Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2nd SSD Advice (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34049527)

Arioch Jun 12, 2019 11:16 PM

2nd SSD Advice

Greetings gents,

I currently have a five-year old 240GB as my OS drive and 1TB 10K-RPM storage mechanical drive. Games are getting too big and my slow storage drive isn't cutting it anymore for my Steam library. I am about to pick up a Samsung 1TB 860 EVO and wondering which would be better.

1. Migrate the current SSD to the new drive and remove the old one.
2. Add the 2nd SSD as an additional drive itself and put my games on that.

Thanks!

ugly Jun 12, 2019 11:37 PM

Why do you need more than 240GB for an OS drive?

Buy the biggest slowest drive you can for the Steam library and everything else you need.

Use Steam Mover to move whichever game you're currently playing to the SSD. Leave everything else on the big, slow drive. And then when you're done with a game, move the game from the SSD back to the big, slow drive.

Even a massive game would only be about 60GB to move to the SSD. You should still have more than enough space for the OS, plus your other installed programs.

I have a 256GB SSD, and with the OS and all installed programs and a couple games temporarily moved to the SSD, I'm only using 67GB total. I have 95GB that I haven't even bothered to format.

I think a 1TB SSD is way overkill, unless it's a laptop or some other small form-factor PC that can only have one drive.

Och Jun 12, 2019 11:42 PM

It's silly to buy SSDs now, get a NVME m.2 drive.

Seyiji Jun 13, 2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Och (Post 1338137596)

+1

SSD's are dead!

DeathKnight Jun 13, 2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Och (Post 1338137596)

That's great if you have an M.2 slot. Not everyone does. I won't until my next upgrade (hopefully soon).

Seyiji Jun 13, 2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathKnight (Post 1338137628)
That's great if you have an M.2 slot. Not everyone does. I won't until my next upgrade (hopefully soon).

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=-1&#37...er&Order=PRICE

Get an adapter and use a free pci express slot or sata port until such upgrade occurs ^_^

No sense gimping ones self if doings be transprin in the future. Especially now that prices have been dropping like a rock on nvme drives.

In the words of Hapa don't be poor bro.

Mahjik Jun 13, 2019 08:25 AM

I'm not one that believes you have to have the latest and greatest for every upgrade. You mainly just need "better", in which a SSD is going to be "better" than what you currently have...

My two cents, depending on how much you want to spend, I would look at something like:

1 - Smallish SSD for your OS
1 - Medium to large SSD for your games
1 - Large platter drive for your longer term storage needs

If you don't need that longer term storage need, then just do two SSD's and enjoy.

bill dennison Jun 13, 2019 11:24 AM

can you really tell the difference between a NVME m.2 and sata ssd on a game drive load times
maybe with the new pcie 4.0 or not

I got a 1tb and a 2tb ssd for my games both 75% full and a 1tb ssd for boot and non games

and the m2's still cost more and max out at 2tb

not going to go m2 till these go bad

Nunz Jun 13, 2019 12:33 PM

NVMe is a waste of money. Get a large 1TB SATA3 M.2 or 2.5 SSD. The prices are so low, and the speed increase is a joke going from SATA3 to NVMe. Oh, 2 seconds instead of 2.8 seconds. Nothing that’s even noticeable..

I’d rather pay less for much larger storage space.

wabbitslayer Jun 13, 2019 06:37 PM

My $0.02 is get the cheapest 500GB SSD you trust (about $50) to replace your current SSD and then get a 2TB WD Black (about $110) to replace the storage drive.

That won't be much more than the 1TB EVO, and will give you two new reliable drives that are faster and more storage options than your current ones, and then you can move both to your next system.

Not sure why NVMe would even be brought up for this scenario.

Nunz Jun 13, 2019 08:30 PM

I think buying mechanical drives at this point is ridiculous unless you need it to a file server. If you need more than 1TB of storage, buy a 1TB now, and then another when that one fills up. But NVMe? Waste of money in just about every scenario.

bill dennison Jun 13, 2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338137730)
I think buying mechanical drives at this point is ridiculous unless you need it to a file server. If you need more than 1TB of storage, buy a 1TB now, and then another when that one fills up. But NVMe? Waste of money in just about every scenario.

unless your steam folder alone is bigger than 1tb

been waiting for a 860 EVO 4TB to go below 400 to get all these game apps on one drive

but yes NVMe is a waste but I do want to see how these new pcis 4.0 ones do in the real world and not just benchmarks

Nunz Jun 13, 2019 08:53 PM

My steam folder is well over 1TB if I have every game installed, but most people don’t do that, me included :lol:

I think the worst my steam folder ever got was 580GB, and that was because of a lot of mods for games like Total War

bill dennison Jun 13, 2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338137734)
My steam folder is well over 1TB if I have every game installed, but most people don’t do that, me included :lol:

I think the worst my steam folder ever got was 580GB, and that was because of a lot of mods for games like Total War

I switch from game to game to much :o

and don't like to wait for it to reload

last time I lost a system and had to reload everything cox cable was screaming at me for going well over 3tb in a month :lol:

KAC Jun 14, 2019 12:50 AM

Get 1TB or 2TB sata ssd.

Meteor_of_War Jun 14, 2019 08:15 AM

Keep using the old 240GB SSD for your OS. Probably still has a lot of life left.

Use the new Samsung 1TB for your games replacing the old spinning drive.

Keep the old spinning drive for general file storage.

Och Jun 14, 2019 09:04 AM

SSDs require two freaking wires, creating clutter. Once you go NVME you'll never go back to SSD.

Basically SSDs are an old tech that is being phased out, makes no sense to spend money on it now.

Meteor_of_War Jun 14, 2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Och (Post 1338137790)
SSDs require two freaking wires, creating clutter. Once you go NVME you'll never go back to SSD.

Basically SSDs are an old tech that is being phased out, makes no sense to spend money on it now.

Is this a sarcastic post? :lol:

No reason why the average PC user can't still buy [SATA] SSDs and use them for years to come. Especially if the current price is more cost effective than NVMe.

Spinning drives on the other hand are definitely outdated for anything except data storage at this point.

Nunz Jun 14, 2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

People are confusing the terminology. NVMe is a type of solid-state drive -- it is still an SSD. Along with that, you don't necessarily have to go NVMe to get rid of the wires/clutter; SATA M.2 plugs directly into the motherboard. It's still the same speeds of a SATA drive, without the wiring or need of a drive-bay as it's directly in the motherboards. The pricing on NVMe drives are usually quite high, but I actually just found the Crucial P1 1TB NVMe for $119, same price as the 1TB SATA M.2 equivalent.

For $119, that's a steal. Obviously, for the same price, I'd purchase an NVMe, but if you asked me if I would rather a 500GB NVMe vs a 1TB SATA3 for the same price, I'd go with the 1TB SATA3 every single time.

Link for those interested: https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-1TB-N...tronics&sr=1-6

I actually had no idea prices had dropped so low. I picked up a cheap laptop for $20 from a buddy at work, just for browsing when I'm away from home as well as car stuff .. just grabbed a Crucial MX500 250GB SSD for $35 bucks delivered off Amazon. Should make this little AMD FX APU a lot more snappy. Almost grabbed some RAM to go from 8GB to 16GB, but for $78 it's not worth it. Sweet!

wabbitslayer Jun 14, 2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Since OP's boot drive is 5 years old, it stands to reason his mobo is five years old as well. Where exactly would you suggest plugging that m.2 drive into his 2013/2014 vintage motherboard?

<insert beatingadeadhorse.gif here>

Meteor_of_War Jun 14, 2019 02:36 PM

Also worth noting if some are not aware, NVMe also comes in 2.5" form factor (U.2).

Och Jun 14, 2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338137818)
People are confusing the terminology. NVMe is a type of solid-state drive -- it is still an SSD. Along with that, you don't necessarily have to go NVMe to get rid of the wires/clutter; SATA M.2 plugs directly into the motherboard. It's still the same speeds of a SATA drive, without the wiring or need of a drive-bay as it's directly in the motherboards. The pricing on NVMe drives are usually quite high, but I actually just found the Crucial P1 1TB NVMe for $119, same price as the 1TB SATA M.2 equivalent.

For $119, that's a steal. Obviously, for the same price, I'd purchase an NVMe, but if you asked me if I would rather a 500GB NVMe vs a 1TB SATA3 for the same price, I'd go with the 1TB SATA3 every single time.

Link for those interested: https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-1TB-N...tronics&sr=1-6

I actually had no idea prices had dropped so low. I picked up a cheap laptop for $20 from a buddy at work, just for browsing when I'm away from home as well as car stuff .. just grabbed a Crucial MX500 250GB SSD for $35 bucks delivered off Amazon. Should make this little AMD FX APU a lot more snappy. Almost grabbed some RAM to go from 8GB to 16GB, but for $78 it's not worth it. Sweet!

Good points, M.2 is basically just a port, and it can work in SATA or PCI-E mode. M.2 NVME SSDs work in PCI-E mode, and that's what you want.

Och Jun 14, 2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabbitslayer (Post 1338137841)
Since OP's boot drive is 5 years old, it stands to reason his mobo is five years old as well. Where exactly would you suggest plugging that m.2 drive into his 2013/2014 vintage motherboard?

<insert beatingadeadhorse.gif here>

Yeah, and he's going to use this mobo for maybe 2 more years tops before upgrading, and end up with useless SATA SSD instead of investing in M.2 NVME drive now.

bill dennison Jun 14, 2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Corsair's MP600 SSD will feature PCIe 4.0 to support 5GBps transfers
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3397...transfers.html

if you get that x570 godlike with that M.2 XPANDER-Z for 777.00

you can put 4 of those MP600 SSD on it and get 20 GBps

wonder if it will do much real world

…….

"useless SATA SSD " :lol: :lol:

DigitalDemon Jun 14, 2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338137818)

I actually had no idea prices had dropped so low.

I am amazed there is literally no more price gap between nvme and regular sata/m.2 ssd. I always thought nvme would remain an upper class tier of drives, I guess that's gen4 now. I even made them the default drive for our systems we sell.

Och Jun 14, 2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalDemon (Post 1338137851)
I am amazed there is literally no more price gap between nvme and regular sata/m.2 ssd. I always thought nvme would remain an upper class tier of drives, I guess that's gen4 now. I even made them the default drive for our systems we sell.

There isn't much difference in price making NVME or Sata drive, the sata could even be more expensive to make with metal enclosure.

bill dennison Jun 14, 2019 03:39 PM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0786QNSBD...ing=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07822SVMS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFZXR1B...ing=UTF8&psc=1

2tb 289 to 333 to 499

and no 4tb m2's

i'll stick with the "useless SATA SSD " and they work with my drive caddies

https://www.amazon.com/ICY-DOCK-Back...%2C181&sr=8-43

Meteor_of_War Jun 14, 2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Och (Post 1338137847)
Yeah, and he's going to use this mobo for maybe 2 more years tops before upgrading, and end up with useless SATA SSD instead of investing in M.2 NVME drive now.

Please explain how the SATA SSD will becone useless in two more years.

Only way is if his next motherboard has no SATA ports but i don't see that happening that soon.

Och Jun 14, 2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338137870)
Please explain how the SATA SSD will becone useless in two more years.

Only way is if his next motherboard has no SATA ports but i don't see that happening that soon.

Well, not useless but it's going to be ancient much like IDE became when SATA started to take over. NVME M.2 is just such an elegant design, I can never go back to the clusterpluck of cable with SATA drives anymore.

Plus they are getting cheaper. I paid around $650 for 1TB 960 Evo back in 2017 for my build, and only about $500 for 2TB 970 EVO this year for my daughter's build.

Meteor_of_War Jun 14, 2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Och (Post 1338137888)
Well, not useless but it's going to be ancient much like IDE became when SATA started to take over. NVME M.2 is just such an elegant design, I can never go back to the clusterpluck of cable with SATA drives anymore.

Plus they are getting cheaper. I paid around $650 for 1TB 960 Evo back in 2017 for my build, and only about $500 for 2TB 970 EVO this year for my daughter's build.

The M.2 form factor is a nice improvement, no doubt.

But you seem to be really bothered by cables, lol. I don't think most people care that much, and price and performance meeting their needs is much more important.