specially write a new DX9 path as they incorrectly "predicted" the uptake of DX10/11, which is why there is no AA in DX9 etc?

I also find it very hard to believe that they are going to make two totally different sets of enviroment maps. Could the consoles handle Gulf Of Oman or Daqing Oilfields? I'm not so sure.

I still think if you rub the box where it says BF3, a label will peel off and beneath it will say BC3.

Ninja6. Aug 6, 2010 10:48 AM

IMO, the bottom line is, consoles cannot handle 64 players, proper vehicles, map sizes + textures that should be in BF3 (going from a progression from BF2).

So if BF3 PC = BF3 console, it will not be as expected.

dawdler Aug 6, 2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demowhc (Post 1336332487)
And I love the rush game type in BC2, sure beats running around in circles shooting each other in the back capturing flags if you ask me... titan mode in 2142 was ok, I'd like to see an adaption of that in BF3, like someone else said take out the enemy base or something.

Rush is decent, but Titan mode was better - a mix between conquest and "rush". So many games where the endgame was incredibly intense. Some games where you even saw the enemy Titan start to explode, then the friendly Titan started exploding too, lol.

A better endgame for rush would be interesting, but it wont overcome its main flaw - its design by default is based on narrow passages. You cant really open up the maps either, because then it'd be far too easy to blow crates. Flags is a must for Battlefield gameplay IMO. In other words, I think Conquest with an "Rush"/"Titan" endgame is the way to go. Scrap Rush :bleh:

Maybe DICE will surprise us with the gameplay modes, but I'm doubtful to the bitter end...

xNaquada Aug 6, 2010 01:24 PM

LOL at all the BF1942 zealots in the thread.

WW2 FPS's are over. GG no RE. So boring....

Though I did love Desert Combat mod for 1942... (and thus what BF2 was based on)

{0}Salamander{0} Aug 6, 2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNaquada (Post 1336332962)
LOL at all the BF1942 zealots in the thread.

WW2 FPS's are over. GG no RE. So boring....

Though I did love Desert Combat mod for 1942... (and thus what BF2 was based on)

I don't think WWII games are dead and buried yet, its just "fashionable" now to do modern day combat. When the fickle fashion world decides WWII is "cool" again, we will get another slew of games. Give it a couple of years.

AllexxisF1 Aug 6, 2010 02:16 PM

WW2 will never be old in the Battlefield series. Hell no, in fact WW2 fits the format for the BF series better then any other genre.

Especially in terms of aircraft and ground attack.

The original is still the best and Forgotten Hope 2 for BF2 is another stellar achievement.

They could wrap some new graphics on BF1942 and I would play it in a second.

The one thing WW2 does better than any other time period is in its rifles and tactics. When soldiers are running around with long range rifles and assault rifles that are all over the place you have a dynamic battle space.

In modern combat is been dumped down so much, it's literally point and shoot with a Crayola bazooka.

Give me a WW2 BF Series any day of the week.