Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   mobo drivers/software updates (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34049981)

atomBomb Sep 18, 2019 07:15 AM

mobo drivers/software updates

I was just thinking what is the current situation with the motherboard drivers and software, who is best at keeping drivers updated for motherboard? Im kind of disappointed my Asus Maximus Impact VII hasn't seen any drivers or software updates since 2016. I would had to turn up to hacks for audio, ME etc if i wanted more than windows basic features.

I know MSI has kept AMD bios'ses good and updated, what about asrock, gigabyte etc? Whats the current feelings who is software king of mobos?

Hapatingjaky Sep 18, 2019 08:11 AM

Use Station drivers. That's pretty much where I go.

Your board unfortunately is out dated snow. Pretty much end of life by Asus. Once a newer board / chipset pops up the manufacturer moves on, unless a security concern happens.

atomBomb Sep 20, 2019 06:37 AM

Well, thats why I was asking if any of the manufacturer's are better than others. Someone like Dell or Lenovo supports their products for few years at least..

It can't be that your 1 year old mobo is soo ancient that there's no drivers.. (even though asmedia, realtek etc does update the drivers)

Hapatingjaky Sep 20, 2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomBomb (Post 1338153143)
Well, thats why I was asking if any of the manufacturer's are better than others. Someone like Dell or Lenovo supports their products for few years at least..

It can't be that your 1 year old mobo is soo ancient that there's no drivers.. (even though asmedia, realtek etc does update the drivers)

I've found Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte too be bad when it comes to supporting the boards. Once a new chipset or new model of board comes out you rarely see a bios update.

MSI is hit and miss.

Evga is on the ball when it comes to updating the drivers.

I've just always used station drivers for the latest and greatest while guru3d forums usually has some awesome unreleased GPU drivers.

For strictly bios updates I usually modify the latest firmware for say, LAN, MEI, Sata/NVME in to the latest bios I can find on station drivers for my board.

Mahjik Sep 20, 2019 10:58 AM

You can't really predict how long a motherboard will be supported. Pretty much all of these motherboard manufacturers are not responsible for the companies that own the chipsets and how often they update those chipsets. Granted, there are other things to patch with BIOS updates but for the most part, the motherboard manufacturers are at the mercy of the chip makers.

Munkus Sep 20, 2019 11:02 AM

My MSI board came with a tool that reaches out to the chipset mfg sites to look for updates. I still get updates for Intel chipset and audio drivers, and the board is 4 years old. No BIOS updates in about a year, tho, but that's not surprising.

howard stern Sep 20, 2019 03:10 PM

Always go directly to the vendors website, chipset go to AMD or Intel, Network card go directly to the company that made the chip.

I have an evga video card, never once did i download a driver from their website I go directly to Nvidia. Just my 2 cents.

atomBomb Sep 21, 2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howard stern (Post 1338153245)
Always go directly to the vendors website, chipset go to AMD or Intel, Network card go directly to the company that made the chip.

I have an evga video card, never once did i download a driver from their website I go directly to Nvidia. Just my 2 cents.

I just want to say my first Nvidia card was Riva TNT, so iv done my share of the nvidia driver updates.. well since ever.

Hapatingjaky Sep 21, 2019 10:00 AM

You are on an Enthusiast Forum for PC hardware and software yet you use the Vendor sites for drivers??? :p

Currently using 440.52 for Nvidia since its part of a new Branch.

Current Supported / Beta Driver 436.30
Current Vulkan / WDDM Driver 436.39
Current Insider Driver 440.52

howard stern Sep 27, 2019 12:31 PM

I am not an insider :D