Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Console Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   New retro console games (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34048507)

SubCog Nov 13, 2018 07:43 PM

New retro console games

I'm really fascinated by this trend of making homebrew games for retro consoles. I'll post some examples in this thread.

[NES]Micro Mages, very fun game, movement reminds me alot of super meat boy. I played 3 player at PRGE this year. Super impressive.

Cool video about how they fit it in 40kb.

SubCog Nov 13, 2018 07:48 PM

Sydney Hunter games, coming out on nearly everything, including SNES, Master System, Colecovision, C64, etc. (also switch, xbone, ps4)

This is a venture from a youtuber named Gamester81, along with a team of devs. I saw him showcase the switch version at PGRE this year. Game looks great, and takes cues from many games, but its biggest influence is Montezuma's revenge.

Master system version:

Switch version:

SubCog Nov 13, 2018 07:55 PM

[Genesis]Wolfenstein 3d - Amazing port that really shouldn't be able to exist. I don't think it's been released on a cartridge at this point, but apparently runs great on an everdrive.

Side-by-side comparison against the SNES version. Keep in mind that the SNES version uses the FX2 chipset, while the Genesis version has no special chips.

SubCog Nov 13, 2018 07:59 PM

[Atari 2600]Pac-Man 4k - Amazing modern port that fits in the same 4k constraints as the official Pac-Man game for the 2600.

Compare against the original Pac-Man for 2600, prolly the worst pacman game ever.

Also check out Pac-Man 8k, which really takes it to the next level. Although I believe it's a different author, but clearly using many of the same tricks as teh 4k version.

Seyiji Nov 13, 2018 09:08 PM

Oh hai..

Also..

Also on Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/837190/TANGLEWOOD/

SubCog Jan 28, 2021 04:35 PM

Here's an in-progress version of Doom. Runs surprisingly smooth. Hopefully this is real and it actually launches someday.

I modded a controller to play wolfenstein with shoulder strafe buttons. Hopefully Doom will be able to use it too?

SubCog Jan 28, 2021 04:40 PM

More Genesis games:

Xeno Crisis, amazing twin-stick shooter, looks alot like Smash TV:

Paprium, which is on an 80mb cart:

SubCog Jan 28, 2021 04:48 PM

Also, there's a homebrew version of Doom for 3D0 that runs alot better than the official version:

OptidDoom

Compare to the official 3D0 port, for reference:

OverclockN' Jan 28, 2021 07:35 PM

Xeno Crisis looks like amazing fun! Man, I really like Smash TV, so that one hits home. :drool:

DeathKnight Jan 28, 2021 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338264408)

Compare to the official 3D0 port, for reference:

Here's an interesting story from the developer who did the 3DO port and why it was bad (short story: not enough time)

Crawdaddy79 Feb 2, 2021 07:03 AM

^Interesting story about typical corporate shenanigans, of which I was unaware in 1996. All I knew was the 3DO port was awful. Compared to a game like PO'ed it was clearly not a hardware limitation that held it back.

The Jaguar port was very well done in comparison.

EDIT: Still watching. Neat to see the person who essentially built Killing Time. That was a fantastic game. Used FMV sequences and integrated it into the map so that live action ghosts looked and acted like holograms.

SubCog Feb 2, 2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 (Post 1338265367)
^Interesting story about typical corporate shenanigans, of which I was unaware in 1996. All I knew was the 3DO port was awful. Compared to a game like PO'ed it was clearly not a hardware limitation that held it back.

The Jaguar port was very well done in comparison.

EDIT: Still watching. Neat to see the person who essentially built Killing Time. That was a fantastic game. Used FMV sequences and integrated it into the map so that live action ghosts looked and acted like holograms.

So the Saturn had multiple games that released early in sub-par states, and then later released improved versions of. Virtual Fighter, Daytona, and maybe a few others? Maybe 3D0 should have done that too.

Trunks0 Feb 2, 2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338265422)
So the Saturn had multiple games that released early in sub-par states, and then later released improved versions of. Virtual Fighter, Daytona, and maybe a few others? Maybe 3D0 should have done that too.

The 3DO wasn't a success, so there probably wasn't enough of a call for it.

SubCog Mar 10, 2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338264404)
Here's an in-progress version of Doom. Runs surprisingly smooth. Hopefully this is real and it actually launches someday.

Well shoot, it's not really real afterall... turns out it's doing most of the game's processing on the FPGA on the mega everdrive. So it's not a hyper-optimized port running on the Genesis hardware. Cool project, but I was hoping for something different, and frankly something impossible.

Sasquach Mar 11, 2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338103698)
[Genesis]Wolfenstein 3d - Amazing port that really shouldn't be able to exist. I don't think it's been released on a cartridge at this point, but apparently runs great on an everdrive.

Side-by-side comparison against the SNES version. Keep in mind that the SNES version uses the FX2 chipset, while the Genesis version has no special chips.

Didnt wolf3d snes come out before any of the super FX chips? I thought it was strictly mode7 effects.

It was DOOM That uses the FX2 chip, and surprisingly was a better port than some of its more powerful counterparts.

Mangler Mar 11, 2021 09:44 AM

There's no fancy chips in the wolf3d cart.

SubCog Mar 11, 2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1338273829)
Didnt wolf3d snes come out before any of the super FX chips? I thought it was strictly mode7 effects.

It was DOOM That uses the FX2 chip, and surprisingly was a better port than some of its more powerful counterparts.

Oh, you're right. I'm getting it mixed up with Doom.

Nascar24 Mar 13, 2021 06:59 PM

My last couple of days retro purchases, heavily marked down at Walmart.

And now both are out of stock, I was surprised they lasted 2 days in stock as the markdowns were more then 50 percent. The Atgames setup looks like it can do alot as well as being wireless.

borat Mar 13, 2021 10:09 PM

Damn, those are both awesome! Personally I think I'd prefer separate joysticks. I get that it's meant to be like actual arcades, but that's a bit unwieldy. Are you gonna put it on a coffee table? I'd even consider some sort of standup platform if you wanna be super authentic.

Still, awesome!

Nascar24 Mar 13, 2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borat (Post 1338274426)
Damn, those are both awesome! Personally I think I'd prefer separate joysticks. I get that it's meant to be like actual arcades, but that's a bit unwieldy. Are you gonna put it on a coffee table? I'd even consider some sort of standup platform if you wanna be super authentic.

Still, awesome!

Going to decorate my living room with retro.:D, I have a small 2 chair bar type setup I'm going to stick the small Galaga cabinet on and I will see and not sure how well it will work out but I have a double wide foot stool that is the same height as the love seat/couch I'm going to set it on and connect the wireless station that comes with it to the 65" TV in the living room. Feel that might be to low but I guess I will see. I also have a sturdy folding type table that might make it better. I also like the ability to use this for my PinballFX games on steam with the buttons on the side like a pinball machine. I can connect it to my PC through USB if I want to use it for games for steam.

Also the plus with the duel sticks they have them so you can use it for dual stick games such as Robotron and smashTV.

SubCog Mar 14, 2021 12:39 PM

Nascar24 Mar 14, 2021 04:23 PM

Just got the table top Galaga and for $49 itís pretty good, would not spend the retail price of $129 on it or even higher for some of the different game ones they have. First game I played I believe I got further then I ever did playing it on my PC, classic arcade controls for the win.:lol:

Nascar24 Mar 15, 2021 07:17 PM

Wholly crap CoinOPS for PC is completely awesome! Didn't even know it existed till I bought this atGames dual stick setup.

Nascar24 Mar 16, 2021 09:23 PM

Received the atgames dual arcade stick & trackball today, while the Bluetooth connectivity was a pain to initially get working the $99(regular $229)price was more then worth it for awesome arcade retro action with the BYO built in. Will give it a try on steam with the pinball flipper buttons and PinballFX3. Although I believe the Coinops presentation in windows is better with all that extra PC horsepower

borat Mar 20, 2021 11:39 AM

I actually quite like the idea of a bar type table for the joysticks with some optional stools for arcade authenticity but I assume you're talking about a bar that doesn't move? Also, I imagine since it's a living room that people would rather sit on the couch to which I say PFFT!

Nascar24 Mar 20, 2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borat (Post 1338275622)
I actually quite like the idea of a bar type table for the joysticks with some optional stools for arcade authenticity but I assume you're talking about a bar that doesn't move? Also, I imagine since it's a living room that people would rather sit on the couch to which I say PFFT!

Yea itís just a bar type table off the kitchen, but it is actually part of the living room so you can also watch the TV after playing a game of galaga, would like to get the Pac-Man table top for the other chair but would never pay the actual retail prices for it, I see the Ms Pac-Man is going for $169 and included Pac-Man but no way I would pay that for one of these.

Nascar24 Apr 7, 2021 01:30 PM

Back on the retro fun kick I would like to get a hold of one of these. Although definitely not cheap at $699. The other issue I would have is where I would put it.:hmm: Also like everything this year, not easy to just go and purchase at the moment either.

Nascar24 Apr 29, 2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338279301)
Back on the retro fun kick I would like to get a hold of one of these. Although definitely not cheap at $699. The other issue I would have is where I would put it.:hmm: Also like everything this year, not easy to just go and purchase at the moment either.

WTF, These go as quick as Video cards, tried picking one up today and it sold out before I could pay. Less then a minute. I really don't need it though as its probably best it did at $850 shipped!:eek: I enjoy my pinball though.

SubCog Apr 29, 2021 05:02 PM

If anyone wants a cheaper way to do video pinball, it's worth noting that you can now run Pinball FX3 on a raspberry pi. Just sayin.

Nascar24 Apr 29, 2021 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338282911)
If anyone wants a cheaper way to do video pinball, it's worth noting that you can now run Pinball FX3 on a raspberry pi. Just sayin.

I was looking for the real experience. I play alot of pinball just on my PC. Honestly at $850 there is nothing close to this price at this time with the expandability the atgames pinball has.