Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   How long does HTC or Samsung take to update Android (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34000375)

Razeus Apr 22, 2013 08:47 AM

How long does HTC or Samsung take to update Android

Being that they are putting out phones just before the Google I/O, in which Key Lime Pie is expected to be shown off, how long do these two take to update to the latest OS?

CurrentlyPissed Apr 22, 2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337225164)
Being that they are putting out phones just before the Google I/O, in which Key Lime Pie is expected to be shown off, how long do these two take to update to the latest OS?

I've had both, being a Galaxy S Epic 4G, a Galaxy Note II. And also an HTC Evo 3D. HTC is by far quicker, and tends to provide updates longer. But both are more than reasonable.

At least in my expierence with those phones specifically I'd say current phones receive the update in 2-3 months after release on carrier specific phones. International, and unlocked phones within 1-2 months.

That being said, it did take awhile for the 4.0 ICS for the HTC Evo 3D (around 6 months from release). But that wasn't exactly a small update. And was a carrier phone.

The PyroPath Apr 22, 2013 09:08 AM

So this isn't just the stuff from legend but they actually update their phones? :eek:

Razeus Apr 22, 2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed (Post 1337225167)
I've had both, being a Galaxy S Epic 4G, a Galaxy Note II. And also an HTC Evo 3D. HTC is by far quicker, and tends to provide updates longer. But both are more than reasonable.

At least in my expierence with those phones specifically I'd say current phones receive the update in 2-3 months after release on carrier specific phones. International, and unlocked phones within 1-2 months.

That being said, it did take awhile for the 4.0 ICS for the HTC Evo 3D (around 6 months from release). But that wasn't exactly a small update. And was a carrier phone.

2-3 months? Wow.

Time to read up on what Android CAN'T do that iOS does.

Spyder Apr 22, 2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337225172)

if you find out, mind sharing in a post? i'm genuinely curious

Razeus Apr 22, 2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 1337225177)
if you find out, mind sharing in a post? i'm genuinely curious

For one, being able to watch something on my iPhone and continue on my iPad. Still reading up though.

Zero Apr 22, 2013 09:44 AM

Android devices will never be in step with the latest Android release, save maybe Nexus devices. It's just done another way on this platform, think differently :bleh:

<-Annoyed that my current flagship phone got JB 6 months after open source release.

CurrentlyPissed Apr 22, 2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337225172)
2-3 months? Wow.

When you say "wow" is that in a good, or bad sense? I don't see it being that unreasonable at all. Even more so with carrier specific phones since they are the ones that severely hold up the process forcing them to be approved, and update their own crap.

Now again, those are in refrence to whole updates, like 3.0-4.0 since that's what your question referenced.. . I'm not talking like 4.0.1, 4.0.2. Those are relatively quick.

That being said, it's a different platform than Apple. It's not all "in-house" tech. Their are vast configurations, different carrier branding, different model branding, and so much more detail per device. You really can't compare the two in updates. (apple to android).

EDIT*** Wanted to add. Now if you do go with custom roms. Usually you can get them within a few days.

Spyder Apr 22, 2013 10:00 AM

yeah its the carriers that inflate the update times to retarded levels.

its why if i got a smart phone i'd buy an unlocked nexus device straight from google.

Razeus Apr 22, 2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 1337225224)
yeah its the carriers that inflate the update times to retarded levels.

its why if i got a smart phone i'd buy an unlocked nexus device straight from google.

That's the preferred way I'd go, but the Google phone doesn't hav LTE and has all that glitter on the back of it.

I'm just doing research for now, as I'm waiting to see what happens at Google i/o and what Apple's event has in store.

Mahjik Apr 22, 2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed (Post 1337225167)

I haven't owned a Samsung (yet, plan to get the Galaxy 4s) but I've owned HTC's for the last several years. From hanging around some of the forums, I'd say CurrentlyPissed hit it. I will say that HTC updated the original Evo 4g for a LONG time (a lot longer than I thought they would). Samsung seems to drop support much quicker.

Danny Nissan Apr 22, 2013 12:29 PM

I´m not really happy about this "issue" on "android-based" phones, which is why i got the nexus 4 to begin with.

The HTC one (new premium HTC device) comes with 4.1.2. The galaxy s3 (most popular phone of 2012) is also on 4.1.2. The nexus 4 I got in december already had 4.2.1 on it at that time! It's nearing the end of april and none of these phones have recieved 4.2.X. 2-3 months is very optimistic, I would say its more of a 4-6 months for FLAGSHIP devices to get updates, and even LONGER waits for lesser phones to recieve updates.

Spyder Apr 22, 2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337225231)
That's the preferred way I'd go, but the Google phone doesn't hav LTE and has all that glitter on the back of it.

I'm just doing research for now, as I'm waiting to see what happens at Google i/o and what Apple's event has in store.

Good call. I haven't bought a Nexus 4 yet either because of Google I/O. Rumors on the Nexus 4 refresh look good. I'd likely buy one today if they had a 32gb model.

Anywho I plan to go data-only plan and use Fongo for any calls I may need to make. Cuts our retarded canadian $50/mth (minimum) plans down to $20. Much more affordable.

Razeus Apr 22, 2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Nissan (Post 1337225369)
I´m not really happy about this "issue" on "android-based" phones, which is why i got the nexus 4 to begin with.

The HTC one (new premium HTC device) comes with 4.1.2. The galaxy s3 (most popular phone of 2012) is also on 4.1.2. The nexus 4 I got in december already had 4.2.1 on it at that time! It's nearing the end of april and none of these phones have recieved 4.2.X. 2-3 months is very optimistic, I would say its more of a 4-6 months for FLAGSHIP devices to get updates, and even LONGER waits for lesser phones to recieve updates.

I was disappoint to read that the HTC One didn't have the latest version of Android. Bizarre, especially since it's a point release. This has to be a dev's worst nightmare. Apparently, the FTC is suppose to step in an solved this issue.

Chuki Apr 22, 2013 02:01 PM

HTCs track record of keeping there handsets updated has gone to hell. The EVO4G was updated quite awhile, the 3d was updated to ics 9 months after release, then HTC dropped it. The EVO4G LTE has only recently been updated to Jelly Bean. I also have some EVO designs in my family, and HTC has dropped the ball with keeping them updated. The ICS update for that phone is so slow and clunky.

Samsung? I have a Galaxy S3, and Jellybean was released a think around 2 months after source. There has also been several updates, to fix and add features. Premium suite is on it's way too, I have the latest leak on my phone, but Samsung is continuing to add features. They've also upgraded the Galaxy s2 to Jelly bean, and have stated it will get the latest release of Android 4.2.2 as well.

I was possibly considering going back to HTC, but with the HTC one only having android 4.1, and now they're announcing all these other phones they're producing. When they keep coming out and saying they're slimming down there annual device portfolio, and just keep making different handsets.

I'll stick with Samsung again this round, waiting on the Note 3.

My opinion? Samsung supports there devices now far better then HTC does now.

Elysian Apr 22, 2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Have you even seen a Nexus 4 in person? The back is far from glittery, the pattern on the back looks awesome.

Samsung is easily the best at updating in a timely manner now, HTC isn't even close. Things are very different from even 2 years ago.

Danny Nissan Apr 22, 2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuki (Post 1337225439)
My opinion? Samsung supports there devices now far better then HTC does now.

I'll have to agree. As you said, the galaxy s2 got 4.1.2, but the htc sensation (basicly the flahship from the same year) is stuck on 4.0.4 and will most likely never get jelly bean which is very lame since that is a very capable phone with a dualcore 1.2ghz/1gb ram (thats like iphone 5 specs?!).

Luckely there are ROMs but regular people will not s-off and root HTC devices easily.

Sazar Apr 22, 2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

The rumors about the new Motorola/Google Nexus phone are quite nice.

If it is comes out at the same price as the previous iteration, it'll be a nice buy. And it's supposed to have LTE.

Elysian Apr 22, 2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1337225667)
The rumors about the new Motorola/Google Nexus phone are quite nice.

If it is comes out at the same price as the previous iteration, it'll be a nice buy. And it's supposed to have LTE.

In before FX Moto hate :bleh:

Razeus Apr 24, 2013 08:28 AM

Reading stuff like this makes me nervous. Isn't this their flagship from 2012?

http://www.androidauthority.com/last...update-195802/

Quote:

Earlier this month, it was revealed that the HTC One X might be getting the update to Android 4.2.2 in June or July, but now an unconfirmed report says that the update to the latest version of Jelly Bean will be the last operating system upgrade the HTC One X gets.

caveman-jim Apr 24, 2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337225164)

12-18mo.

If you want Key Lime Pie buy a device with it on it.

Spyder Apr 24, 2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337226959)
Reading stuff like this makes me nervous. Isn't this their flagship from 2012?

http://www.androidauthority.com/last...update-195802/

HTC just pulling the plug for updates on it apparently. All the more reason to go with an unlocked nexus device :)

Razeus Apr 24, 2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 1337226966)
HTC just pulling the plug for updates on it apparently. All the more reason to go with an unlocked nexus device :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1337226965)
12-18mo.

If you want Key Lime Pie buy a device with it on it.

If I'm going to locked in a 2 year contract, this isn't the news I'd like to hear. I still can't find info if the HTC One will even get 4.2.2, or even Key Lime Pie. Hopefully we'll find out next month. Glad I have a couple of months to decide as I'd rather just buy a phone with the latest OS rather than wondering if it ever will, with Google's event in May and Apple's event in June.

CurrentlyPissed Apr 24, 2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337226978)
If I'm going to locked in a 2 year contract, this isn't the news I'd like to hear. I still can't find info if the HTC One will even get 4.2.2, or even Key Lime Pie. Hopefully we'll find out next month. Glad I have a couple of months to decide as I'd rather just buy a phone with the latest OS rather than wondering if it ever will, with Google's event in May and Apple's event in June.

Gaurenteed it will get it, if your willing to use roms.

Razeus Apr 24, 2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed (Post 1337227016)
Gaurenteed it will get it, if your willing to use roms.

True. But I'lll wait until the end of June when all the options are out there. Sure, HTC may say, "ya, HTC One will get Key Lime Pie", but that really means in 3-12 months...HTC may be too risky all together, but with ROMs, it may be a moot point.

CurrentlyPissed Apr 24, 2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337227018)
True. But I'lll wait until the end of June when all the options are out there. Sure, HTC may say, "ya, HTC One will get Key Lime Pie", but that really means in 3-12 months...HTC may be too risky all together, but with ROMs, it may be a moot point.

Well the nice thing about the ONE, is there is "Developer Edition" phones, specificaly for those wanting to.. Develop for them. They all come with an unlocked boot loader (for now they say). So the stuff out there for the one should be far and wide, and few inbetween.

HTC seems like the only company that actually still cares about people developing things for. That was one huge issue with the Note 2, alot of the main developers dropped out because the exynos support was god aweful.

VW_Factor Apr 24, 2013 10:58 AM

Unlock your Android device. Update for whatever reason you want, whenever you want.

wc326 Apr 24, 2013 12:07 PM

if you are on android. you can get update to date by going to xda

Zero Apr 24, 2013 01:24 PM

ROMs don't always offer full functionality of stock depending on the whether or not the manufacturer releases some of their device-specific source (eg Exynos support mentioned above).

Plus they're never completely stable, always works-in-progress. It's a tradeoff for functionality either way.

VW_Factor Apr 24, 2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 1337227324)
ROMs don't always offer full functionality of stock depending on the whether or not the manufacturer releases some of their device-specific source (eg Exynos support mentioned above).

Plus they're never completely stable, always works-in-progress. It's a tradeoff for functionality either way.

You don't have to flash an entire ROM to update.

Edit : I realize this may still depend on which device you are working with.