Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   AMD Radeon Discussion and Support (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   How to upgrade 7850? (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33998266)

jlpktnst Feb 4, 2013 04:29 AM

How to upgrade 7850?

Got a nice 7850 2 GIG and all was fine.

But then I decided to go eyefinity 3 and the card is a bit underpowered for 3x1920x1200...

So now I can as I see it:
* sell the card and buy another (7950 or 7970 come to mind)
* buy an additional 7850 and do CFX
* wait for refresh?

Is there another option? Waiting seems pointless now since they moved all to Q4... also gotta mind the crazy 6000x1200 resolution.

I was running 5770 cfx'ed for a while and while I was quite satisfied most of the time I had some gripes with it. Any experience? Any additional problems with eyefinity? I know some games will get all stuttery, gamma stutter and all.

I am especially interested in GW2 and PoE handling. I never ran GW2 on CFX. Oh also, project Cars even has trouble running eyefinity, does it even run cfx?

Also there is a price factor, so comparable to what I have in cfx would be what, 7970? That one is quite pricey.

Hope I didn't duplicate content with this thread and thanks for your help in advance (and no, I am not considering nvidia).

Omega53 Feb 4, 2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlpktnst (Post 1337153858)
Got a nice 7850 2 GIG and all was fine.

But then I decided to go eyefinity 3 and the card is a bit underpowered for 3x1920x1200...

So now I can as I see it:
* sell the card and buy another (7950 or 7970 come to mind)
* buy an additional 7850 and do CFX
* wait for refresh?

Is there another option? Waiting seems pointless now since they moved all to Q4... also gotta mind the crazy 6000x1200 resolution.

I was running 5770 cfx'ed for a while and while I was quite satisfied most of the time I had some gripes with it. Any experience? Any additional problems with eyefinity? I know some games will get all stuttery, gamma stutter and all.

I am especially interested in GW2 and PoE handling. I never ran GW2 on CFX. Oh also, project Cars even has trouble running eyefinity, does it even run cfx?

Also there is a price factor, so comparable to what I have in cfx would be what, 7970? That one is quite pricey.

Hope I didn't duplicate content with this thread and thanks for your help in advance (and no, I am not considering nvidia).

At that resolution, it would almost be a necessity to buy at least 2 cards. I dont know if GW2 uses CFX tho...

jlpktnst Feb 4, 2013 08:41 AM

Exactly, right now it is kinda crappy, coolness factor aside. Also there is a ton of issues with cfx (also no way to switch it on/off seamlessly, no way to calibrate separate monitors and on and on). But for starters I gotta find a good + cheap way of upgrading what I have up to spec :)

caveman-jim Feb 4, 2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlpktnst (Post 1337153939)
Also there is a ton of issues with cfx

such as?
Quote:

also no way to switch it on/off seamlessly

yes there is
Quote:

no way to calibrate separate monitors

yes there is

jlpktnst Feb 5, 2013 02:42 PM

Issues with cfx I remember while running it:
* complete breakdown of a few games
* gamma flicker in certain titles
Both make it unplayable and force you to turn one card off. Sadly I know no quick way of doing it so its tedious. Or will it work if I use profiles? I remember not being able to do it that way (similar to eyefinity) but that was more than a year ago.

But yea, I might have made it sound a bit worse than I think it is. Though if you haven't noticed I am considering upgrading to cfx. I was runing 5770 in CFX for a while... I was just wondering how many of the old issues are still there. I remember scaling was VERY GOOD. But some games like GW2 claim they aren't supported. I can either google my eyes out or ask on a forum that I used for help in the past.

---
Eyefinity switch on/off seamlessly, tell me how. My CCC profiles ignore eyefinity. So this is what I did. Made my "normal" settings. Saved profile in CCC. Turned on eyefinity. Saved profile in CCC. Switching profiles does nothing now, and I would expect it to switch the mode.

---
Ok, I have this product: http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4pro/

Please teach me how to load color profiles when in eyefinity mode. I cannot seem to find a way (also google, stackexchange couldn't help me).

---
I might have overestimated a few points but as I see it some of it is quite valid. I am just a bit disappointed by the responses I got so far. Thanks for any additional useful info.

Crisler Feb 6, 2013 05:49 AM

Not sure that even a single 7970 would throw pixels well for gaming at that resolution. I would go with a dual 7850 setup and see how that works.

As for Eyefinity I will leave that to the experts here. I personally do not run multicard setups but that is a personal choice. I find that it was to hit and miss with game support meaning I often only got use of half my purchase. That has changed in recent titles however so it should be less of an issue.

Higgy10 Feb 6, 2013 11:53 AM

Hmm well if you dont have a problem going crossfire, a 2nd 7850 should perform better than a single 7970 and be a bit cheaper.

jlpktnst Feb 7, 2013 12:25 PM

Well gotta check a few benchies and tests before I do that, but I suspected as much.

Nothing against cfx per-se, just curious whether people had a lot of problems that aren't mentioned a lot. I know gw2 will be problematic in such a setup, my cpu probably chokes it and its really not optimised at all... still running myself on budget :P

Thanks for your thoughts.